Gamethread 6-29-06, Sox vs. Pirates

Capn12

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
Interesting thing is, once you get past the spots on the map that are just like 100 people, it seems even the small cities are 250,000 people. Everything is a "big city" here compared with the U.S., there's just that many people. You're in what would be a small city, you walk down the road, there's internet cafes, a dozen brothels within a few blocks, business districts, bazaars, and so on. The run down areas where the workers live seem to surround these central areas where we're staying, but everything seems to join togehter in a big city form.

Have you seen the people spitting because of the smog, or is the city you are in not as smoggy. They are actually working on an awareness project now, to clean up this behavior before the Olympics.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)
Have you seen the people spitting because of the smog, or is the city you are in not as smoggy. They are actually working on an awareness project now, to clean up this behavior before the Olympics.

In terms of actual smog, the area I'm in is sort of interesting, in that you have everything that the industry in the area (large oil industry) has put out, combining with the wind-blown dust that China naturally produces like crazy (the Yellow River, or Huang He, is yellow because of this wind blown dust, the wind produces a plume that goes out into the Pacific for hundreds of kilometers). So honestly, I'm not sure what is smog and what isn't.

We spent 1 day in Beijing about 5 days ago, and again I couldn't tell if I was looking at smog or actual weather, because it started raining after a couple hours, so while there were low clouds, it could very well have just been rain. Thus far though, I'd say that in the cities, the skyline seems to resemble L.A., in that you only get a very limited view of the buildings around. IT could be better than I've seen though, dunno yet (we get another day in Beijing in about 6 days)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
In terms of actual smog, the area I'm in is sort of interesting, in that you have everything that the industry in the area (large oil industry) has put out, combining with the wind-blown dust that China naturally produces like crazy (the Yellow River, or Huang He, is yellow because of this wind blown dust, the wind produces a plume that goes out into the Pacific for hundreds of kilometers). So honestly, I'm not sure what is smog and what isn't.

We spent 1 day in Beijing about 5 days ago, and again I couldn't tell if I was looking at smog or actual weather, because it started raining after a couple hours, so while there were low clouds, it could very well have just been rain. Thus far though, I'd say that in the cities, the skyline seems to resemble L.A., in that you only get a very limited view of the buildings around. IT could be better than I've seen though, dunno yet (we get another day in Beijing in about 6 days)

Suzhou is right next to Shanghai. Suzhou is also interesting because its their version of Silicone Valley. Its a real high tech city. My new macbook was built at the apple plant that is a half a mile from our plant. You are getting to see a lot of China that I didnt get to see. Make sure you post pics when you get back.