2006 White Sox Catch-All Thread

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)
Squert I worded the question reasonably not like a mama's boy.

Why yu so upset?

I'm trying to figure out reasons we are faltering and just looking

for some answers from those in the know. Peace.

I'm not really upset. It's just annoying to hear people keep bringing up the loss of Rowand as if he was the nucleus of the team or the sole reason we won it all. He was an OK player who had 2 or 3 very close friends on the team. There are 25 players on this club. Several of them weren't even here last year to know what it's like to miss Rowand in the first place. I'm sure they are man enough to move on in life.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
Food for thought, tell me I'm a moron if you feel so:

I approve completely of the Thome trade cause I love Thome.

However, for Steff or whomever knows the players.

Do you think Rowand's loss kills our club's personality?

Was he one of those incredible guys in the clubhouse we miss big time?

Or would nothing matter with the way our starters are going?

I just wonder if Rowand's personality more than his bat/glove even

have been a vital loss to the squad.

1.) Brian Anderson is a better baseball player than Aaron Rowand.

2.) The White Sox were quite good for half of this season without Rowand.

3.) They are now losing because 3/5 starting pitchers are toast, the defense is pathetic and the timely hitting has gone out the window.

4.) Winning brings chemistry, not the other way around.

Rowand would not fix any of these. He was a good player for the Sox but his absence has absolutely nothing to do with the 2nd half failures of this ballclub.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 04:48 AM)
Squert I worded the question reasonably not like a mama's boy.

Why yu so upset?

I'm trying to figure out reasons we are faltering and just looking

for some answers from those in the know. Peace.

Jim Thome is one of the best teammates in all of sports. The only thing that having Rowand on this team would have helped with is preventing Mackowiak from screwing up in CF. I think people forget how much Rowand struggled at times last year, especially towards the end of the season/playoffs.

3.) They are now losing because 3/5 starting pitchers are toast, the defense is pathetic and the timely hitting has gone out the window.

Good posts by squert and you and fathom.

I would have to say 3.) is a great answer to the Sox problems.

As far as 4 I agree winning brings chemistry and not the other way around but some players'

personalities are conducive to winning. If Rowand only had 2-3 close friends then I buy that and

say not a big deal. I just wondered if he was the kind of guy who sparked everybody.

If the defense is pathetic, whose fault is that? Is Uribe the guy we should dump? It's got to be

more than Mack and Scotty on the defensive end sucking.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 05:04 AM)
If Rowand only had 2-3 close friends then I buy that and

say not a big deal. I just wondered if he was the kind of guy who sparked everybody.

If the defense is pathetic, whose fault is that? Is Uribe the guy we should dump? It's got to be

Let's see:

- Dye's lost a step in right field. He's also not charging the ball very well at all, and it's preventing him from throwing guys out on the bases.

- Mackowiak isn't a CF, plain and simple.

- Anderson's been very good, but is still prone to some mental mistakes out there. His throwing arm, while quite strong, has been a huge disappointment this year. He's not thrown out anyone on the bases.

- Pods....probably the weakest hitting should be DH in baseball history.

Our double play turns haven't been great this year. We've failed to convert quite a few DP opportunities, and some of them have cost us games. Also, our catching has been extremely poor this season in terms of throwing and receiving plays at the plate. Kudos though to our catchers for preventing more wild pitches. It was an epidemic last season.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 12:04 AM)

It's the all-around team defense, they're all slumping defensively right now. Hell even the 2nd best defensive player on the team in Brian Anderson had some problems in CF tonight. The team moral is absolutely pathetic right now, they're losing, losing badly and feeling sorry for themselves is what I'm thinking.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 01:05 AM)
It was all the mullets.

And morons. People cheering during the Rangers rally in the 6th(or 7th I don't remember which) because the wave was going around the park. Unacceptable.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 05:55 AM)
1.) Brian Anderson is a better baseball player than Aaron Rowand.

2.) The White Sox were quite good for half of this season without Rowand.

Rowand would not fix any of these. He was a good player for the Sox but his absence has absolutely nothing to do with the 2nd half failures of this ballclub.

I concur completely.

Oh and in case no one had mentioned it befor; that banner is top class.

Edited by DePloderer

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 01:08 AM)
And morons. People cheering during the Rangers rally in the 6th(or 7th I don't remember which) because the wave was going around the park. Unacceptable.

There were a bunch of morons wearing tiger hats cheering on the Rangers in my section.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
Maybe it's last year, but I just trust Neal more.

Yesterday was another perfect example why Thornton has gained my trust over Neil.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
“As soon as they score runs, everybody’s kind of, ‘Oh, we lost already,’æ” Buehrle said.

This speaks volumes about their mental state right now.

Wow! Yet Hawk states that everything is fine in the clubhouse. This is where Ozzie needs to step up and do the thing he's best at, which is motivate the team.

Anyone else see this from the Sox page on ESPN?

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen warned the Rangers about throwing at his team before the game and he hopes they got the message. He also acknowledged to them that he tried to retaliate in Texas. ``They better. I just went to the cage and hugged everybody on the (Rangers) ballclub,'' said Guillen. ``I hugged (Mark) De Rosa, (Hank) Blalock. I told them, ``Yeah, I told the guy (Sean Tracey) to hit you. ``But if something happens, it's on.'' Guillen hasn't been happy with the team's bunting. He worked with Brian Anderson, Juan Uribe and Scott Podsednik before the game on bunting. ``When you've got Ozzie Guillen and Joey Cora and Tim Raines on your coaching staff and you stink at bunting then you're not taking advantage of your coaching, you don't want to learn or you don't care. If they think that was for fun, no. They're going to be there for a long time. Today they were out there at 4, tomorrow will be at 3, Monday will be at 2, Tuesday will be at 2, and Wednesday at 2. They've got to show me they're going to do the bunting and the little things or it's going to be instructional league for them. Because this is embarrassing. It's embarrassing for a big league ballclub to not do the things that they're supposed to do,'' said Guillen.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 09:45 AM)
Anyone else see this from the Sox page on ESPN?

This is exactly the type of balls Manuel didn't have a few years back when the Sox fundementals got awful. I'm glad Ozzie is out there busting these guys for the pathetic execution.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 08:15 AM)
Yesterday was another perfect example why Thornton has gained my trust over Neil.

I'd say actually that yesterday is a perfect example of why Neal Cotts should never pitch to Kevin Mench. Kevin Mench has an OPS of 5.000 against Neal Cotts in 3 at bats.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
I'd say actually that yesterday is a perfect example of why Neal Cotts should never pitch to Kevin Mench. Kevin Mench has an OPS of 5.000 against Neal Cotts in 3 at bats.

Kevin Mench would look great in LF for us. He'd really help our offense against lefties.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
Former Sox organization member, Alex Escobar, looks very good in his brief stint this season.

Oddly enough, as so many assumed Owens was stolen for him, Escobar probably could really help the White Sox this season if he could remain healthy which probably is a huge question.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
Oddly enough, as so many assumed Owens was stolen for him, Escobar probably could really help the White Sox this season if he could remain healthy which probably is a huge question.

He can bearly walk right now, everytime you see him run he's hobbling. I doubt he makes it through the week without going back on the DL.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
Former Sox organization member, Alex Escobar, looks very good in his brief stint this season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
He can bearly walk right now, everytime you see him run he's hobbling. I doubt he makes it through the week without going back on the DL.

Plus he's been put back through waivers, going unclaimed. Escobar wasn't wanted by anyone. Maybe if he does something for the rest of the season he can earn a back-up role next year. but more than likely he'll just get hurt again and pass through waivers a few more times before he calls it a career.