Update On Jones

palesox38

What do you think?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sox trade for Andruw Jones?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if the Braves will eat some of his salary

He has a .273 career average, a .346 career OBP, has hit over 35 homers only twice, will cost at least 2 good prospects, is still due about $6.5 mil this year and $13.5 next year, and his agent is Scott Boras. No thanks.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 07:45 AM)
It's my opinion ... ok?

Or is that not allowed anymore?

What you don't understand, and what you've never understood, and what I doubt you ever will understand is that site is a clearinghouse for things the guy reads, hears, or is told. It really is that straightforward.

The problem with people who bash that site IMO is this ... they are frustrated that some of these rumors don't come true. They keep little pencil and ruler scorecards so they can claim the validity or non-validity of that site or others like it.

Maybe people read that site because it gives them another viewpoint about what discussions might be taking place? You go out of your way to dismiss it every chance you get.

Everyone wants the scoop in trade discussions. Unfortunately, no one ... anywhere ... has the 100% scoop. He doesn't, beat writers don't, radio people don't, heck even a GM doesn't (because they don't always know what the other GM is doing). It is all part of a big puzzle that fans enjoy putting together. I don't understand why that's hard to understand, nor do I understand why you take shots at the site. But that's your perogative. I've read your blog twice, I think it's far less interesting than his site ... so be it. It's all the readers opinion anyways, in terms of what they get out of a site and its content.

If you try to position yourself as an expert. You're going to open yourself up to criticism.

If you're going to claim to have a source within the White Sox, then over the course of 8 months as the Sox make move-after-move, you have nothing of note on such moves, yet write about other non-moves, you're going to get called out.

If you're going to say that a 16th rounder drafted 4 months before, having played only 30 innings in the Appy league, is part of the centerpiece to a major trade, you're going to get laughed at. Time to get make up a new source.

I don't claim to have any inside knowledge of the White Sox. But I know them well. I know them well enough to smell bulls*** a mile away. Some of his stuff doesn't smell like s***, for that I give him credit. But the evidence for them having a source in the White Sox is far outweighed by the archive of missed chances to prove his source and the lone Woodson episode.

That site has no more inside knowledge of the White Sox than a number of posters here, including yourself -- who might just be MLBTR's White Sox deep throat given your staunch support -- I've never had anything to say about that site re: other teams because, well, I don't really know the other teams all that well. I only chime in when the White Sox 'source' bulls*** starts flowing.

Guest JimH
I don't claim to have any inside knowledge of the White Sox. But I know them well. I know them well enough to smell bulls*** a mile away. Some of his stuff doesn't smell like s***, for that I give him credit. But the evidence for them having a source in the White Sox is far outweighed by the archive of missed chances to prove his source and the lone Woodson episode.

That site has no more inside knowledge of the White Sox than a number of posters here, including yourself -- who might just be MLBTR's White Sox deep throat given your staunch support -- I've never had anything to say about that site re: other teams because, well, I don't really know the other teams all that well. I only chime in when the White Sox 'source' bulls*** starts flowing.

So basically some of that guy's stuff smells like s*** and some of it doesn't. Ok.

You do realize that about 5% or less of deals that are discussed actually come to fruition, right? Or sometimes they come to fruition 2-3 years down the line? Two good examples are Mackowiak and Cintron. The White Sox were interested in both of those guys for at least 2 years. But if it's mentioned on some internet site that they're interested ... and it doesn't come true by someone's particular timeframe ... it's bulls***?

Uh, no, that's not how it works.

Again, to me there's no sense keeping a scorecard on what that site does, when in reality it's simply a clearinghouse for things being discussed. Emphasis on "discussed". Even if someone has a rock solid source, doesn't mean the source isn't rock solid if something that's said falls through. It's the nature of rumors, discussions, and trade talks. Trade scenarios are discussed all the time. Strange and outlandish trade scenarios are discussed quite a bit too.

And no I am not that guy's deep throat. Nor am I a staunch supporter of his site. However, I am able to remove the emotion from it and not keep a "he's right, now he's wrong again" scorecard. It's a clearinghouse site for rumors, he adds his own opinion from time to time. That's about it.

Lastly ... saying that you as a fan know the White Sox well and don't know other teams well ... but can still tell what's bulls*** and what isn't ... nothing personal but that tells me you don't know a whole lot about how trades are discussed and ultimately come together.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
Lastly ... saying that you as a fan know the White Sox well and don't know other teams well ... but can still tell what's bulls*** and what isn't ... nothing personal but that tells me you don't know a whole lot about how trades are discussed and ultimately come together.

I know how trades go down.

You check the guys you want to put on the block. Other teams email you with their offers. You accept or reject them.

or

You make a trade offer to another team, and when the reject it, you go back to the settings and deselect 'fair trades,' then make the offer again.

There's only one side to trades afterall :rolly:

Guest JimH
I know how trades go down.

You check the guys you want to put on the block. Other teams email you with their offers. You accept or reject them.

or

You make a trade offer to another team, and when the reject it, you go back to the settings and deselect 'fair trades,' then make the offer again.

There's only one side to trades afterall :rolly:

You are the one who said you don't know much about other teams. No need for the sarcasm. Like you said, portray yourself to be an expert, expect to be criticized.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 12:20 AM)
Because the value of each of those pitchers is roughly similar...

Obviously. Garland is a star (dare I say 'stud'?), one of the best young pitchers in the game, and a future ace of the rotation! McCarthy.. well.. he's just some scrub reliever that lets up homeruns.

Pitching is the weakspot of this team, so by all means lets trade away our young pitching, the pitcher that practically every team asks for when the call us to trade - he gave up 2 home runs yesterday, so he must suck. And let's do it for a hard-used Andruw JOnes who, despite the absurd hype around him, is another Carlos Lee/Dye level hitter (power, mediocre obp) of which we have a surplus. Anderson is young, cheap and better defensively.

If it were up to conventional wisdom, we'd never have young players....no Garland, no Crede, no Anderson, but we'd have Joe Randa and Darin Erstad wheezing around the bases.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 08:56 PM)
Pitching is the weakspot of this team, so by all means lets trade away our young pitching, the pitcher that practically every team asks for when the call us to trade - he gave up 2 home runs yesterday, so he must suck. And let's do it for a hard-used Andruw JOnes who, despite the absurd hype around him, is another Carlos Lee/Dye level hitter (power, mediocre obp) of which we have a surplus. Anderson is young, cheap and better defensively.

If it were up to conventional wisdom, we'd never have young players....no Garland, no Crede, no Anderson, but we'd have Joe Randa and Darin Erstad wheezing around the bases.

Hillarious.

Also, Jermaine Dye had a .401 OBP comming into today's game.

If we can get Andruw Jones this team would be absolutely stacked. And like I said before, almost unfair for our opponents. I'm sure KW will inquire about Jones. But right now his first priority is:

#1: shoring up the bullpen, notably Pollite's spot. Sorry Cliff, but your our mop up guy and we cant afford that going down the stretch. I've heard Roberto Hernandez' name quite frequently from ESPN and Gammons and it would be a good pick up.

#2: either fix Javy Vazquez or trade him for some bullpen help or another starter. This guy is damn lucky he gets 8 runs/ game from this offense. He has nasty stuff but doesnt know how or when to use it. I've heard Schmidt's name and it wouldn't be a bad pick up, but will he that much better than Javy?

#3: replace Anderson w/ Jones, Figgins etc...

Its simple, if we get Jones (who is one of the best defenders in baseball and can hit the ball hard) we would be just tooo damn powerful. I would love it!

Imagine this:

Pods, Gooch, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Jones, AJ, Crede, Uribe

Wow