Jason Schmidt

bschmaranz

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 12:31 AM)
McCarthy did good yesterday from what I hear, but damn, you guys are on his nuts. Yesterday didn't change the fact that overall, he's been sucky this season and he has yet to show that he is good for more than a few starts in a season. Sorry for not conforming and ready to label this guy as the Messiah.

how about i label you an idiot.... id do that, but it wouldnt be nice.... instead, ill resort to keeping my mouth shut.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 08:51 PM)
Seriously, f*** ROWAND. I am sick of hearing that we will deal for him. I would rather have BA patrolling the OF.

Anderson will be one of the best defensive centerfielders in baseball the way he patrols center. Rowand did a nice job here, however when its all said and done, Anderson > Rowand defensively.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 08:55 PM)
Anderson will be one of the best defensive centerfielders in baseball the way he patrols center. Rowand did a nice job here, however when its all said and done, Anderson > Rowand defensively.

Anderson will eventually be better than him offensively, as crazy as that sounds.

I thought we were talking about pitching. Andersen is very good defensively but not ready this year.Thats not bad just factual. I think you need a better than 200 hitter in center field if you want to win this thing. Doesn't mean we can't keep andersen, just means maybe we might want to get somebody better for the next two months. In addition, I do think if we can get schmidt without giving up andersen or mcarthy we should damn right do it. Our starting pitching has not been good and maybe its because we pitched alot of innings last year, who knows, but schmidt would be nice to have.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)
dont look now, but anderson is almost up to hitting .200

=P

so if he hits .400 in the second half, he'll hake it to .300

hHA

You know what, if he hits 250 from here on out, thats all that is needed. Rowand hit like 265 last year. Andersen just has to stop being an easy out. He cannot be hitting like a pitcher especially in NL parks. That would mean two players who hit less than 200 and thats a problem. If he can get it together than that would be great, problem is we are running out of time and we are in it this year. If we weren't so close it would not make a difference, but the Tigers will improve with a player or two, and so will the yanks and even teams in the west.The sox have three holes right now. Bullpen, a hitting center fielder, and starting pitching (unless these guys get there asses together)

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 02:16 AM)
You know what, if he hits 250 from here on out, thats all that is needed. Rowand hit like 265 last year. Andersen just has to stop being an easy out. He cannot be hitting like a pitcher especially in NL parks. That would mean two players who hit less than 200 and thats a problem. If he can get it together than that would be great, problem is we are running out of time and we are in it this year. If we weren't so close it would not make a difference, but the Tigers will improve with a player or two, and so will the yanks and even teams in the west.The sox have three holes right now. Bullpen, a hitting center fielder, and starting pitching (unless these guys get there asses together)

the end of the world is upon us.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
the end of the world is upon us.

not sure I understand, but this is a trade thread talking about a rumor.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)
BA dug himself such a deep hole that he's not gonna look good in the final account, like Paulie in 2003. I hope everyone can keep that in mind, and not keep citing the year-total stats.

Which most people here seem to be doing, I'm just saying.

hey jackie, I actually don't think I am doing that. I think that if he hits 250 from here on out, than we will be ok, but time is not on our side. KW will need to make a decision on that within a month. If the guy was hitting 250 already this would not be talked about and we would be concentrating on the bullpen.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:26 PM)
hey jackie, I actually don't think I am doing that. I think that if he hits 250 from here on out, than we will be ok, but time is not on our side. KW will need to make a decision on that within a month. If the guy was hitting 250 already this would not be talked about and we would be concentrating on the bullpen.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about you. :D

I know you don't care much about minor league stats, but I do, and from those I find it hard to believe that he'll hit below .200 for the rest of the year. And, jmo, but I'm not too picky about anything between .230-.270, as long as he manages an obp over .300 (and preferably .310), and picks up the power a bit. Which I think he'll do, so I'm not eager to give up much for a cf.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
Yeah, I wasn't sure about you. :D

