Pablo Ozuna

NUKE_CLEVELAND

Ozuna should also have had more than 1 start at second base against lefties. Yes, second base. Iguchi is hitting .207 against left handers (I realize Pods is worse). Ozuna essentially ought to be playing every game started by a lefty in one place or another.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't really mind seeing Pablo play a few days in a row but his defense is the only thing that scares me when he's out there. But the way he's hitting right now he might let in a run but he'll score or knock in two runs. I just love watching Pablo play because he goes out there and plays like he's in little league, he just has fun.

I love Pods, but what is that guy doing this year?

What happened to stealing bases? When was the last time he even tried? That was the WHOLE point of having him here. His batting is so-so and his fielding is barely the same.

At least you know with Pablo that he's going 110% the whole time; Pods appears to be phoning it in. I know this is sacreligious, but seriously, it's about time somebody said it. Pods has been unremarkable in 2006.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
I love Pods, but what is that guy doing this year?

What happened to stealing bases? When was the last time he even tried? That was the WHOLE point of having him here. His batting is so-so and his fielding is barely the same.

At least you know with Pablo that he's going 110% the whole time; Pods appears to be phoning it in. I know this is sacreligious, but seriously, it's about time somebody said it. Pods has been unremarkable in 2006.

Well, he is tied for 3rd in the AL for SB, so I would say hes really doing that bad. He is in a slump lately, you have to get on base to steal a base. He will get hot again soon.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)
Well, he is tied for 3rd in the AL for SB, so I would say hes really doing that bad. He is in a slump lately, you have to get on base to steal a base. He will get hot again soon.

i wish pods used all fields instead of just trying to go strictly left field.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 06:32 AM)
I'm waiting for the trade Pods thread.

If we had a viable option to play LF at AAA as part of a platoon, I'd be willing to go for it. We just don't right now, as far as I can see. Unless Owens stopped sucking when I wasn't looking.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 06:19 AM)
This year I cannot recall Pablo screwing up more than 1 or 2 times. Honestly Pablo has been the biggest catalyst for the team. We can say "Sure, he is facing lefties and that helps him...", but look at the lefties he is sent in to hit against. Santana, Sabathia, probably Randy Johnson when they play NY. Pablo hits great lefties very well, and that shouldnt be overlooked. He bunts well, he has been stealing bases, and everywhere Ozzie has put him this year defensively he has been adequate. Aside from the KC game earlier this year, Pablo has held his own in left. He still has a messed up approach to left field, but his instincts are shortstop instincts all the way. LOL, when he made that diving catch yesterday he looked like he was diving onto the infield grass trying to catch a pop-bunt.

I have become a huge Pablo fan this year.

I'm happy to say that I've been a huge Pablo fan since he came to the Sox. Man, I just love to watch him play. It seems like he just knows exactly what he's capable of, and he doesn't try to do too much.

And it does seem like Pablo is getting a little better out in LF. And who knows, maybe he can actually become decent at the position if he gets more starts out there?

One more thing. Wasn't Ozuna a pretty high prospect for the Cardinals before they realized he was older than he said?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 08:50 AM)
I'm happy to say that I've been a huge Pablo fan since he came to the Sox. Man, I just love to watch him play. It seems like he just knows exactly what he's capable of, and he doesn't try to do too much.

And it does seem like Pablo is getting a little better out in LF. And who knows, maybe he can actually become decent at the position if he gets more starts out there?

One more thing. Wasn't Ozuna a pretty high prospect for the Cardinals before they realized he was older than he said?

BA had him at like #8 in the nation, IIRC.

The Sox outfield in general is just one Jermaine Dye slump from being the worst in the majors. It's a scary thought, but it will happen at some point this season.

Ozuna had a great night in the box score, but his 2 hits were just weakly hit balls that luckily fell in. He misplayed a ball in LF and had to make a diving effort on a rather routine play.

