Tiger Watch - Official Thread

hi8is

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
You can't just take into account 2006, everything before that does play in. The Tigers and Sox had a lot of the same players the last few years as they have this year and last. Track record is incredibly important. But I guess since your team has sucked for so long you'd rather not think about it but you have to. I don't mean this as an insult or anything but it's true.

Just keep telling yourself that the "past is ash", like that means something.

It means nothing. Keep telling yourself the Tigers will fade because they sucked last year. A year without Rogers, Granderson, Zumaya, Verlander, Leyland, etc.

It really has no bearing on this years team. You guys take it so personal. The SOX are great...they are the champs. I never said the Tigers are better.

Insult because the team was bad? Please its a freaking game.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
I hate to look as the past as you can see from my posts, but you guys continue to bring up the past in regards to Tigers pitching.

So here is my question, What was the SOX second half record last year? Did they fade at all? Were they ever in danger of blowing their huge first half lead? And if so, what did it ultimately cost them?

You get the point and you know the answer.

The big difference from the position the 2005 whitesox were in, and where you are is the fact we had a 15 game pad on the division, which allowed us to slump and suck and not give it up. We almost did.

A 2 game pad, is not as safe as a 15 game pad.

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)
It means nothing. Keep telling yourself the Tigers will fade because they sucked last year. A year without Rogers, Granderson, Zumaya, Verlander, Leyland, etc.

It really has no bearing on this years team. You guys take it so personal. The SOX are great...they are the champs. I never said the Tigers are better.

Damn you're dense. Try reading my posts more closely before you make comments like this. Just keep playing the same f***ing tune in your head over and over again if it makes you feel better "they're all against us, they're all against us." I think I'm done with this thread.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
The big difference from the position the 2005 whitesox were in, and where you are is the fact we had a 15 game pad on the division, which allowed us to slump and suck and not give it up. We almost did.

A 2 game pad, is not as safe as a 15 game pad.

Again, I am not thinking about the SOX, or the Divison. I made this point in regards to the joker that said the Tigers will fade and battle the Twins for the Card. We are currently 11 games up on the Twins. Just because the Sox tanked in the second half doesn't mean the Tigers will.

You were 15 up and held on.

The Tigers are 11 on the Twins and they will hold on as well.

Edited by Hurons

QUOTE(tigerfan @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
For anyone who thinks we will fade or fail to win the division this year, consider this statistic. Through 78 games we are 53-25. That means that in order to reach 100 wins this year we only need to go 47-37 the rest of the way. If you don't think we can do that, or do better then that then you're kidding yourself.

Boy I heard that alot. The sox had a better/about the same record as you guys do this season and the only thing we had to do is play .500 average ball the rest of the way to get to 98-100 wins. We did exactly that, but the Indians played outstanding ball the rest of the way. Could it happen this year? Keep your eye on the Twins who will probably be the dark horse when it's all said and done. Just take this into account. Three of our starters (Garcia-Garland-Vasquez) are underacheving before the break. If this guys figure it out after the break, I don't know how you guys can beat us at our best when they are on. Buehrle will be the same pitcher as his track record shows, and Contreras will pitch alittle better or alittle worse but will be about the same as he is right now. Your starters on the other hand are mysteries. Rogers is the only sure thing and we know he pitches worse after the break. Bonderman is probably going to be even better after the break but who knows how the Verlanders and the Maroths (how will he be after in injury) etc.. be afterwards.

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)

Your analysis has a huge flaw in that you believe the Tigers have control of their own fate. No matter the difference between the 2005 and 2006 Tigers, they cannot beat the World Champion White Sox.

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)

You just said that you don't like looking into the past. Now your saying since we managed to hold on to that lead in the end that the Tigers (who are a different team than us) will do the same from the Twins (my dark horse) team? Elaborate.

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.

So your saying that is enough of a reason to lose a 11 game lead on the Twins? My post was in direct response to that. I never said the Tigers were better than the Sox. In fact I think I said the Sox were a better club. With that said, the Sox kicked the Tigers butts in Detroit....the games were very close in Chicago. If you think the Sox are going to manhadle the the Tigers based on the early season results, you may be mistaken.

Do wise men routinely spell "you're" incorrectly?

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
Your analysis has a huge flaw in that you believe the Tigers have control of their own fate. No matter the difference between the 2005 and 2006 Tigers, they cannot beat the World Champion White Sox.

No one but a fool is always right.

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Again, I am not thinking about the SOX, or the Divison. I made this point in regards to the joker that said the Tigers will fade and battle the Twins for the Card. We are currently 11 games up on the Twins. Just because the Sox tanked in the second half doesn't mean the Tigers will.

