Guillen doubts he'll attend sensitivity training

Linnwood

The issue was between Ozzie and Jay M. Not Ozzie and the Gay community. I agree with Ozzie that sensitivity training isn't the answer and in my opinion this is getting to be an issue of how can we (meaning MLB) be politically correct.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
The issue was between Ozzie and Jay M. Not Ozzie and the Gay community. I agree with Ozzie that sensitivity training isn't the answer and in my opinion this is getting to be an issue of how can we (meaning MLB) be politically correct.

Unfortunately, Ozzie's use of the word *** did offend gay groups. Whether or not he actually intends to attend sensitivity training he is out of line to say he won't attend. No matter what anyone thinks of Selig, he is the commissioner. Making him look worthless by ignoring the punishment he hands down does nobody any good, and could easily lead to stronger sanctions against Ozzie,ie. a long suspension. Ozzie being Ozzie doesn't fly. You either accept your punishment or if you don't want to play by the rules, go find something else to do with your life. The team has won 8 in a row, but Ozzie's still the story. Its ridiculous.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
Unfortunately, Ozzie's use of the word *** did offend gay groups. Whether or not he actually intends to attend sensitivity training he is out of line to say he won't attend. No matter what anyone thinks of Selig, he is the commissioner. Making him look worthless by ignoring the punishment he hands down does nobody any good, and could easily lead to stronger sanctions against Ozzie,ie. a long suspension. Ozzie being Ozzie doesn't fly. You either accept your punishment or if you don't want to play by the rules, go find something else to do with your life. The team has won 8 in a row, but Ozzie's still the story. Its ridiculous.

I get your point and apparently so did Ozzie as I now hear he will attend the classes.

I love Ozzie and all, but when the comissh hands something down he should shut up. The last thing I want is the MLB offices to have some sort of vendetta against the Sox where any minor thing that looks bad on us results in some sort of suspension, fine or some sort of punishment.

I don't really think Ozzie did anything horribly wrong since he may not have been using the word that way and I'll admit (even though I shouldn't) I use the term all the time myself around my buddies. I'm sure a heck of a lot of other people do too (not making it right). But enough is enough with this situation, just don't speak about it so it can blow over.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)

He also said in this interview "I don't need this job." By the way.

In a league that has teams named the Braves and Indians (see the NCAA), this is a little hypocritical.

Great great point. Somebody on TV or in the Trib should call MLB on this. This is an excellent point!!!

What hypocrites. How is it different? Baseball has the Indians and Braves. Baseball needs sensitivity

training!!!!

For all those that don't think Ozzie's mouth could possibly cost him a job from ESPN

Updated: June 24, 2006, 9:10 PM ET

White Sox brass not amused by Guillen's anticsESPN.com news services

This has not been a good week for Ozzie Guillen.

In the past three days, the White Sox manager has been fined, suspended and, most recently, made headlines for his apparent refusal to attend sensitivity training, as ordered to by commissioner Bud Selig for his use of a derogatory term aimed at a newspaper columnist.

If Guillen doesn't start exercising more restraint, general manager Ken Williams intimated that Guillen's antics could also cost Guillen his job.

"The simple fact is we have seen this movie before," Williams told ESPN in his first public remarks on the situation. "If it continues on, the likelihood [increases] that … maybe one day I'll have to walk into the office and deliver some bad news and announce a new manager. That's just the reality of the situation."