I don't think a trade is necessary, but going forward into 2007, I don't feel Pods should be part of this outfield equation. If BA is going to give little to nothing offensively, and Dye is another year older, than we sure as hell better have a masher in LF.

One word: Cabrera.

:)

Get it done KW!

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)
The Sox outfield in general is just one Jermaine Dye slump from being the worst in the majors. It's a scary thought, but it will happen at some point this season.

Ozuna had a great night in the box score, but his 2 hits were just weakly hit balls that luckily fell in. He misplayed a ball in LF and had to make a diving effort on a rather routine play.

I don't think a trade is necessary, but going forward into 2007, I don't feel Pods should be part of this outfield equation. If BA is going to give little to nothing offensively, and Dye is another year older, than we sure as hell better have a masher in LF.

One word: Cabrera.

:)

Get it done KW!

If you get rid of PODS, who is our lead off man moving forward? Mashers do not make a team complete, you need all aspects. PODS gives us the lead off man, and the running ability that you need to make a team pitch more defensively. Look at many of the teams that do not run at all. You are basically not putting as much pressure on the opposition, and are more prone to long offensive slumps.

I'd like a speedy leadoff hitter over one that isn't speedy for sure. However, I'm just against PODS being that man next year. He'll be 32 next year, and I don't think that bodes well for his skillset.

He is essentially reliant on perfect health (and thus speed) for everything he does.

His speed covers up his bad route running and noodle arm, it helps him hit for a high average and covers up his poor plate control, it helps him steal bases, which makes up for his anemic power.

If he a) loses speed, or B) loses speed to injury, he's pretty much useless.

I'm not sure who I'd like to replace him yet, but there is plenty of time to decide that in the offseason. What I have decided is that Pods should not be brought back.

Can we offer him abritration? Or does he have a "club option"? His contract is a mystery to me, but I believe his last guaranteed year is 2006. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Let's have some Pods perspective here. The idea with Pods is to get on base, and then either steal or threaten to steal, right?

OBP this year: .343

OBP last year: .351

SB this year: 21/28 (75%)

SB last year: 59/82 (72%)

So... the guy has almost the say OBP, WHILE he is in a slump, as last year. And his SB's are at a higher success rate than last year.

What exactly is the problem again?

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
Let's have some Pods perspective here.

So... the guy has almost the say OBP, WHILE he is in a slump, as last year. And his SB's are at a higher success rate than last year.

He is not god.

Let's have some Pods perspective here. The idea with Pods is to get on base, and then either steal or threaten to steal, right?

That he's hitting .136 this month?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
That he's hitting .136 this month?

Thank you. My point exactly. With a month of .136, the guy is still putting up numbers this year that are as good, of not better, than last.

I'd like to see a lot of Pablo too, he's a great presence out there. Heck, maybe with some intense practice and teaching, he could even become a passable defender in the OF in a few years and become a starter somewhere. But for now, Pods is the leadoff guy, and replacing him because he is in a slump for a few weeks is absurd. Get back to me in August if he is still hitting .136 over those months.

His only positive so far on the year is that he's walking more but the fact that he's stealing 75% of the time (average SB% for someone of his skill set) is not really a huge positive, it's more of an indictment as to how bad he was at stealing bases last year, the same goes for his OBP which as Cap'n pointed out is ranked 9th out of 14 leadoff men in the AL, in other words it's mediocre.

He hit .233 in April, .318 in May and now .136 in June that's a horrible trend and it's left him with a .247 batting average which is just pathetic for a leadoff man.

The fact that his defense appears to have gotten worse is not helping matters either, the guy gets some of the most pathetic jumps on balls then takes bad routes to get there and misplays the ball once it gets to him. His horrid arm is just making him look even worse, he's possibly the worst defensive OF in baseball right now and when combining htat with his mediocre offensive numbers I'm not really sure why anyone is wondering why he's catching s*** for his play.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
He is not good.

Hey, fixed that for ya.