Tiger Watch - Official Thread

hi8is

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
Again, I am not thinking about the SOX, or the Divison. I made this point in regards to the joker that said the Tigers will fade and battle the Twins for the Card.

I've been called much worse, but I assure you my fine young tiger fan that there is no humor in that statement. The Sox had a bigger lead than that on the Indians and I watched it evaporate faster than a fart in a wind tunnel.

Word to the wise? Don't be fooled by big leads in June. Like I was last year when the Sox were on pace to win more than 100 games and the indians were a blip in the rearview mirror somewhere behind the twinkies.

Or, go ahead and be fooled by big leads in June. Why not, your team's still in the hunt in June. Like the Orioles were last year. :P

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 12:02 AM)
Do you think the Tigers can go 47-37 the rest of the way?

maybe. the unbalanced schedule will take its toll at some point and I don't think they'll continue to own the twins and the tribe. Even KC is due to win a few games against them. I just think it's way too early to talk about 100 wins, just like it was too early last June for Sox fans to be talking about breaking Seattle's record.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:58 PM)
If you think the Sox are going to manhadle the the Tigers based on the early season results, you may be mistaken.

Every point you made was based on early season results.

QUOTE(tigerfan @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)
That is true, but our bullpen is incredible. You got Zumaya who can just blow stuff by you, Rodney who is equally impressive, and Jonesy who though he does struggle more often then not gets the job done in the end.

Todd Jones? Are you kidding me? Yeah, 6.39 ERA that is just incredible.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 07:15 AM)
Question - Who else thinks from here on out to the end of the season, Minnesota will have a better record than Detroit?

Not I. DET will fade a bit, because their pitching is not this good. But Minny will fade worse - they lack the talent this year.

Question - Who else thinks from here on out to the end of the season, Minnesota will have a better record than Detroit?

I definitely think Minny will have a better record than Detroit from this point forward. On another post, I have them playing between .600 and .667 ball and ending up with 94-95 wins. I think they'll be better than the runner-up team in the AL East and the winner of the AL West.

So the AL Central will have 3 of the 4 best teams in baseball. (The Mets may win more games, but the NL is a total joke.)

I'm just glad that Minny may have taken too long to get it together. I would not want to face Santana/Liriano in a 5 or 7 game series.

As for Detroit, I think they will almost certainly hold on well enough to make the postseason -- with 98-100 wins -- but as the wild card, I don't think they will get past a likely first round matchup against Boston.

Yep, another Detroit fan, but hopefully this message will be applicable for most people here.

Firstly, I would like to say that I have also enjoyed the Tigers' start. BUT... posting on an opposing team's BB to brag about it is not my main plan. I don't know how many other Detroit fans may agree or disagree with me, but for all the Tigers fans that come here I do have a question.

When your team is playing another team who happens to be 19-6 against your team through the start of 2005 and who has won a World Series just last year, and your team happens to be holding a razor-thin 2-game margin over them, how many of that team's fans do you expect to say that your team will be playing for a World Series? The Sox have been good for many prior years and awesome for the past two. I came here and signed up because it is nice to see what your rival says about your team. However, Tigers fans, please know that you cannot demand pragmatic arguments. This isn't a media outlet, this isn't even a newspaper which has to hold to any sort of journalistic standard. This is a webboard made up of rabid fans of your *current rival*, the team that has the same goal as the Tigers do which in some regards is mutually exclusive; only one team can really win the Central, and only one team can win the World Series.

A team which is 53-25 is clearly a good team so far but ultimately has not even played half its games. As a fan of a Tigers team with win totals of 43, 72, and 71 through the past three years getting to 90 is terrific and the playoffs is just gravy. Why go out of your way to pick fights with other fans and then feel antagonistic and crummy about them when something special is finally happening to your baseball team? If you need to talk junk to your competitor to get yourself into the game more, so be it, but don't be surprised if some people don't exactly like it. Ultimately this is just my opinion, but I know I feel better by just taking in the debate and continuing to enjoy the Tigers breaking every *reasonable* projection that was made about them through the past offseason.

White Sox fans, thank you at least for the candidness that you provide, and for your hospitality here. I love to hear honest opinions and as many as possible, and while some things on the White Sox (notably their manager) have rubbed me the wrong way personally, I must admit that I have been enjoying everything that this season has brought to begin with and hope that it will continue... and also have found a healthy respect for a club who has been 149-89 since 2005. There's a lot to emulate, even if I don't believe the manager is one of those things (so sorry...).

