Books

LowerCaseRepublican

Anyone who likes David McCullough, or good History Books, should read Truman.

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
freakonomics, anybody read it?

I didn't particularly enjoy it, but I do recommend it. I find myself in the minority as far as my opinion of that book, so I reckon you might like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Right now I am reading "Flowers for Victoria." I am thinking about getting back to the true crime novels and Great Lakes shipwreck books that I used to read. I had to step away from the true crime novels for a little while as they started to depress the hell out of me.

'Veeck-as in wreck' is one of the most interesting books I've ever read.

For someone that has spent his entire summer in a baseball front office and is looking at it as a very possible future career, this book is awesome.

I'm reading White Coat: Becoming a Doctor at Havard Medical School right now. It's awesome. I would definitely recommend it for anyone considering going to med school and becoming a doctor.

Next up, though, I'm going to read Hope and Other Dangerous Persuits. It's my required summer reading for UT. I thought summer reading was over after high school, but it's alright b/c it should be a good book.

Btw, does anyone have any good suggestions for interesting medical books? Specifically ones dealing with either med school, life as a doctor, or Emergency medicine.

• 4 weeks later...

Loved snowcrash. Kinda weird book, but really captivating.

I'm reading two books right now. "Hitler's Niece" by Ron Hansen. It's a novel about Hitler's niece. It seems pretty historically accurate and so far so good.

I'm also reading "A Hundred and One Days" by Asne Seierstad. It's a book about a journalist's experience in Baghdad just before, during and just after the 2003 war.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
just got done with the teachings of don juan for the second time (carlos castaneda)

i think ill revisit ishmael or the story of b for the first time in 3 years

after that im not sure, maybe some vonagut.... slaughter house 55? or maybe brave new world.... ferinhiet 451? sofies world?

not sure what im gonna read next... f***, maybe even a .PHP or illustrator book =P

Vonnegut - Slaughter-House Five. It's a great read and Kurt is a fantastic writer. I just read his newest book "Man Without a Country" and I reccommend it to anyone of any age. He hits a lot of major topics going on in todays world and is dead on in all of his opinions.

I'm in the middle of Jonathan Safran Foer's Incredibly Loud and Extremely close. It's been a wonderful read so far.

I finished Bukowski's Ham On Rye about a week ago. It's become a favorite of mine, along with most of Bukowski's work.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
'Veeck-as in wreck' is one of the most interesting books I've ever read.

For someone that has spent his entire summer in a baseball front office and is looking at it as a very possible future career, this book is awesome.

Yes, that book is fantastic.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
am currently reading The Post Office by Charles Bukowski...

That's the only Bukowski novel I've yet to read. Let me know what you think of it.

Have you read Ham on Rye?