Tiger Watch - Official Thread

hi8is

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This city-bashing material is very tired.

Chicago was, and still is to a certain extent, home to a very large, mostly lower-to-middle class immigrant population. Numerous urban development models have shown that this set of circumstances is what creates a very dense, vibrant central city area. A large population of people with no access to private transportation created an environment where all neccessities for living were located within a small area.

Detroit, on the other hand, is the birthplace of the American automobile industry. The Big 3 automakers have wielded tremendous power over the development of Detroit, and paid very honest wages to their employees even during the era when factory workers were underpaid and overworked. These employees were able to purchase a car of their own, and as a result move to an area that they saw as more serene, further away from the central city which, even in the most prestigious downtowns like Chicago, Manhattan, and Boston, was viewed as a center of filth and poverty. The Detroit metropolitan area boasts some of the most prestigious suburbs in the entire United States. As JackTalkThai indicated, Oakland County contains both the 2nd and 4th richest (per capita) zip codes in the country. Unfortunately, as money left the central city, downtown has suffered.

Recent efforts to restore the Detroit's CBD to its former glory have produced some nice projects, but make no mistake about it, there is a ton of work still left to do. It may not be pretty, but its certainly not dangerous. Take a trip out to Royal Oak or Birmingham next time you're in town for a game and you'll find entertainment districts on the level you may be accostomed to.

As Chicagoans you are blessed with probably the most American of all downtowns, somewhat ironic considering that it was mainly the result of the socio-economic status of 1st generation immigrants. You are also cursed with wicked congestion on your freeway system, and all of the other effects that come along with density.

Point is, I guess there is no point. Just thought I'd try and explain to some of you who may be interested why cities look like they do.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
Ok, I've got the Tigers penciled in for about 137-25 at this point

lol I heard they're so good MLB is going to trade some wins with some losses. They'll end up being about 142-20 when it's all said and done.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
Ok, I've got the Tigers penciled in for about 137-25 at this point

The problem with the argument I keep hearing 'wait till they play better teams' is that they are better than most of those teams. Other than our team, no one matches up to them. They only have 6 left against NY and Boston so that's not going to make a big difference in their standings regardless of how they play in those games. For us to overtake them and be up on them till the end, Minnesota and Cleveland need to get their s*** together and beat them occasionally.

And what's with all this talk about the history of Chicago and Detroit city? If I wanted to learn about that s*** I'd go to wikipedia or something.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
Chicago is Chicago......

OK I'll play along...Speck was from the South Side.

Anyway, the only reason I evven went there is fools dogging Detroit, not the Tigers, but the City. Why? Cause they cant dog the Tigers...

Back to baseball.

That's a backpedeling attempt. You specifically "dogged" Chicago's South Side when you stated:

“Just like the South Side. All cities have their despair.”

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1463747/posts

There are more than 12,000 abandoned homes in the Detroit area, a byproduct of decades of layoffs at the city's auto plants and white flight to the suburbs. And despite scores of attempts by government and civic leaders to set the city straight, the automobile capitol of the world seems trapped in a vicious cycle of urban decay.

The schools are bad. The roads are full of potholes. Crime is high and so are taxes. The city is in a budget crisis so deep it could end up being run by the state.

"Urban decay." :lol:

I think it's absolutely hilarious that the over the last 10 games, the Twins, Sox and Tigers have gone a combined 27-3. That's some serious baseball right there via the Central Division. If anyone is getting pissed about not picking up or making any ground, it has got to be the Twinkies as they're the team that NEEDS to pick up ground.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
This city bashing is immature and pointless.

Comparing Detroit to Chicago's South Side is an inaccurate statement that needs to be corrected.

Friendly admin reminder to all members of this thread, enough with the city bashing. Lets move on and discuss the teams. This is a Tigers thread so its cool to have Tiger fans here, but I need to reiterate, those Tiger fans better stay respectful.

We encourage friendly and healthy debate amongst posters of other teams (such as the Tigers) but that doesn't mean a Tiger fan will get the benefit of the doubt like a Sox fan will (simply because this is a Sox site first and foremost).

Anyway I think the Tigers are a damn good ball club and I have no doubt if the opportunity to make a move presents itself that they will try to do so. There is no guarantee said move puts them over the top, but Ilitch is willing to pony up the dough.

Than again, Kenny was willing to pony up some stuff last year but coudln't get anything done just because a lot of teams were still around. Who knows if that will be the case this year or not.

I do think the one thing going for the Sox is that there pitchers don't have as much of a history of fading in the 2nd half of the season, but the TIgers pitchers (most of them are young) so its really hard to look at any potential trends they have shown since they are still developing.

Of course I do think there is a good chance someone like Verlander would tire just due to the total innings he'll be throwing compared to his previous inning totals.

But that doesn't mean anything if the Sox can't get there 4th and 5th guys back on a roll (Vazy/Garland/Garcia).

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:58 PM)
This city bashing is immature and pointless.

Thanks....I feel sorry for individuals in our country that take pleasure in the decline of the American Auto Industry and a city that is less than 250 miles from thier own...a once great city that is working hard to rebuild. It's sad.

With that said, Detroit has problems, but it is much better than before and Metro Detroit is outstanding as is Western and Northern Michiigan. Chicagoland citizens understand this for they have many a cottage in these areas. Remember Tiger fans are from the ENTIRE State.

I went with the serial killer angle to show that NO city, or general area is perfect..and for that I apologize.I love Chicago to death and spend thousands of dollars a year in Chicagoland.

