Politte Continues to Struggle

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 03:30 AM)
Give me Montero, Give me Tracey, Give me Farnsworth... at this point I will take almost anyone on the farm over Cliff.

Thanks for the memories Cliff.

I can confidently say that Tracey's not an option.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
Look, I will be forever in debt to Cliff for the role he played last year. I've said that about 674 times this year. But it's 2006 now. I want to repeat. I want it this year more than last year. Cliff Politte hurts the chances of us winning again. That's all that really matters.

There is a difference, perhaps too subtle for you to comprehend, between not wanting Politte anymore on the team -- and nobody can possibly want him to remain -- and saying, "He's trash" over and over and over, and ridiculing the end of his career.

I'm not going to work myself up over it, and I'm going to bow out now, thanks. I just wanted to say that those of you laughing at Cliff's failures and screeching not for him to bow out of the game, to be cut from the team, but having all the fun in the world and directing all your misguided anger toward him should be ashamed.

But, hey, he's garbage, and worthless now, right? So it's okay to be cruel instead of insensitive.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
There is a difference, perhaps too subtle for you to comprehend, between not wanting Politte anymore on the team -- and nobody can possibly want him to remain -- and saying, "He's trash" over and over and over, and ridiculing the end of his career.

I'm not going to work myself up over it, and I'm going to bow out now, thanks. I just wanted to say that those of you laughing at Cliff's failures and screeching not for him to bow out of the game, to be cut from the team, but having all the fun in the world and directing all your misguided anger toward him should be ashamed.

But, hey, he's garbage, and worthless now, right? So it's okay to be cruel instead of insensitive.

Yeah well when you get paid big bucks like that and dont perform its kind of hard to muster any sympathy for his widdle feewings.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 03:40 AM)

Mrs. Politte, shouldn't you be looking at real estate in the Cincinnati area? :P I don't think any of us are happy that it's come to this with Cliff.

Oh, but a snide, condescending attitude towards all the other people in this thread is perfectly acceptable right?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 03:40 AM)

your silly.

When people say "he's garbage," I'm fairly certain they're talking about his performance. Everybody knows what a good guy Cliff is. You think I like the fact that he sucks so bad? I wish he was the same guy from last year. We'd have pretty much the best bullpen in the league if he was. Don't get mad at me because he's terrible.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
your silly.

I have a silly?! What about my silly?

Oh, but a snide, condescending attitude towards all the other people in this thread is perfectly acceptable right?

Can't you read, my dear boy? I was replying to one specific person when I made the comment about subtlety. I guess in your haste to take offense at my indignation you wanted to make the point that I am righteous and condescending. Congratulations.

Mrs. Politte, shouldn't you be looking at real estate in the Cincinnati area? I don't think any of us are happy that it's come to this with Cliff.

:P

Like I've said, I was merely taking offense at the extreme and caveman-like attitude toward Politte. I wasn't defending him, or asking for a second chance.

Yeah well when you get paid big bucks like that and dont perform its kind of hard to muster any sympathy for his widdle feewings.

I wasn't talking about his feelings, per se. I was making the point that so many people here laughing it up at his failures as to ignore such basic virtues as gratitude and general decency toward their fellows.

It's not like Cliff Politte killed your best friend, or dogged it on the field or anything like that.

QUOTE(Sox It To Em @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
I can't help but feel sorry for Cliff. He seems like a genuinely nice guy. But this is the majors, and if he can't cut the mustard anymore, which does seems to be the case, then it's time to say goodbye. Thanks for 2005, Cliff.

There we go. That's about right, and well said.

Are you sure you don't want him to be killed, or to hang a banner saying, "My career fell apart in 2006 after a beautiful 2005!" on his chest and boot him around at the next SoxFest?

It appears to be a lack of confidence problem to me...which in turn effects his location. His location has been terrible and thus he has been hit around a ton. If he can regains his confidence he would be fine but I do not see that happening any time soon.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 10:56 PM)
There we go. That's about right, and well said.

Are you sure you don't want him to be killed?

Yes, death is far too lax of a punishment. I would say eighteen straight months of being subject to ancient Chinese torture methods seem more than appropiate.

Edited by Sox It To Em

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
There is no such thing as grace anymore. A guy gives you the best year of his career and the worst, but in each he tries to the best of his ability, shows up to work, does what is asked of him, and works hard. His career collapses, and that makes him a perfectly valid target for ridicule and attack.

:headshake

Theres no need for the headshake. Just like Politte is a valid target for ridicule, my criticism of the title of this thread is valid. I agree with everything you said, just not the original title of the thread.

QUOTE(BFirebird @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
It appears to be a lack of confidence problem to me...which in turn effects his location. His location has been terrible and thus he has been hit around a ton. If he can regains his confidence he would be fine but I do not see that happening any time soon.

