Tiger Watch - Official Thread

hi8is

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 08:52 PM)
Rod Allen is fine, I'd much rather have him than Hawk and DJ. Heh.

you are not going to win that fight over here buddy.

Allen soudns like baba booey from the howard stern show. I laugh at his ignorance every night.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
you are not going to win that fight over here buddy.

Allen soudns like baba booey from the howard stern show. I laugh at his ignorance every night.

I actually enjoy listening to him. Not always great with his words, but he makes me laugh and in general seems to like what he's doing. Plus he's not boring.

Caught the last two innings and that young kid hit a bomb for his 1st career hr. RObertson pitched very well in a game that could have been much closer if the Astros didn't play s*** defense behind the Rocket.

Tiggies keep on winning and have a shot at sweeping the homestand with a win tomorrow against the Stros.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 09:01 PM)
I actually enjoy listening to him. Not always great with his words, but he makes me laugh and in general seems to like what he's doing. Plus he's not boring.

Caught the last two innings and that young kid hit a bomb for his 1st career hr. RObertson pitched very well in a game that could have been much closer if the Astros didn't play s*** defense behind the Rocket.

Tiggies keep on winning and have a shot at sweeping the homestand with a win tomorrow against the Stros.

All i know is i want the sox and tigs to run away from the f***ers on the east coast....

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)

I agree with that. We benefited from two huge errors in the 7th. I couldn't believe that that Astro player threw to 2nd to try and get Monroe. He had no chance at all, he should have ate the ball, no question. But because he didn't, it led to 2 runs we otherwise may not have had.

Also though, our pen came up huge. Zumaya did an amazing job getting out of the 1st and 2nd, no outs jam in the 8th. That was critcial IMO.

Edited by tigerfan

tigers get a ton of timely hits and great pitching. If they continue to do that then it will be neck and neck all the way. Personally, I think they'll fade ever so slowly and be in a dog fight with minny for second place and the wild card. I think the pitching will come back to earth and that will be the difference.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)
All i know is i want the sox and tigs to run away from the f***ers on the east coast....

Meh, it doesn't matter who wins the Wild Card since no team will beat the World Champs in postseason play.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
tigers get a ton of timely hits and great pitching. If they continue to do that then it will be neck and neck all the way. Personally, I think they'll fade ever so slowly and be in a dog fight with minny for second place and the wild card. I think the pitching will come back to earth and that will be the difference.

I think you are wrong based on what I have witnessed so far.

If you speculate that the Tigers will fade, I can easily speculate that the Sox will fade. They are mirror images, and in fact the Tigers are slightly better through 77 games. With that said, I do not think the Sox will fade.

There is nothing to suggest that the Tigers will lose 11 games in the standings to the Twins. The Tigers ERA is a nearly half a run better than any other team in the AL. They are 5th in offense and they are the most effienct defensive team in baseball (.730), slightly ahead of the White Sox (.717). Whats the old saying? Pitching and defense.

Detroit has so much pitching its sick. The Tigers have 5 guys not currently starting that would be decent starters for many teams in MLB (Sanchez, Ledezma, Maroth, Colon, Tata). Our starters are flat out sick. They havent lost in 19 starts. You assume they will tire, I assume they wont. If they do, we have a freaking sick pen...as good as there is in the league.

Do I think they are better than the Sox? No. Do I think they CAN win the division? Yes. Do I think they will blow a 11 game lead on the Twins? Highly unlikely. I base that observation on the stats through 78 games and what I have pesonally seeen WATCHING 78 Games. This team has IT.

Edited by Hurons

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
If you speculate that the tigers will fade, I can easily speculate that the Sox will fade. They are mirror images, and in fact the Tigers are slightly better through 77 games. With that said, I do not think the Sox will fade.

I don't think the Tigers will fade at all, as a matter of fact, the numbers prove that it'd be nearly impossible to do so.

But this whole thing is about track record, the Sox kicked ass last season and won the World Series where as the Tigers have sucked for quite some time now. It really doesn't make sense to compare the two at this point, simply based on this.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
I don't think the Tigers will fade at all, as a matter of fact, the numbers prove that it'd be nearly impossible to do so.

But this whole thing is about track record, the Sox kicked ass last season and won the World Series where as the Tigers have sucked for quite some time now. It really doesn't make sense to compare the two at this point, simply based on this.

Who cares about last year.. it means nothing. What you are saying about the Tigers this year, the Twins, Red Sox and Yankee fans were saying the same thing about the 2005 Sox. This is 2006.

We are comparing 2006, not anything from the past. The past is ash..My W2 was huge last year..will it be huge this year? I dont know.What I do know isI need to sell my ass of to get to where I was last year. Your only as good as your last month.

Right here-Right now.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)

I don't think the Tigers are going to fade but I don't see them winning the division, they're going to hang around for a while though. It's just hard for me to believe that their pitching can be this good all season long and in that respect the numbers do prove that to be possible. Rogers and Bonderman have track records the last few years of fading in the 2nd half and Verlander has never pitched over 130 innings in pro ball before. Make no mistake, this is a very good Tigers club but they have some pitchers notorious for 2nd half problems and because of that I just don't see them winning the central.