I love how a 42-34 second half record constitutes tanking.

The Sox ended up winning the division by 6 games last year, oh how horrible.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
I love how a 42-34 second half record constitutes tanking.

The Sox ended up winning the division by 6 games last year, oh how horrible.

It helps a team to dominate its closest competitor as the Sox did Cleveland last season. The Tigers' closest competitor owns a healthy 5-1 record over them. Oops.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
Your starters on the other hand are mysteries. Rogers is the only sure thing and we know he pitches worse after the break. Bonderman is probably going to be even better after the break but who knows how the Verlanders and the Maroths (how will he be after in injury) etc.. be afterwards.

That is true, but our bullpen is incredible. You got Zumaya who can just blow stuff by you, Rodney who is equally impressive, and Jonesy who though he does struggle more often then not gets the job done in the end.

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
It's been fun guys...I will see you in October.

Later and good luck with you're season and you're board.

Still not right.

You should come to our parade this fall.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)
It helps a team to dominate its closest competitor as the Sox did Cleveland last season. The Tigers' closest competitor owns a healthy 5-1 record over them. Oops.

5-1 being the key here, it's still incredibly early and there's a ton of head to head action to be played.

QUOTE(tigerfan @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)
If you ask me, there's no way Minnesota comes close to us. Right now they're still 11 games back, even though they've been hot. So even if we do fall into 2nd at some point, I'm not too worried.

Pending the Twins/Dodger agme tonight, the Sox and Tigers are 10-1 in there last 11 and if the Twins win tonight they would also be 10-1 in there last 11.

The Royals entering today's game were even 7-3 in there last 10. How bout that central division :cheers

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
Define "a lot". Damn, there's like 4 posters here who say over and over again that the Tigers will fade and all that jazz, that's a GREAT minority. The "stop hating on us" s*** is getting old. If there's really anyone on here who thinks the Tigers will disappear by the end of the year then they're just completely delusional and ignoring the numbers which prove overwhelmingly that the Tigers will not be going anywhere.

If you asked me about the Tigers chances of sticking a month ago I would say "They are gonna fade like a cheap sweater". Now, however I dont think that at all. Much as it pains me to admit it, they have a pretty kickass team over there. It's gonna be a really entertaining race this season to be sure and I wouldn't be shocked at all to see these 2 teams face off in the ALCS.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
If you asked me about the Tigers chances of sticking a month ago I would say "They are gonna fade like a cheap sweater". Now, however I dont think that at all. Much as it pains me to admit it, they have a pretty kickass team over there. It's gonna be a really entertaining race this season to be sure and I wouldn't be shocked at all to see these 2 teams face off in the ALCS.

I agree with you 100% Nuke.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
Pending the Twins/Dodger agme tonight, the Sox and Tigers are 10-1 in there last 11 and if the Twins win tonight they would also be 10-1 in there last 11.

The Royals entering today's game were even 7-3 in there last 10. How bout that central division :cheers

The Indians still blow. ;)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
The Indians still blow. ;)

What the hell happened to them anyway? Everybody and their brother was expecting them to challenge for the division this year and they fell flat on their ass. Even Minnesota has gotten it together and is trying to make a move. What is Cleveland's problem?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
What the hell happened to them anyway? Everybody and their brother was expecting them to challenge for the division this year and they fell flat on their ass. Even Minnesota has gotten it together and is trying to make a move. What is Cleveland's problem?

First, I take offense to that comment. :P Their problem is pitching, they lost a lot of key cogs from that staff last year including: Millwood, Elarton(not huge here), Riske, Rhodes, Howry. Their bullpen was such a huge part of their success last year and when you lose three of your better bullpen arms and your ace..you're going to have some issues.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
First, I take offense to that comment. :P Their problem is pitching, they lost a lot of key cogs from that staff last year including: Millwood, Elarton(not huge here), Riske, Rhodes, Howry. Their bullpen was such a huge part of their success last year and when you lose three of your better bullpen arms and your ace..you're going to have some issues.

Just tell them to look at Knightni's sig and they'll know.. ;)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)

Deal with it. :bang

I didn't know they took such a staggering blow to their staff. I had a bit of tunnel vision following the Sox and Tigers so far this year.

QUOTE(tigerfan @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 09:05 PM)
But if we can get at least 100 wins (which I believe we will do if not better), then we'll have set ourselves up to have a fairly good chance at winning the division.

holy s***...these guys are on the pipe. :lolhitting