Politte Continues to Struggle

Greg Hibbard

Some good news on the Hermanson watch front.

tonight he made his '06 milb debut, he threw 12 pitches 8 for strikes, 1 ground out 2 fly outs, no walks. I hope he can be back with this team after the ASG, God Speed Dustin.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes me sad in a way to see what Cliff has become this season. He was such an important part of our ballclub last season getting through that 7th and 8th innings without too many problems. He's been a good contributor for this team for a couple of seasons and he still remains one of KW's better signings price - wise, throughout his tenure as a General Manager.

I'm not going to sit here and take potshots at him for what he's currently become. He's not getting the job done no question. But it shows you how this game can have you up on the top of the world at one moment, and have you right back down the next.

Hopefully for Cliff's sake, they figure out what's wrong with him, arm and shoulder wise so he can get healthy again. If he would come back cheaply, the Sox should at least give him a minor league contract at the end of the season, and hope he can re-produce the form he showed last season.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 01:25 AM)

tonight he made his '06 milb debut, he threw 12 pitches 8 for strikes, 1 ground out 2 fly outs, no walks. I hope he can be back with this team after the ASG, God Speed Dustin.

That is wonderful news.

I really like Politte, but if he doesn't have it, he doesn't have it. This is one case where I really think running him out threre in blow outs just isn't going to make him any better.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 02:25 AM)

That is great news. The pen would look a whole lot better with Hermanson in there:

McCarthy

Thornton

Riske

Cotts

Hermanson

Jenks

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 04:39 AM)
It makes me sad in a way to see what Cliff has become this season. He was such an important part of our ballclub last season getting through that 7th and 8th innings without too many problems. He's been a good contributor for this team for a couple of seasons and he still remains one of KW's better signings price - wise, throughout his tenure as a General Manager.

I'm not going to sit here and take potshots at him for what he's currently become. He's not getting the job done no question. But it shows you how this game can have you up on the top of the world at one moment, and have you right back down the next.

Hopefully for Cliff's sake, they figure out what's wrong with him, arm and shoulder wise so he can get healthy again. If he would come back cheaply, the Sox should at least give him a minor league contract at the end of the season, and hope he can re-produce the form he showed last season.

This is how I feel too. Cliff is a class act and was just a huge part of our success last year. I wish him the best and hope some how he can round into form. That being said, unfortunately he needs to be let go whether it's for Dustin or Montero or a trade because he's just not the same pitcher and isn't getting the job done.

I am glad to see this thread has tamed down a bit. I agree Cliff is brutal out there and isn't an option now. However, I will not bash the guy, or anyone else from the 2005 team. Those guys took us for the ride while they left it all on the field and won the trophy. None of them will have the magic forever, but they will always have my respect and gratitude and when it is time to say goodbye, that is the spirit I will approach it with.

Thanks for everything, Cliffy :cheers

SFF

Here's my take FWIW:

I root for our guys and I hate to see once glorious players struggle.

In '04 Shingo was my favorite pitcher. He was great. He started out '05 okay, and then that awful Cleveland game (I was there) with three homers suggested that perhaps he had a chink in his armor. He was on/off for a while, but then that fateful Cleveland game (remember?) after the ASB when he couldn't close it out... I knew he was done. I loved him as a player, but the bottom line was we have a job to do, and he can't do it.

To me, Cliff is the Shingo of '06. Yeah he was great last year, but for whatever reason, he's been awful this year. He's been given many chances IMO, and last night after the 8th I was looking forward to seeing him in the 9th and starting a confidence-building streak. It didn't happen.

I'd say: one more chance. But sooner or later, people, you have to face reality and cut your losses. I don't exactly salivate over Montero, but cold hard reality is that this is NOT '05 Politte. Love him, hate him... whatever.

We are here to win. If he can't help us do that, then he has to go. Sucks, yeah. But he has not made a case for himself. Especially last night. That was a no-pressure situation, and he still struggled. That's a HUGE red flag.

Edited by LVSoxFan

The simple fact is that Cliff needs surgery on his shoulder. This shouldn't be a tough decision. Obviously KW and Oz know more than us, but I find it odd that they keep thinking that Cliff will come out of this as if he's in a funk rather than battling an injury.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
The dude was hitting 93 last night and says he's healthy. I don't think it's a physical thing.

His fastball was hitting 93 alright but it a dead body has more movement than it does. If you're going to throw it like that you need to be upper 90's and even then it's not always guaranteed it wont be hit. A 93 MPH fastball over the plate with no movement is just screaming HIT ME HIT ME!!!

Cliff Pollitte is HURT. I dont care what the SOX say. When he was eligible to come off the DL, the SOX shouldve sent him down to AAA to get some work in. Instead, Ozzie promptly put him on the mound during the Sunday Cub game and He blew the game for us. How long its going to take him to heal, im not sure, but maybe Ozzie is throwing him under the bus in order to get us another solid BP guy ..........

Guest JimH
hangar they did send him down to AAA for a bit.

Yes, he was in Charlotte for about a week, Ozzie didn't throw him right into a game after the DL. He had a rehab stint first.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
His fastball was hitting 93 alright but it a dead body has more movement than it does. If you're going to throw it like that you need to be upper 90's and even then it's not always guaranteed it wont be hit. A 93 MPH fastball over the plate with no movement is just screaming HIT ME HIT ME!!!

this isn't a new development; his fastball never had a lot of movement