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
I think you are wrong based on what I have witnessed so far.

If you speculate that the tigers will fade, I can easily speculate that the Sox will fade. They are mirror images, and in fact the Tigers are slightly better through 77 games. With that said, I do not think the Sox will fade.

There is nothing to suggest that the Tigers will lose 11 games in the standings to the Twins. The Tigers ERA is a nearly half a run better than any other team in the AL. They are 5th in offense and they are the most effienct defensive team in baseball (.730), slightly ahead of the White Sox (.717). Whats the old saying? Pitching and defense.

Detroit has so much pitching its sick. The Tigers have 5guys not currently starting that would be decent starters for many teams in MLB (Sanchez, Ledezma, Maroth, Colon, Tata). Our starters are flat out sick. They havent lost in 19 starts. You assume they will tire, I assume they wont. If they do, we have a freaking sick pen...as good as there is in the league.

Do I think they are better than the Sox? No. Do I think they CAN win the division? Yes. Do I think they will blow a 11 game lead on the Twins? Highly unlikely. I base that observation on the stats through 78 games and what I have pesonally seeen WATCHING 78 Games. This team has IT.

I can give you two very good reasons the Tigers will fade, based on what we've seen (or maybe more importantly haven't seen) from two of the Tigers' best pitchers:

- Kenny Rogers typically is a better first half pitcher, and in the past 5 years prior to this one, he has not had an ERA lower than 4 in the second half.

-Justin Verlander has never pitched 130+ innings in one year in his professional or collegiate career, and he's on pace to pitch somewhere between 200-220 innings.

If you'd like more reasons, let me know. I'm sure I could come up with some. The Tigers playing 10 games against their main division rival (whom they're currently 1-5 against) at a time when their pitching won't be at its best (i.e. July and August) certainly won't help though.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 09:47 PM)
I predict the Tigers will fall apart faster than one of its Big 3-built automobiles.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
I can give you two very good reasons the Tigers will fade, based on what we've seen (or maybe more importantly haven't seen) from two of the Tigers' best pitchers:

- Kenny Rogers typically is a better first half pitcher, and in the past 5 years prior to this one, he has not had an ERA lower than 4 in the second half.

-Justin Verlander has never pitched 130+ innings in one year in his professional or collegiate career, and he's on pace to pitch somewhere between 200-220 innings.

If you'd like more reasons, let me know. I'm sure I could come up with some. The Tigers playing 10 games against their main division rival (whom they're currently 1-5 against) at a time when their pitching won't be at its best (i.e. July and August) certainly won't help though.

So your saying that is enough of a reason to lose a 11 game lead on the Twins? My post was in direct response to that. I never said the Tigers were better than the Sox. In fact I think I said the Sox were a better club. With that said, the Sox kicked the Tigers butts in Detroit....the games were very close in Chicago. If you think the Sox are going to manhadle the the Tigers based on the early season results, you may be mistaken.

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
Who cares about last year.. it means nothing. What you are saying about the Tigers this year, the Twins, Red Sox and Yankee fans were saying the same thing about the 2005 Sox. This is 2006.

We are comparing 2006, not anything from the past. The past is ash..My W2 was huge last year..will it be huge this year? I dont know.What I do know isI need to sell my ass of to get to where I was last year. Your only as good as your last month.

Right here-Right now.

You can't just take into account 2006, everything before that does play in. The Tigers and Sox had a lot of the same players the last few years as they have this year and last. Track record is incredibly important. But I guess since your team has sucked for so long you'd rather not think about it but you have to. I don't mean this as an insult or anything but it's true.

Just keep telling yourself that the "past is ash", like that means something.

I hate to look as the past as you can see from my posts, but you guys continue to bring up the past in regards to Tigers pitching.

So here is my question, What was the SOX second half record last year? Did they fade at all? Were they ever in danger of blowing their huge first half lead? And if so, what did it ultimately cost them?

You get the point and you know the answer.

For anyone who thinks we will fade or fail to win the division this year, consider this statistic. Through 78 games we are 53-25. That means that in order to reach 100 wins this year we only need to go 47-37 the rest of the way. If you don't think we can do that, or do better then that then you're kidding yourself.

That's not to say the Sox can't win 100 games or more themselves, and if they can more power to them. But if we can get at least 100 wins (which I believe we will do if not better), then we'll have set ourselves up to have a fairly good chance at winning the division.

Edited by tigerfan

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
If you think the Sox are going to manhadle the the Tigers based on the early season results, you may be mistaken.

You may be mistaken yourself, that's why baseball is such a great game. IMO, we probably will beat us more than you will beat us, but at the same time, that doesn't mean we would win the division if you guys keep doing your part (beating up on the bad teams, which we haven't done too good this season) and if your pitching, bullpen, hitting, etc.. all hold up in a cohesent unit like it has pre-break, and if it can carry on post-break.