I know you don't care much about minor league stats, but I do, and from those I find it hard to believe that he'll hit below .200 for the rest of the year. And, jmo, but I'm not too picky about anything between .230-.270, as long as he manages an obp over .300 (and preferably .310), and picks up the power a bit. Which I think he'll do, so I'm not eager to give up much for a cf.

actaully this may sound strange coming from me, but let me set the record on a few things. The first is I like andersen in the field. I think he is already better than Rowand and I do think andersen will one day win a gold glove. Now that has no bearing on this year. When you have a chance to win the whole thing, take it. I am not advocating Andersen or mcarthy to leave this team. i suggest we use other chips, but I do believe if andersen continues to struggle than we will continue to struggle in the long run as well. I am not saying he is an MVP just that we need a better hitting approach from him.

as far as the minors are concerned, I don't care too much for these guys because I think 1 out 10 make it. The ratio is probably worse than that. In addition free agency has completely changed the game and a team can fill in pieces with those types of players if need be. I do think there will be a time in the future where the sox will fail and then sell off there parts to rebuild. At that time I will look to folks like yourself and the futuresox people to determine if we are getting good value for our major league players we are trading. Right now though I am thinking pennant race and world series.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
actaully this may sound strange coming from me, but let me set the record on a few things. The first is I like andersen in the field. I think he is already better than Rowand and I do think andersen will one day win a gold glove. Now that has no bearing on this year. When you have a chance to win the whole thing, take it. I am not advocating Andersen or mcarthy to leave this team. i suggest we use other chips, but I do believe if andersen continues to struggle than we will continue to struggle in the long run as well. I am not saying he is an MVP just that we need a better hitting approach from him.

as far as the minors are concerned, I don't care too much for these guys because I think 1 out 10 make it. The ratio is probably worse than that. In addition free agency has completely changed the game and a team can fill in pieces with those types of players if need be. I do think there will be a time in the future where the sox will fail and then sell off there parts to rebuild. At that time I will look to folks like yourself and the futuresox people to determine if we are getting good value for our major league players we are trading. Right now though I am thinking pennant race and world series.

I don't really understand why you keep posting this when he's not even struggling right now. He's been pounding the s*** out of the ball and in turn his numbers have begun to skyrocket a .333 BA for the month of July is pretty damn good and it's gotten his overall average up to .192. He hasn't "struggled" for quite a while.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
I don't really understand why you keep posting this when he's not even struggling right now. He's been pounding the s*** out of the ball and in turn his numbers have begun to skyrocket a .333 BA for the month of July is pretty damn good and it's gotten his overall average up to .192. He hasn't "struggled" for quite a while.

keep posting what? I am responding to a trade thread. What part are you having an issue with? The part that says I don't want to trade him? the part that said I think he needs to bat 250 from here on out? The part that says he is better defensively than rowand? The part when I stated he will win a gold glove? The only thing remotely negative to what I stated, apparently repeatedly, is that I would like to see him hit 250 and I don't think we will win this thing with a 200 hitter in centerfield. I believe in all these statements.

Your right he is batting much better. Hope he keeps it up, if he batted like this earlier than we wouldn't be talking about any of this. again I didn't bring up this rumor, and its just a rumor, and this is a internet board that discusses bulls*** like this.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
Brian is hitting .333 in July.

I think that's picking it up.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
Brian Anderson is hitting about .270 over the past month as well as .333 in July with an .840 OPS.

He is hitting right now and has been for quite some time now.

His July stats are great, but that's about 4 full games worth. And he's been good over the last month, too, but it seems kind of arbitrary to throw out the rest of June, when he was terrible. Just trying to keep it in context -- as I've said, I think he'll hit well enough from here out.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)

None of this really surprises me, so I'm not sure how you're correcting me. All I said was that you don't seem to believe that minor league hitting stats translate well to the pros, which I disagree with.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
His July stats are great, but that's about 4 full games worth. And he's been good over the last month, too, but it seems kind of arbitrary to throw out the rest of June, when he was terrible. Just trying to keep it in context -- as I've said, I think he'll hit well enough from here out.