Cliff has 2 things going wrong for him right now. One is his control. He is not getting ahead of hitters, and is constantly getting into 2-0 and 3-1 counts. The second issue is he no longer has an explosive fastball like he did when he first came to the sox. When he first signed with the sox, he was 94-96. Last year we saw a slight dropoff as he concentrated on his control more. He was still 93-94 in the zone. Now he is mainly 90-91. When a reliever gets into a hitters count, and is a two pitch pitcher and has a very straight medicore fastball, what you have been seeing happens. They hit him all over the park.

Cliffy needs the bone spurs removed from his elbow so he can throw free and easy. However that will need to happen for another team. Cliffy is in his walk year, and with his terrible performances wants to make something happen so he can get a decent contract. You cant blame him for that, so he refuses the surgery, and is trying to pitch through the pain. But when you are a hard fastball, hard slider guy and the speed differential between those two pitches are not that much, then you are going to get hurt. Maybe we can send Cliffy to the Reds for a prospect of some sort. They are absolutely desperate for pitching, and will give Cliffy a chance to work through it. We however dont have the luxury to let one person burn our pen down. KW will most likely go out and get someone, Montero will get a chance for right now.

Thank you clifford for all the memories of 2005. You are a warrior, however its time to part ways. He doesnt suck, he isnt bad. He is injuried. He needs to recoup however somewhere else.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)
Theres no need for the headshake. Just like Politte is a valid target for ridicule, my criticism of the title of this thread is valid. I agree with everything you said, just not the original title of the thread.

I have nothing further to add.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 12:08 AM)
Cliff has 2 things going wrong for him right now. One is his control. He is not getting ahead of hitters, and is constantly getting into 2-0 and 3-1 counts. The second issue is he no longer has an explosive fastball like he did when he first came to the sox. When he first signed with the sox, he was 94-96. Last year we saw a slight dropoff as he concentrated on his control more. He was still 93-94 in the zone. Now he is mainly 90-91. When a reliever gets into a hitters count, and is a two pitch pitcher and has a very straight medicore fastball, what you have been seeing happens. They hit him all over the park.

Cliffy needs the bone spurs removed from his elbow so he can throw free and easy. However that will need to happen for another team. Cliffy is in his walk year, and with his terrible performances wants to make something happen so he can get a decent contract. You cant blame him for that, so he refuses the surgery, and is trying to pitch through the pain. But when you are a hard fastball, hard slider guy and the speed differential between those two pitches are not that much, then you are going to get hurt. Maybe we can send Cliffy to the Reds for a prospect of some sort. They are absolutely desperate for pitching, and will give Cliffy a chance to work through it. We however dont have the luxury to let one person burn our pen down. KW will most likely go out and get someone, Montero will get a chance for right now.

Thank you clifford for all the memories of 2005. You are a warrior, however its time to part ways. He doesnt suck, he isnt bad. He is injuried. He needs to recoup however somewhere else.

And thats truly ALL that needs to be said about things. I'm as disappointed in Politte this year as anyone, but I'm not gonna start talking s*** about how bad he is, slinging mud at him, etc...whats the point? Does it make you all feel better about him giving up 3 runs tonight if you call him a few names?

Well then go for it, but don't be pissing and moaning if and when you get asked to tone things down every once in a while.

QUOTE(BFirebird @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
It appears to be a lack of confidence problem to me...

that or a lack of juice

:ph34r:

seriously though, the guy used to be a psycho on the mound. now he's really weak, no emotion.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 10:52 PM)
Can't you read, my dear boy? I was replying to one specific person when I made the comment about subtlety. I guess in your haste to take offense at my indignation you wanted to make the point that I am righteous and condescending. Congratulations.

:P

Kindly eschew verbosity and obfuscation.

Also...

Let me tell you the difference between saying "Garland is trash", "Vazquez is trash" and "Politte is trash"

We don't have necessarily reliable options to replace Garland and Vazquez, so we actually have to work with these guys. That's why I've been hesitant to overly criticize and been patient in looking for Coop to resolve this.

However, with the trade for Riske, Politte's duty was reduced to a role that literally ANY other major leaguer with a functioning right arm could perform - mop up duty either way.

Sure, he had a fine year last year. But don't overestimate what his role was on that team, a middle relief pitcher. He's not your starter and he's not your closer, so he's not nearly as important in the scheme of a pitching staff. And if he's not left-handed, he's easily easily replaceable at the major league level.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 12:08 AM)

I agree with this sentiment. I thought it was the wrong move for Ozzie to leave him in for the 9th tonight if what we were trying to do was rebuild his confidence. But it was probably the right move if we were trying to make a decision on whether to keep him active or put him on the DL again. I actually expect us to put him on the DL again before we'll trade him, as he can't have any real trade value.

I'm ready to send him to the DL tomorrow and bring Montero up.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 03:52 AM)
and why do you say that with such confidence?

Ozzie would have to be out of any other options before he'd call Tracey back up. I'm not getting into more detail about this, but I'd be stunned if Tracey's a member of this organization after this year.