Spelling Bee

SnB

26 members have voted

1. 1. Watch it or not?

• Yes
    • No

I feel these kids' parents are the kind that push them to be perfect to the point that the kids can't even enjoy themselves.

On another note, I lost one spelling bee in my entire time in grade school. I never studied, but the words always stuck in my head after seeing them once or twice.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
I feel these kids' parents are the kind that push them to be perfect to the point that the kids can't even enjoy themselves.

i hear that, one of the kids interests were:

Mozart

Playing Violin

Geography

Yeah, i'm sure that kids a ton of fun to be around.

I really hate spelling bees, even though I've been somewhat successful. Too boring, too many people staring at you and what not. I retired from spelling bees this year after winning our county bee.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)

That's a great point. We always hear about the pushy Little League Dad living his life through his son, but the parents of spelling bee nerds are much more damaging to their kids' lives than the former.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
That's a great point. We always hear about the pushy Little League Dad living his life through his son, but the parents of spelling bee nerds are much more damaging to their kids' lives than the former.

I think the extreme nature of both sides is equal.

The agressive side of the "exteme sports parent" will focus on personal failure, failure towards your parents and extreme disrespect towards others. It often stems from the parent's own failure as an athletic youth.

It's a bullying attitude.

I don't see the "Bee" parents yelling at their children or other children in public, throwing items on stage, or getting into fights with pother parents.

But the extreme "Bee" parents, who have a reckless drive to succeed, do have a negative emotional impact on their children.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 07:42 AM)
Gee, can kids be successful without pushy parents and becomming social nerds? Believe it or not but some kids enjoy intellectual challenges.

Of course they can. Hell, I used to watch Jeopardy! all the time from grade school through high school, and I was damn good at it. But, I bet there is a pretty significant percentage of these spelling bee families that fall into the category of being the obsessive, pushy perfectionists.