Hello Mr. Anderson

BigSqwert

Link

Anderson on exit ramp

Guillen appears close to shipping slumping Sox rookie to Triple A

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

May 27, 2006

TORONTO -- A two-month slump and a potential need for another reliever could end rookie Brian Anderson's honeymoon with the White Sox.

Rob Mackowiak started Saturday for the fourth time in six games in place of Anderson, and manager Ozzie Guillen intimated that he would continue to start the lineup with the best chance of producing.

Guillen said he would talk to general manager Ken Williams after the team arrives in Cleveland on Sunday night to discuss options following the Indians series.

One scenario could involve sending Anderson to Triple-A Charlotte, where he can try to regain his batting eye and stroke.

But Anderson might have gained a temporary reprieve by hitting a line single off Jason Frasor leading off the 11th inning Saturday to snap an 0-for-13 slump.

"I don't want to take the confidence away from him," Guillen said before Saturday's game.

"I believe he can play in this league. I believe we have a case like the [Jon] Garlands and [Joe] Credes. I try to be patient with him.

"All of a sudden, [he might] give me good at-bats.

"Getting hits is hard, getting good at-bats is easy, and right now he's not giving me good at-bats.

"The next time he plays, hopefully he'll give me good at-bats, and we'll see what's going on."

Anderson's biggest tests could come on Monday and Tuesday when the Sox face Cleveland left-handers Cliff Lee and C.C. Sabathia.

Anderson is batting only .122 (6-for-49) against left-handers this season, and Guillen admitted his biggest problem now is carrying a bench with too many left-handed hitters (Mackowiak, Ross Gload and switch-hitter Alex Cintron).

"If we keep [Anderson] here, he'd better start swinging the bat better," Guillen said.

Gload and Pablo Ozuna also can play the outfield, which makes it easier for the Sox to carry a 12th pitcher if needed.

"My problem is we're facing Cleveland and Detroit, and Detroit has two lefties (Nate Robertson and Kenny Rogers) and Cleveland has two (Lee and Sabathia)," Guillen said.

"And that's my concern right now if I have to make a move. After the Cleveland series, we'll see what we're going to do.

"But to me, I'm leaning toward another pitcher."

Edited by greasywheels121

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
If Anderson is shipped out, we're in trouble. One of the main reasons this team has such good pitching is because of the amazing defense that is played behind them. We're going to be seeing outfields of Pods>MackPods

^^^

I don't like this at all. And to suggest that he'd want another pitcher up is pretty foolish, considering Ozzie still really hasn't figured out how to use the current pen effectively. This would be a horrible, horrible move.

WTF is another "pitcher" going to do for us? In case Ozzie hasn't noticed, the cupboard on immediate relief talent is EMPTY. Nobody in the farm is close to being even an average MLB reliever.

If this move is indeed made, it leaves the MLB roster without one MLB CF. That is beyond belief. Mackowiak, despite the 8 in the lineup card, is in no way, shape, or horribly run route, a MLB CF.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)
WTF is another "pitcher" going to do for us? In case Ozzie hasn't noticed, the cupboard on immediate relief talent is EMPTY. Nobody in the farm is close to being even an average MLB reliever.

If this move is indeed made, it leaves the MLB roster without one MLB CF. That is beyond belief. Mackowiak, despite the 8 in the lineup card, is in no way, shape, or horribly run route, a MLB CF.

And Mack's so damn streaky. He'll look just as he did in April in due time.

Anderson may be a pretty good defensive OF'er, but at this point in his career he is completely overmatched by big league pitching. Do we have any defensive and offensive options for CF? Mack is not a real good of'er, but is swinging a better bat. The guy was brought over as a super sub and not the starting Cf'er. Why do we need another reliever when lack of work was the complaint before? Let's get that Griffey dude!!

QUOTE(SoxAce @ May 27, 2006 -> 10:07 PM)
Hows Owens/Sweeney lookin in AAA?? I dunno I always believe we have a diamond in the rough somewhere.

Here comes the Griffey/A. Jones rumors...

I'll jump in.

1.) Owens is not a CF so that would mean Pods in CF which is a no no

2.) Owens has been quite bad

3.) Sweeney still has yet to develop any power

4.) Sweeney has been playing CF for only a few games, I'm not exactly ready to throw him in CF now.

5.) Sweeney has a bad hammy and was just recently reactivated from the DL

6.) You don't replace 1 rookie with another rookie, for some reason this seems like a silly thing to do.

I know you weren't really infering anything but I just felt these things needed to be said before someone suggests something.

Anderson may be a pretty good defensive OF'er, but at this point in his career he is completely overmatched by big league pitching.

But not in the field. I was fine with Mack getting some starts when he's hot, but this move NECESSITATES that Mackowiak is now the EVERYDAY CF.

That makes my acid reflux get all bad and s***.