Books

LowerCaseRepublican

As you may or may not have seen, I changed my sig to my annual summer reading list. Anyway, I'm just wondering what all you SoxTalkers are reading at the current time or are looking to pick up:

As for me,

A Question of Torture: CIA Interrogations from the Cold War to the War on Terror by Alfred W. McCoy

The Way We Never Were by Stephanie Coontz

Cash by Johnny Cash

Rationale for the Dirty Joke: An Analysis of Sexual Humor by G. Legman

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

All the Hunter Thompson books in chronological order of when they were written.

There's going to be more later in the summer but that's what I'm looking at to get me started.

just got done with the teachings of don juan for the second time (carlos castaneda)

i think ill revisit ishmael or the story of b for the first time in 3 years

after that im not sure, maybe some vonagut.... slaughter house 55? or maybe brave new world.... ferinhiet 451? sofies world?

not sure what im gonna read next... f***, maybe even a .PHP or illustrator book =P

Right now I am reading Jews and Arabs, and I forget the author, but it is all about going back through the historical relationships between Jewish people within Arab communites ever since the emergence of Islam, and looking at some of the myths, legends, and facts that are involved in that.

So far it is very good.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
just got done with the teachings of don juan for the second time (carlos castaneda)

i think ill revisit ishmael or the story of b for the first time in 3 years

after that im not sure, maybe some vonagut.... slaughter house 55? or maybe brave new world.... ferinhiet 451? sofies world?

not sure what im gonna read next... f***, maybe even a .PHP or illustrator book =P

Might I suggest:0439553725.jpg

j/k :D

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
Might I suggest:0439553725.jpg

j/k :D

to be perfectly honest... i could care less about spelling and i blame microsoft as well as google... since i was about 5 years old they have made my ability to spell unnecessary.

you can all still understand what i mean, even if i said fcuk taht siht.... put that in a book... and smkoe it..... i mean, s***.... :bang

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)
I'm reading only two right now:

Psychotic Reactions and Carburator Dung by Lester Bangs

i just ordered that from the library...

just started the stranger by camus

Work and school are really cutting into my time for reading but I just finished the book "Term Limits" by Vince Flynn. That was an outstanding read!

Looking at reading "A Painted House" by Grisham next. Probably wont get to it till I go on vacation later this month though.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
Work and school are really cutting into my time for reading but I just finished the book "Term Limits" by Vince Flynn. That was an outstanding read!

Looking at reading "A Painted House" by Grisham next. Probably wont get to it till I go on vacation later this month though.

Very good book.

As of late I am on a tear of reading many fictions books. I have read the last two books by Stephen Frey, a book called The Two Minute Rule, The Patriots Club by Christopher Reich, The Camel Club by David Baldacci, and am currently reading Number Account by Christopher Reich.

I like fiction that deals with the investment banking world and legal thrillers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 07:10 PM)

just started the stranger by camus

Awesome book, but The Fall is better (and one of my all-time faves)

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 02:53 AM)

i started to read the fall, like 10 pages, but i miscalculated how much time i would've had to read when it was finals week and i had to return it. I went to the library by me, but i guess its the western branch of the aurora public library, and their selection was so small...but i saw this and grabbed it.

on second thought maybe it wasn't the fall...it was...lets see, it was a conversation but you only read one side of it...does that ring a bell

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
i started to read the fall, like 10 pages, but i miscalculated how much time i would've had to read when it was finals week and i had to return it. I went to the library by me, but i guess its the western branch of the aurora public library, and their selection was so small...but i saw this and grabbed it.

on second thought maybe it wasn't the fall...it was...lets see, it was a conversation but you only read one side of it...does that ring a bell

That sounds like the fall, with the lawyer in the bar?

I'm reading The Shorud of the Thwacker by Chris Elliot.

A smart and hysterical book that parodies books like Davinci Code, Devil in White City and The Alienist

After that I got a non-fiction book: The Vatican Exposed

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
to be perfectly honest... i could care less about spelling and i blame microsoft as well as google... since i was about 5 years old they have made my ability to spell unnecessary.

you can all still understand what i mean, even if i said fcuk taht siht.... put that in a book... and smkoe it..... i mean, s***.... :bang

:lol:

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
Very good book.

As of late I am on a tear of reading many fictions books. I have read the last two books by Stephen Frey, a book called The Two Minute Rule, The Patriots Club by Christopher Reich, The Camel Club by David Baldacci, and am currently reading Number Account by Christopher Reich.

I like fiction that deals with the investment banking world and legal thrillers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Took a fast look at Christopher Reich's work on Amazon & liked what I saw. I'll have to check out a couple of his works once I whittle my backlog down a little more.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 10:53 PM)

The Plague is better still. I could never get into The Fall. I also loved Nausea by Sartre.

Currently reading a book called Better Off about two MIT graduates who decided to go amish for a year to see about quality of life with and without technology, finished A Good Year, and A Year In the Merde - two books about Englishmen moving to France, a biography of Che Guevera and finishing up "The Soul of A Chef" which is just a fascinating read about cooking.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 06:10 PM)

It's really good. No doubt about it, Bangs could write. Then when you realize he only did 1st drafts it's that much more impressive. But his writing got me to get the album the book was named after. Good stuff. :D

Recently finished Enchantment and Exploitation by William DeBuys. Highly recommended. Few people realize there is a part of this country that in many ways culturally correlates for the US what the Basque region is to Spain.

Now working on 1491, by Charles C. Mann, and Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. 1491 has a lot of interesting information, but the writing is oddly paced and wanders a lot.

In my pile: This House of Sky by Ivan Doig, and Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged (Yeah I know, I can't believe I haven't read it yet either).

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 03:53 AM)
That sounds like the fall, with the lawyer in the bar?

yessum...i really liked it, moreso for the fact when i thought to myself how hard and ambitious it would be to write like that and maintain interest.

KG, i still have to go pick it up, i'm excited...i'm going on a roadtrip to maryland this weekend and i want to knockout both..

(haha, i remember i first got the book the fall because it has the same name as a band i love.)

I just got back from the library...it turns out that i got a diff. lester bangs reader...the follow up to psychotic reactions...

Also got john coltrane and thelonius monk albums...i love the library.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 03:35 AM)
I have been wanting to read Moneyball forever, and always said to myself that I would this summer. Now I'm working two jobs and don't have a day off until at least July. Reading a book isn't the first thing I want to do in my little time off of work.

its a very quick read...just throw it in your bathroom...