Tiger Watch - Official Thread

hi8is

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
The thing that bothers me is some people's obvious ignorance to the numbers. We're now 76 games into the season meaning there's 86 games remaining in the season, inorder to win 90 games the Tigers need to win only 39 more games, that means they can go 39-47 the rest of the way and still get to 90. In order for the Tigers to win 95 games they only need to play slightly above .500 ball the rest of the way at 44-42. If people really don't think the Tigers can go 44-42 in their final 86, they're kidding themselves.

There's no denying the numbers, especially when you consider the separation that the Tigers and Sox are getting right now from everyone else. What I'm interested in is whether the Tigers can win a playoff series. Right now I don't think they can when they face good pitching. They've made a good number of comebacks in the late innings, which says a lot about the team, but good pitching staffs can shut that down.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late inning rallies don't automatically go away because it's the playoffs. If you believe that, you haven't watched the games. Even good relievers can blow up on any given day.

That said, I think you're overestimating the number of late inning comebacks we have, especially when you seem to win just as many late. I doubt the number of games we've come back to win is drastically different than the number of games Todd Jones and co. have blown late when we had a lead.

I don't know if this team can win a playoff series. You'd like to see them add pieces at the deadline. Mike Ilitch (owner) said in the paper that they are looking for a lefthanded bat and that salary is not a prohibiting factor from acquiring one.

I think these people saying we're just going to fade away are silly. We can very likely make the playoffs playing a little over .500 ball the rest of the way. It would be some kind of collapse to start the year 51-25 and then not even be able to play .500 ball the rest of the way. I was a non-believer to start the season too but their play has changed my opinion even if you'd still like to see some of the holes patched up.

Edited by Wolverine31

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
When the Tigers do fade I dont wanna see any of you people now saying thay wont changing your tune.

Sorry I cant see their pitching staff keeping it up.

We never thought Garland was going to keep it up eithier....I think that staff is for real....The chicken guy was the vetren they needed.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
Let's compare the Tigers and Sox position by position, for s***s and giggles.

It's obvious that position by position we will have the better players but what does that prove? The '05 Sox could have been compared to the other elite teams from last year and had no more than 1 or 2 players that would be considered better than the other team's rosters.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
It's obvious that position by position we will have the better players but what does that prove?

Great post. Our 03' Sox EASILY had a better overall team than the Twins. (esp. our line-up) Look who was in the playoffs and who stayed home.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
I wish we had Granderson.

Granderson Biography:

Resides in Lynwood, IL during the off-season...As a junior in 1998 at Thornton Fractional South High School in Illinois he batted .326 with eight doubles, four home runs and 22 RBI...Hit .427 with seven doubles, six home runs and 47 RBI as a senior at Thornton Fractional South High School in 1999...selected SICA Central All-Conference, as well as receiving Illinois Times, Daily Southtown and Star Newspaper All-Area recognition...

Led the University of Illinois-Chicago with seven home runs and 45 walks as a freshman in 2000, batting .271 (57x210) with 38 RBI. Batted .304 (63x207) with 51 runs, eight doubles, five triples, eight home runs, 42 RBI and eight stolen bases during his sophomore season at the University of Illinois- Chicago in 2001...tied for the Midwestern Collegiate Conference lead with five triples...led the University of Illinois-Chicago in runs, home runs and walks (30)...Selected as Second-Team All-American by Baseball America and USA Today's Baseball Weekly and a Third- Team Louisville Slugger NCAA Division I All-American following

Edited by Hurons

Some good qoutes from this weekend:

"I'm going to do what I can as an owner to help our team win, just like I do with the Red Wings," Illitch said Friday. "I don't know what that might be — (manager Jim) Leyland makes the requests."

This series wraps up how much of a change it's been," said Inge, who made spectacular plays at third base to help complete the sweep.

"To be successful in those situations, you have to genuinely want to be in those situations," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "And he's for real."

Inge agreed.

"Granderson is my clutch MVP for the first half," he said.

Tigers starter Jeremy Bonderman allowed one run, seven hits and a walk over seven innings, throwing a season-high 116 pitches. Bonderman had eight strikeouts after striking out 12 in each of his previous two starts.

"He kept us in there so we could win," Leyland said.

In the eighth inning, rookie Joel Zumaya struck out Albert Pujols on an 85 mph pitch after he fouled off a 101 mph fastball.

"If Pujols is thinking fastball, fastball and you throw a fastball, that pitch is in the seats," Leyland said.