None of this really surprises me, so I'm not sure how you're correcting me. All I said was that you don't seem to believe that minor league hitting stats translate well to the pros, which I disagree with.

cool. I hope your right.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
I thought we were talking about pitching. Andersen is very good defensively but not ready this year.Thats not bad just factual. I think you need a better than 200 hitter in center field if you want to win this thing. Doesn't mean we can't keep andersen, just means maybe we might want to get somebody better for the next two months. In addition, I do think if we can get schmidt without giving up andersen or mcarthy we should damn right do it. Our starting pitching has not been good and maybe its because we pitched alot of innings last year, who knows, but schmidt would be nice to have.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)

This post makes it sound like he's still struggling as we get closer to the trade deadline and it's making for tough decisions for KW. As does the next quote

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:26 PM)
not sure I understand, but this is a trade thread talking about a rumor.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
keep posting what? I am responding to a trade thread. What part are you having an issue with? The part that says I don't want to trade him? the part that said I think he needs to bat 250 from here on out? The part that says he is better defensively than rowand? The part when I stated he will win a gold glove? The only thing remotely negative to what I stated, apparently repeatedly, is that I would like to see him hit 250 and I don't think we will win this thing with a 200 hitter in centerfield. I believe in all these statements.

Your right he is batting much better. Hope he keeps it up, if he batted like this earlier than we wouldn't be talking about any of this. again I didn't bring up this rumor, and its just a rumor, and this is a internet board that discusses bulls*** like this.

No need to get defensive. The way you word your posts it sounds like he's still struggling to hit major league hitting at this point in time, which just isn't true. It seems that over the past month it has finally clicked for him and he's now turned it around.

It may be more of the general feeling around Anderson where people look at his .192 batting average and just assume that he's still hitting like s*** when that is just not the case. Not saying you're doing that per se but it's just the tone that most Sox fans seem to take when talking about him. After Uribe got hot and lifted his batting average it seemed people just forgot about how bad he had been, now Brian has hit his stride and is getting all his numbers up and yet you still here similar talk to what you did before. The fact of the matter is, he has been hitting at a very reasonable pace for quite a while now, no matter what his overall numbers say.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
This post makes it sound like he's still struggling as we get closer to the trade deadline and it's making for tough decisions for KW. As does the next quote

No need to get defensive. The way you word your posts it sounds like he's still struggling to hit major league hitting at this point in time, which just isn't true. It seems that over the past month it has finally clicked for him and he's now turned it around.

It may be more of the general feeling around Anderson where people look at his .192 batting average and just assume that he's still hitting like s*** when that is just not the case. Not saying you're doing that per se but it's just the tone that most Sox fans seem to take when talking about him. After Uribe got hot and lifted his batting average it seemed people just forgot about how bad he had been, now Brian has hit his stride and is getting all his numbers up and yet you still here similar talk to what you did before. The fact of the matter is, he has been hitting at a very reasonable pace for quite a while now, no matter what his overall numbers say.

Got it, completely understand how you would get that opinion. I hope the kid continues to hit well. We need him, in fact I think he should just play every damn day, and keep mackoviak on the bench or fill in for pods later in a game. Andersens defense is so much better than Macko's that its definetly missed when he is not playing. i say you just play him all the time for the rest of this month. IF HE DOESN"T COME THROUGH (hit 250, with good at bats in that time frame) then you make a move, but getting back to the thread, you don't trade him or Mcarthy for Schmidt. I want schmidt but not for those players. Took way too many posts, but that is my point. Use other prospects to get him.

Secondary note: if they are looking for a starter could it be that maybe one of there starters isn't feeling too good right now?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
Good points by everyone on BA, i was surprised that I didnt get ripped apart for my comments on AROW and bA>

Someone else said it best, but we aren't losing games because we have Brian instead of Aaron.

Secondary note: if they are looking for a starter could it be that maybe one of there starters isn't feeling too good right now?

As we discussed yesterday, yes I personally believe this is exactly what's going on.

Edited by JimH