I invite all of you to visit Comerica in July and then tell us what you think.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)
Comparing Detroit to Chicago's South Side is an inaccurate statement that needs to be corrected.

THIS POST WAS COMPLETELY EDITED BY CHISOXFN

I'm going to edit this post and be nice, but I want the city bashing (on both ends) to come to an end. This is the one thread where if you enter and plan on talking about the Tigers, plan on seeing a few posts from Tiger fans. But like I said, in general we will go out and defend any Sox fans should it come to that (but for the most part all of the visiting fans have been very respectful).

This isn't Palehosetalk, this is the Diamond Club and baseball talk is great and as a whole its awesome having some very respectful Tigers and Twins posters on here to discuss more about the best division in baseball.

QUOTE(zoomzoomK @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)

I'm going to edit this post and be nice, but I want the city bashing (on both ends) to come to an end. This is the one thread where if you enter and plan on talking about the Tigers, plan on seeing a few posts from Tiger fans. But like I said, in general we will go out and defend any Sox fans should it come to that (but for the most part all of the visiting fans have been very respectful).

This isn't Palehosetalk, this is the Diamond Club and baseball talk is great and as a whole its awesome having some very respectful Tigers and Twins posters on here to discuss more about the best division in baseball.

So why did you edit my post when all it had was tomorrow's Tigers/Astros pitching matchup?

Edited by Chisoxfn

So why did you edit my post when all it had was tomorrow's Tigers/Astros pitching matchup?

If I edited the wrong post, my mistake, that would have been on accident. I was editing the stuff on the Tigers. In fact, what happened was you must have reposted at the same time I was making my edit so I erased over the post you had with the pitching matchups.

Go for it and repost the matchups :). I just wanted to make sure the city stuff came to an end and we got back to discussing the Sox and Tigers

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
If I edited the wrong post, my mistake, that would have been on accident. I was editing the stuff on the Tigers. In fact, what happened was you must have reposted at the same time I was making my edit so I erased over the post you had with the pitching matchups.

Go for it and repost the matchups :). I just wanted to make sure the city stuff came to an end and we got back to discussing the Sox and Tigers

You did not edit the wrong post. zoomzoomK had a couple sentences directed at me questioning my knowledge of Detroit before adding a paragraph about Tuesday's matchups.

7:05 pm

Houston

Detroit

HOU: Clemens (0-1, 3.60)

DET: Robertson (7-3, 3.38)

This could be an opportunity for the Sox to pick up a full game, although Nate has been dealing lately. Should be electric at Comerica tomorrow night regardless tomorrow night.

I'm assuming the Sox will have no problems with the Pirates, although I suppose it could be a royal-like letdown type of series.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
You did not edit the wrong post. zoomzoomK had a couple sentences directed at me questioning my knowledge of Detroit before adding a paragraph about Tuesday's matchups.

Nope separate post, although that one is gone too. I'll leave it alone if you can do the same.

Its not worth my time and effort to have to deal with life-experts like you shoota. My experiment of trying to have civil interaction with sox fans has now come to an end. I've appreciated my two days bantering with most of you and wish the Sox the best of luck the rest of the way, hopefully not at the expense of my Tigers. Unfortunately when life deals you shootas, you can't make shoota-ade.

You can......take me off this board.... YES!

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
Metro Detroit...not Detroit. Would you compare Naperville to the South Side? No!

I'm sick of fools resorting to the image of Detroit whenever they are behind in the standings. It's weak and an old bit. Back to baseball....the Tiger win again.

How about you relax there Mr. Tiger.

Everyone has been warned already and if this extracurricular activity continues, there will be consequences, for both sides. Stop calling everyone a fool and stop the "old bit" stuff. The Tigers have never been ahead in the standings for people to rip on them and the city anyway. How is it an old bit if it has only been going on for 1/2 a season?

We encourage fans of other teams to post here but if you continue on starting arguments and making comments that you KNOW will spark tension, then you won't be posting here long. That goes for everyone. Keep it civil and keep it baseball.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(zoomzoomK @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:51 PM)
Its not worth my time and effort to have to deal with life-experts like you shoota. My experiment of trying to have civil interaction with sox fans has now come to an end. I've appreciated my two days bantering with most of you and wish the Sox the best of luck the rest of the way, hopefully not at the expense of my Tigers. Unfortunately when life deals you shootas, you can't make shoota-ade.

Dude, come back... we don't even like shoota!

QUOTE(zoomzoomK @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 03:51 AM)

Dude, shoota is like 12 years old. Just put him on ignore.

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)
Thanks....I feel sorry for individuals in our country that take pleasure in the decline of the American Auto Industry and a city that is less than 250 miles from thier own...a once great city that is working hard to rebuild. It's sad.

With that said, Detroit has problems, but it is much better than before and Metro Detroit is outstanding as is Western and Northern Michiigan. Chicagoland citizens understand this for they have many a cottage in these areas. Remember Tiger fans are from the ENTIRE State.

I went with the serial killer angle to show that NO city, or general area is perfect..and for that I apologize.I love Chicago to death and spend thousands of dollars a year in Chicagoland.

I invite all of you to visit Comerica in July and then tell us what you think.

Hey, don't be bringing Grand Rapids into this! J/K, lots of people are excited in town here as they should be :usa

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 07:51 PM)
Tigers color guy sounds like porky pig and his analyzing skills are like Chris Singleton x2

"Pahdna", that's Rod Allen.

Not even Todd Freaking Jones can screw up a four run cushion..............I think.

Edited by JackTalkThai