"Their pitching is great and they have power," St. Louis infielder Aaron Miles said. "And when you get into their bullpen, they're blowing pretty good stuff at you."

I don't think it's obvious the White Sox are better position by position at all.

We're better in LF, CF, and SS.

You're better in RF, 1B, DH, and 3B.

2B and C is about even.

Yes, you have a big advantage at 1B/Dh right now, but I'd say we have an equally big advantage in CF and SS.

Pitching wise it's about equal, although I'lll give you the edge due to the experience and traditional success.

Bullpen goes to us.

I do think the White Sox are a more talented team right now, but it's not like you're 30 games better than us or something.

It's certainly possible the Tigers will fade yes, but it's possible that ANY team will fade, it sure seems like your starters throw an awful lot of pitches and innings, who knows if they'll wear down?

I'll admit the Tigers have a higher chance of fading out than the White Sox do, but it's not even close to a 'sure thing' like alot of the posters here seem to think, as I said earlier in the thread I can't comprehend why you guys want us to fail so much, if anyone should be jealous and paranoid it's us, after all you're the defending champs.

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
I don't think it's obvious the White Sox are better position by position at all.

2B and C is about even.

Yes, you have a big advantage at 1B/Dh right now, but I'd say we have an equally big advantage in CF and SS.

Pitching wise it's about equal, although I'lll give you the edge due to the experience and traditional success.

Bullpen goes to us.

I do think the White Sox are a more talented team right now, but it's not like you're 30 games better than us or something.

It's certainly possible the Tigers will fade yes, but it's possible that ANY team will fade, it sure seems like your starters throw an awful lot of pitches and innings, who knows if they'll wear down?

I'll admit the Tigers have a higher chance of fading out than the White Sox do, but it's not even close to a 'sure thing' like alot of the posters here seem to think, as I said earlier in the thread I can't comprehend why you guys want us to fail so much, if anyone should be jealous and paranoid it's us, after all you're the defending champs.

So we should be rooting for the team ahead of us in the division?

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)

2B and C is about even.

Bullpen goes to us.

Define "a lot". Damn, there's like 4 posters here who say over and over again that the Tigers will fade and all that jazz, that's a GREAT minority. The "stop hating on us" s*** is getting old. If there's really anyone on here who thinks the Tigers will disappear by the end of the year then they're just completely delusional and ignoring the numbers which prove overwhelmingly that the Tigers will not be going anywhere.

I understand that we have to talk trash to each other to make it seem like we're true fans, but can't we just appreciate the fact that the AL Central has the best two teams (irregardless of who is best and who is second) in the ENTIRE major leagues at this moment. As a Tigers fan, I would love to win the division but after watching the losingest franchise over the past 10 years, I wouldn't cry too hard if we managed the wild card either.

It's impossible to speak for all other Tiger fans, but I'm pretty sure we're all feeling the same here. Imagine this scenario: A cop pulls you over on a Friday night at 3:00 am for going 20 over, decides that you are drunk, tells you that DUIs are expensive, and then lets you go without giving you even a ticket for speeding.

That feeling that you get when you pull (I'm assuming, lol) into your driveway realizing that you aren't in jail: That is what I have felt like for the last 2 months.

Go Tigers, I hope this race goes down to the wire. It seems to be way more fun this way.

May the best team win, and may the second best team whip up on the AL East in the first round of the playoffs.

QUOTE(zoomzoomK @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 11:03 PM)
I understand that we have to talk trash to each other to make it seem like we're true fans, but can't we just appreciate the fact that the AL Central has the best two teams (irregardless of who is best and who is second) in the ENTIRE major leagues at this moment. As a Tigers fan, I would love to win the division but after watching the losingest franchise over the past 10 years, I wouldn't cry too hard if we managed the wild card either.

It's impossible to speak for all other Tiger fans, but I'm pretty sure we're all feeling the same here. Imagine this scenario: A cop pulls you over on a Friday night at 3:00 am for going 20 over, decides that you are drunk, tells you that DUIs are expensive, and then lets you go without giving you even a ticket for speeding.

That feeling that you get when you pull (I'm assuming, lol) into your driveway realizing that you aren't in jail: That is what I have felt like for the last 2 months.

Go Tigers, I hope this race goes down to the wire. It seems to be way more fun this way.

May the best team win, and may the second best team whip up on the AL East in the first round of the playoffs.

remind me not to drive in Avondale

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 11:59 PM)
Position by position comparisions are so Mariotti.

You're so hung up on our positional setups, I figured you'd enjoy this.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 12:06 AM)
remind me not to drive in Avondale

:lolhitting