I have had enough with Chris Widger

santo=dorf

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 12:56 AM)
Fish u nicca.

EDIT: I also find it histerical that you diss the Widge and he is so-called your favorite player on the sox. He is da man. No one can touch him.

Actually he cant touch lefties. Hence why he provides nothing.

.175 BA against lefties, you know the guys I primarily hit against because I sub in for AJ is so kewl.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 01:02 AM)
Youz a busta

I'm too lazy and tired to do any PWNing for today so I'll let you off the hook mmmmm k? :)

Your sig is sweet by the way. :headbang

Ok, so you link to my profile as evidence of something or other, you sir are a fool.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 01:03 AM)
Ok, so you link to my profile as evidence of something or other, you sir are a fool.

I love how you changed your sig from "I still love you Widger" to "The roller of curveballs" Nice thought.

All I can say, is that it's time for Widge to go. He's a great guy, I met him in Chicago last year. He was also a great story last year. But it just seems that every time I get lucky, and get to see Buehrle pitch on TV here(upstate NY), Widge is catching and Mark gets shelled. I won't even mention his offense.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 12:28 AM)
I saw this posted on another site. I think I want to vomit.

Breakdown of AJ vs Widge with Buerhle pitching

Total Innings with Widger Catching = 54

Games Started = 8

Games Started vs. Powerful Lineups = 6

Earned Runs = 32

Sox Record = 3-5

Mark Buehrle Record = 1-5

Total Innings with AJ Catching = 69

Games Started = 10

Games Started vs. Powerful Lineups = 2

Games Started = 10

Earned Runs = 23 (10 vs. the Cubs in one game)

Sox Record = 9-1

Mark Buehrle Record = 8-1

Wow, that is ridiculous.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 06:30 AM)
How come Widge caught good games last year and this year everytime he's behind the plate, the pitcher gets shelled? Should we blaim the pitchers or him? Is he really calling that bad of a game?

It's interesting, because iirc his cera last year was pretty solid and that doesn't seem to be something you would just all the sudden get much worse at over the course of a year. That being said, it also can't be a coincidence that all of our pitchers have pitched worse with him behind the plate.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 06:42 AM)
It's interesting, because iirc his cera last year was pretty solid and that doesn't seem to be something you would just all the sudden get much worse at over the course of a year. That being said, it also can't be a coincidence that all of our pitchers have pitched worse with him behind the plate.

Actually I'm pretty sure Garcia is better when Widger catches him.

Backup catcher would be one of the areas I would like to upgrade on at the deadline. I know people have mentioned someone like Henry Blanco as a possibility, even someone like Mike Lieberthal (if the Phillies paid the majority of his salary) as well maybe?

In any case, Chris Stewart should be ready to take over next season, but not right at this stage. Promising thing for me in Stewart's case a 23/13 K/BB ratio in 191 AB's.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 08:16 AM)
Actually I'm pretty sure Garcia is better when Widger catches him.

Gotcha. Do you know what his cera was from last year? Like I said before, I find it really hard to believe that all of the sudden he just forgot how to call a game.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
Most teams back-up catchers are not too good. Widger isn't good, but for a back-up he's fine. I would hope the Sox wouldn't waste prospects on trading for a back-up. Stewart is going to be the guy next year. Maybe even in September.

Well obviously you don't want to overpay for one, and considering Stewart will be ready next year like you said, it probably wouldn't be highly beneficial for KW to make a move, although we would still like to see an upgrade over Widger.

Unfortunately we'll just have to hope Widger can improve that CERA of his.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 08:23 AM)
Gotcha. Do you know what his cera was from last year? Like I said before, I find it really hard to believe that all of the sudden he just forgot how to call a game.

I can't remember off hand but I'm pretty sure it was lower than Pierzynski's, the roles have reversed this year and it makes no absolutely sense.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
I can't remember off hand but I'm pretty sure it was lower than Pierzynski's, the roles have reversed this year and it makes no absolutely sense.

I also recall it being lower than Aj's. Like you said, doesn't make much sense.

Guest JimH
Well obviously you don't want to overpay for one, and considering Stewart will be ready next year like you said, it probably wouldn't be highly beneficial for KW to make a move, although we would still like to see an upgrade over Widger.

Unfortunately we'll just have to hope Widger can improve that CERA of his.

Yes, I think you're right. Stewart has a good arm, not great, but above average and he is a very good defensive catcher. He's a guy the White Sox believe in and from what I have heard the pitchers really liked throwing to him.

Regarding Widger this year ... while personally I think the pitchers are not executing their pitches, I have also questioned his game calling multiple times and agree with many of the comments from posters who have done the same. IMO he does not work inside enough but then again that is my own personal bias. Also I agree with the poster who said it's too coincidental that Buehrle's record is so much worse with Widger behind the plate.

As for his hitting, he has never been a good hitter but I will say he generally has decent at bats ... making the pitcher work a bit. Not always but he is not a dumb hitter.

Widger is also very well respected in the clubhouse, I know people are tired of hearing that mantra but it does factor in, especially with the pitchers. But it is all about performance. I highly doubt they will make a move, i.e. dump Widger and bring in Stewart but I do think you will see Stewart get a few games in September to give these guys a break. But if they are neck and neck in a pennant race then it will just be in blowouts or in case of injury.

Either way ... there are a number of guys on this White Sox team who need to pick it up and get it in gear. First in line IMO are the starting pitchers with few exceptions.

IMO, Buerhle is a better pitcher with AJP behind the plate. That said, AJP was behind the plate when the Cubs tatooed Buerhle for 11 runs last weekend. Last night, Buerhle did give up a couple of runs that were results of broken bats and bloops. I really doubt acquiring a guy to play once a week is very high on KW's priority list right now. I think they ride it out with Widger, maybe call up Stewart in September, and give Stewart every opportunity to be the back-up next year. AJP may be the MVP of the Sox right now. I think he may be the one player they could least afford to lose to injury.

Edited by Dick Allen

Former sox prospect Miguel Olivo has got a cannon(31SB/18CS/.367CS%), hes handling the best young pitching staff(4.22CERA and thats with Brian Moehler(6.84ERA)....ewww) and hes tearing the cover off the ball AVG .291 | HR 9 | RBI 34 | OBP .321 | SLG .492, which is exactly why we will not get him, but its good to see Olivo doing well with the Marlins

QUOTE(beautox @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 12:49 AM)
Former sox prospect Miguel Olivo has got a cannon(31SB/18CS/.367CS%), hes handling the best young pitching staff(4.22CERA and thats with Brian Moehler(6.84ERA)....ewww) and hes tearing the cover off the ball AVG .291 | HR 9 | RBI 34 | OBP .321 | SLG .492, which is exactly why we will not get him, but its good to see Olivo doing well with the Marlins

Joe Girardi has really done a FANTASTIC job with Miggy Olivo. Olivo is on what his 4th major league organization right now, and there was always a question about his ability to call a game and being able to actually hit a curveball and not K.

Really glad to see that he eventually started to play at a level that which his talent is there for all to see.