With that said, I hope you White Sox fans don't mind a question as well and I also hope you don't think me too forward... as fans of the White Sox, and taking in account what has happened this year... was last year more fun where you had little doubt all year and little to play for until the end more enjoyable, or has this strange little streak for both teams been enjoyable to watch and follow? I certainly know my response, especially since the Tigers have never really been in the first situation since I started watching them in the early-90s, but I am curious to learn your reactions.

Thanks for putting up with some of the more vocal of us, and I hope that I can come here for a long time even when the Tigers return to being bad. (Though I'm crossing my fingers that this won't happen for a while.)

I really don't think that's going to happen. I'll take the team with the 11-game lead and the much stronger lineup. Before someone gushes about the Twins' rotation, it's been pretty bad outside of Santana and Lirano. Boof Bonser has been the next best starter with a 4.68 ERA. Radke and Silva will probably be a little better, but they're not exactly aces. They look a lot more dangerous than they did a couple of weeks ago, but I don't see them as a threat to either team barring a major collapse.

The Sox will still take this division when all is said and done. They're playing almost .660 ball even though three of their starters have been bad most of the year. The Tigers are only two games better even though all of their starters have pitched out of their minds. Mark my words, all of these guys will not finish with ERA's under 4 at the end of the year, and my guess is that at least two of them are over. The only one I can see improving on his performance thus far is Bonderman. That doesn't mean that they'er going to fall apart and only win 88 games, but it does mean that they'll fall well short of their current pace.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)
I definitely think Minny will have a better record than Detroit from this point forward. On another post, I have them playing between .600 and .667 ball and ending up with 94-95 wins.

How can you say this?

QUOTE(Zoogz @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)
Yep, another Detroit fan, but hopefully this message will be applicable for most people here.

Firstly, I would like to say that I have also enjoyed the Tigers' start. BUT... posting on an opposing team's BB to brag about it is not my main plan. I don't know how many other Detroit fans may agree or disagree with me, but for all the Tigers fans that come here I do have a question.

When your team is playing another team who happens to be 19-6 against your team through the start of 2005 and who has won a World Series just last year, and your team happens to be holding a razor-thin 2-game margin over them, how many of that team's fans do you expect to say that your team will be playing for a World Series? The Sox have been good for many prior years and awesome for the past two. I came here and signed up because it is nice to see what your rival says about your team. However, Tigers fans, please know that you cannot demand pragmatic arguments. This isn't a media outlet, this isn't even a newspaper which has to hold to any sort of journalistic standard. This is a webboard made up of rabid fans of your *current rival*, the team that has the same goal as the Tigers do which in some regards is mutually exclusive; only one team can really win the Central, and only one team can win the World Series.

A team which is 53-25 is clearly a good team so far but ultimately has not even played half its games. As a fan of a Tigers team with win totals of 43, 72, and 71 through the past three years getting to 90 is terrific and the playoffs is just gravy. Why go out of your way to pick fights with other fans and then feel antagonistic and crummy about them when something special is finally happening to your baseball team? If you need to talk junk to your competitor to get yourself into the game more, so be it, but don't be surprised if some people don't exactly like it. Ultimately this is just my opinion, but I know I feel better by just taking in the debate and continuing to enjoy the Tigers breaking every *reasonable* projection that was made about them through the past offseason.

White Sox fans, thank you at least for the candidness that you provide, and for your hospitality here. I love to hear honest opinions and as many as possible, and while some things on the White Sox (notably their manager) have rubbed me the wrong way personally, I must admit that I have been enjoying everything that this season has brought to begin with and hope that it will continue... and also have found a healthy respect for a club who has been 149-89 since 2005. There's a lot to emulate, even if I don't believe the manager is one of those things (so sorry...).

With that said, I hope you White Sox fans don't mind a question as well and I also hope you don't think me too forward... as fans of the White Sox, and taking in account what has happened this year... was last year more fun where you had little doubt all year and little to play for until the end more enjoyable, or has this strange little streak for both teams been enjoyable to watch and follow? I certainly know my response, especially since the Tigers have never really been in the first situation since I started watching them in the early-90s, but I am curious to learn your reactions.

Thanks for putting up with some of the more vocal of us, and I hope that I can come here for a long time even when the Tigers return to being bad. (Though I'm crossing my fingers that this won't happen for a while.)

Welcome to Soxtalk!!! Nice post.

