All-Star Selections Thread

aboz56

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
While that's obviously true, I'd still say that Roy Oswalt and his 3.27 ERA (run support excluded) was having a better season than Buehrle. I just think that Garner handled the situation in the manner that I wish MLB would tweak the process in order to ensure happened again in the future. Select players that are having a great year this year, not reward players for last year's playoffs.

When they were picked they were very close in ERA, and only seperated by a win. When it is that close, a manager is gonna take his own guy.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 07:05 PM)
Doesn't it just make sense that if someone got hurt, someone from the 5-next-best ballot goes in?

This process is so screwed up.

yea, but he said no matter what position, it will be crede

I think Crede desrves to be there. Troy Glaus and his .248 batting average should be at home.

I also think that Lriano should be the final player to make it. I like AJ but Lriano will help the AL win with his nasty s***.

It's hilarious reading through Boston and New York's MLB message boards. Especially New Yorks, considering how Torre was with selecting his own players.

This s*** happens every...damn...year. There is always going to be deserving players left off. It's inevitable. Yet again and again we complain as if it's unexpected.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 07:00 PM)
No offense at all because I understand where you're coming from (we really do understand), but we don't give a s***. You might as well stop trying to make this point because we just don't care.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
The tv would only help you learn about Mauer or Liriano if they played the Yankees at least half the time.

:lolhitting

This has become one of the best threads ever.

I guess I don't understand why a fan of a rival team would come to another team's board and tell them to vote for the former team's player over their own.

I'm going over to the message boards of the Indians, Tigers, Twins, and Orioles to tell them why they should vote for AJ. That seems like it should work.

LOL @ the Sox fan who said the Tigers would have no starting pitching w/o Verlander. Do you even look at stats? Our "worst" starter has been Kenny Rogers and his whopping 3.72 ERA. I haven't checked the stats lately but that might be leading your starters.

BTW I think Ozzie is even more awesome for taking all of his players to the game instead of the most deserving players. There's no way guys like Liriano who lead the AL in ERA or Verlander who is third in ERA and has 10 wins did not deserve to go before Ozzie's home team picks.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Wolverine31 @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)
BTW I think Ozzie is even more of a tool for taking all of his players to the game instead of the most deserving players. There's no way guys like Liriano who lead the AL in ERA or Verlander who is third in ERA and has 10 wins did not deserve to go before Ozzie's home team picks.

The only questionable selection was Buehrle. The other 5 deserve to be there as much as anybody.

LOL @ the Sox fan who said the Tigers would have no starting pitching w/o Verlander. Do you even look at stats? Our "worst" starter has been Kenny Rogers and his whopping 3.72 ERA. I haven't checked the stats lately but that might be leading your starters.

BTW I think Ozzie is even more of a tool for taking all of his players to the game instead of the most deserving players. There's no way guys like Liriano who lead the AL in ERA or Verlander who is third in ERA and has 10 wins did not deserve to go before Ozzie's home team picks.

haha yea that was bad of me so I'll apologize

we won the world series, ozzie deserves to load up on his own guys, so don't b**** about it

the only one that I would question a bit is Buerhle (but before todays disaster outing he had been good)

Arnold-Stop-Whining-sizdow.jpg

WHITE SOX (6): Paul Konerko*, 1B; Jim Thome*, 1B; Jermaine Dye*, OF; Mark Buerhle*, P; Jose Contreras*, P; Bobby Jenks*, P

Notes:

¹ Fan Vote

* Player Ballot

# Managers/MLB Selection

## Final Vote Selection

º Injured, will not participate

ºº Elected not to participate

ª Named as replacement

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/a...roster_team.jsp

So unless I am reading that incorrectly, they were all Player Ballots.... So STFU about Ozzie "taking all of his players to the game instead of the most deserving players."

Anyone hear about Buehrle starting the All-Star game?

On WSI I noticed a thread which suggests it's official. It was posted about 10 minutes ago.

Please say this is wrong. If Ozzie is interested in winning he'll start anyone of Santana, Halladay, or Contrereas before Mark "7 run first inning" Buehrle.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
Anyone hear about Buehrle starting the All-Star game?

On WSI I noticed a thread which suggests it's official. It was posted about 10 minutes ago.

Please say this is wrong. If Ozzie is interested in winning he'll start anyone of Santana, Halladay, or Contrereas before Mark "7 run first inning" Buehrle.

Yeah because thats so common.

The Tigers are very worried about the amount of pitches Verlander has thrown this season... I think the last thing we want to do is let him have the week off... Vote for verlander... and vote for his dead arm in he second half.

To be honest with you, that's pretty sad. To think that you'll only be able to win if a key player from an opponent is injured. Says a lot about what you think of your own team.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
So unless I am reading that incorrectly, they were all Player Ballots.... So STFU about Ozzie "taking all of his players to the game instead of the most deserving players."

I don't think that's right.

Players making the American League All-Star team as a result of voting by Major League players, managers and coaches are catcher Joe Mauer of the Minnesota Twins; first baseman Jim Thome of the Chicago White Sox; second baseman Robinson Cano of the New York Yankees; third baseman Troy Glaus of the Toronto Blue Jays; shortstop Michael Young of the Texas Rangers; and outfielders Vernon Wells and Alex Rios of the Blue Jays and Jermaine Dye of the White Sox.

Because Cano and Rios are injured and will not be able to participate in the All-Star Game, they have been replaced by those next in line among the player choices. Thus, Cano has been replaced by Jose Lopez of the Seattle Mariners and Rios has been replaced by Gary Matthews, Jr. of the Rangers. Both Cano and Rios will be recognized as All-Stars and are invited to attend All-Star festivities.

Starting pitchers who are the player choices to be on the American League All-Star Team are Jose Contreras of the White Sox; Roy Halladay of the Blue Jays; Johan Santana of the Twins; Kenny Rogers of the Detroit Tigers; and Scott Kazmir of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. The relief pitchers who have earned invitations to the Midsummer Classic through the player voting are Jonathan Papelbon of the Boston Red Sox; B.J. Ryan of the Blue Jays; and Mariano Rivera of the New York Yankees.

The reserves, as named by Guillen in conjunction with Major League Baseball, are White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, outfielder Grady Sizemore of the Cleveland Indians, shortstop Miguel Tejada of the Baltimore Orioles, and pitchers Mark Buehrle and Bobby Jenks of the White Sox, Mark Redman of the Kansas City Royals and Barry Zito of the Oakland Athletics.

Link. Ozzie picked Mark, Paulie, and Jenks. Interesting that Jose got more player ballot votes than Santana.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)
The Tigers are very worried about the amount of pitches Verlander has thrown this season... I think the last thing we want to do is let him have the week off... Vote for verlander... and vote for his dead arm in he second half.

thats dumb, he'd have side sessions in an off week anyways