I dont think the Tigers are going to fade that much. My only questions is how the arms will hold up over the full season. Zumaya will probably be promoted to the closer role at some point soon. How will he react to that. Verlander hasnt pitched too many innings in his previous years, and now will be asked to pitch a lot more this year. Rodgers for years hasnt been a second half pitcher. If you get past those issues, and stay healthy I dont see how you cant be there at the end.

The twins have great pitching, however their offense is still shoddy at best. They are hot now, but I dont see them winning the necessary amount of games to win either the WC or the division.

What is disheartening, is that as HOT as the SOX have been, theyve gained NO GROUND.

While we were losing 2 of 3 to the Devil Rays, the Tigers are busy SWEEPING them. While were only able to win 2 of 3 from the Astros, the Tiggers are probably going to SWEEP them. These games slowly but surely add up. Our winning record against the Tigers is only whats keeping us close.

Joel Zumaya won't be closing anytime soon.

As good as he is, the fact remains that as long as Todd Jones remains on the ball club (and Leyland continues to trot him out there on a regular basis) there is no easier role to put him in than closer. As strange as that sounds, the regular season closer is one of the most overrated positions in all of baseball.

Just look at Jones' save totals and save % compared to his ERA for proof.

Leyland would much rather have Jones as the closer as opposed to bringing him in the game when the Tigers are clinging to a one run lead in the 7th with men on first and third and just one out. Basically Zumaya's and Rodney's current role...which is a much more pressure filled job to have than is getting three outs with the bases empty.

Now when you get into a stretch run of a pennant chase and the playoffs...the closer's job becomes just a weeee bit more important.

Edited by JackTalkThai

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 05:25 AM)
Todd Jones? Are you kidding me? Yeah, 6.39 ERA that is just incredible.

I'm not saying he doesn't struggle, but he still more often then not will get the save. That's all that matters in the end.

Good pitching duel so far today, Tigers lead 1-0 due to an Astros error, but both Verlander and Pettite have been strong.

Magglio left the game, but it was just a bruised shin after a foul ball.

Edit: nice post by the other guy, I don't really come here to pick fights, merely to correct ridiculous lies and talk baseball :)

This is a very nice board with some knowledgable posters, no offense to people who post at both boards but this place is heaven compared to Whitesoxinteractive, which seems to be full of trolls who insist that Granderson isn't good because he can't get steals, and Verlanders arm will fall off any day etc etc etc.

Hopefully I don't come across as too bad of a troll or something, because as I've said many times I definitely feel the White Sox are a great team and they certainly have to be the favorites to win the division even though we're ahead of them currently.

Edited by loltrain

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
Two more UNearned runs by the Tigers in the 6th.

Pettitte is pitching a gem and the 'Strohs are providing him the shaft.

Now he knows how Roger Clemens feels.

Clemens definitely should've chosen another team. Didn't he feel like he got screwed enough last year? A few teams would've given him the money he wanted, but I guess only one is close enough to his home.

QUOTE(tigerfan @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
I'm not saying he doesn't struggle, but he still more often then not will get the save. That's all that matters in the end.

In these days, more often than not doesnt work for a closer. 4 blown saves at this point in the season has already killed Dempster's chance at being the full time closer. You need to be near perfect to keep your job in the MLB, and his ERA will catch up to him. Just wait until he blows consecutive saves one weekend and get back to me.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
Clemens definitely should've chosen another team. Didn't he feel like he got screwed enough last year? A few teams would've given him the money he wanted, but I guess only one is close enough to his home.

Hell I for one am glad that he gets homesick and chose Houston instead Boston or New York.

Thank you Roger! :cheers

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
Just wait until he blows consecutive saves one weekend and get back to me.

This is so true. Tiger fans were ready to string Jones up by his balls a few weeks ago because of a horrible weekend against the Yankees and Red Sox. More than any other, the closers job is definitely a "what have you done for me lately" situation.

... and they walked Thames unintentionally in a bases loaded situation to give us a gift run! Thanks Astros!

4-0 Tigers

Update: Bonus gift run, wild pitch scores Pudge from 3rd. 5-0 Tigers.

What is with Houston? Geez, not even the Royals gave us cheapies like this.

Edited by hawkitis

QUOTE(hawkitis @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
... and they walked Thames unintentionally in a bases loaded situation to give us a gift run! Thanks Astros!

4-0 Tigers

Followed by a wild pitch via the arm of Brad "I'm worse than Todd Jones" Lidge.

Edited by JackTalkThai