Rowand coming back???

wilmot825

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)
A guy like that is a possibility, he was DFA'd by Baltimore.

The question comes down to this, would any addition to the team add more than Gload does? That's what Guillen and KW have to answer. Another factor, although people like to dismiss this, is Gload is extremely popular in the clubhouse.

So to me, it'd have to be a clear upgrade if they're thinking about bumping Gload off the roster. Gload doesn't play much but he's earned his stripes this year, he has done well in limited opportunities and he definitely has value.

It's a catch 22. They have to decide whether to stand pat or not. Neither scenario is perfect because you'd like to have better late inning OF defense but they also like what Gload adds to the team.

Difficult decision.

Plus, aside from his baserunning blunder that led to the game going 19 innings, he's been doing pretty darn good since getting more playing time. He's probably our best pinch hitter off the bench (although Cintron is pretty damn good and Ozuna has his spots as well) but Gload is a damn fine hitter. Although I would be the first to say he's in a tough spot considering we have thome and Konerko ahead of him.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
Plus, aside from his baserunning blunder that led to the game going 19 innings, he's been doing pretty darn good since getting more playing time. He's probably our best pinch hitter off the bench (although Cintron is pretty damn good and Ozuna has his spots as well) but Gload is a damn fine hitter. Although I would be the first to say he's in a tough spot considering we have thome and Konerko ahead of him.

Pinch hitting this season:

Mack: 5-10, HR, 1.415 OPS

Ozuna: 2-5, HR, 1.400 OPS

Gload: 2-10, .500 OPS

Cintron: 1-6, .452 OPS

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)

How exactly did Gload's baserunning blunder lead to it going 19 innings? If he had tagged up properly, he'd have scored 1 batter earlier, and then Cintron's ground ball would have happened with no one at third. Unless Dye was of course able to fix his baserunning blunders on the same play, which came even closer to costing us the game.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
No I'm not saying that some kid on a message board knows more than them. (I'm 25, by the way) I am saying that Kenny Williams has been wrong before in regards to talent evaluation, which is something people like yourself conveniently ignore when you assure the rest of us that Brian Anderson will pan out, because, gosh darn it, Kenny says he will.

Kind of funny, in KW's "regime," when it comes to losing talent, I can think of 2 trades - one short-term and one long-term - which hurt the Sox. The short-term deal is of course Foulke, Johnson, and Valentine for Koch, Cotts, and Holt...Foulke was outstanding for Oakland in his 1 season in the bay, and Koch was horrendous here, and one could argue that move cost the Sox the division that year; of course, the Sox did get a vital part of the bullpen in Cotts in that deal, so it has worked out long-term. The long-term deal that has worked against the Sox is the second Carl Everett deal, a deal in which the Sox gave up Jon Rauch and Gary Majewski, both of whom have turned into pretty solid relievers for a s***ty Nationals team.

Other than those two deals, I really can't think of a deal that has really hurt the Sox as far as losing talent is concerned. I think KW has a pretty good idea of who will translate and who will not translate well to the majors. What he gets back has not always turned out well(Koch, Clayton, Ritchie, Wells to an extent, and perhaps Vazquez somewhere down the line), but he's never really given up anything of value aside from those two previously mentioned.

QUOTE(rowand @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
ARow does not blow. He is a great fielder, above average hitter, and great guy. I wouldn't go after him this year, but let Pods go next season and plug him into left. He can bat leadoff, but then again we would be far too right handed of a lineup with AJ and THome as our only starting Lefties.

With a name like Rowands Rowdies, you would think you would know a little bit about the guy. His OBP is horrific for a lead off hitter. Also, the guy was figured out in the AL. He has a hole in his swing. And Anderson, at this point, is better.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
With a name like Rowands Rowdies, you would think you would know a little bit about the guy. His OBP is horrific for a lead off hitter. Also, the guy was figured out in the AL. He has a hole in his swing. And Anderson, at this point, is better.

i love rowand... but anderson is getting his s*** together, and no matter how badly he has pitched, vazquez is valuable to this team.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 03:01 PM)
i love rowand... but anderson is getting his s*** together, and no matter how badly he has pitched, vazquez is valuable to this team.

Yeah Anderson is good. I definitley believe he'll be okay.

Vazquez... I don't know. He had some good games earlier in the year vs some crappy teams, but lately he's just been getting hammered. For some reason I have the feeling that he's not going to work out, at least not to the standards that the team had for him. Hopefully though he can start giving us some quality starts because he f***ing sucks.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
And Anderson, at this point, is better.

The Anderson who is still hitting below the Mendoza Line is not a better option than Rowand "at this point." Agreed that he has higher upside and will probably be a better player with time, though.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
What do you mean?

I mean I think Rob Mackowiak was a mistake. In my view, he is pretty much the exact same player as Ross Gload, except the Pirates sucked so they allowed Rob to play more positions than we allowed Ross to play. I would have rather dealt Damaso (since apparently we couldn't keep him here because of his attitude) for something else, rather than for a clone of Gload.

To be honest with you, I cringe everytime Rob is in the lineup instead of Brian.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
The Anderson who is still hitting below the Mendoza Line is not a better option than Rowand "at this point." Agreed that he has higher upside and will probably be a better player with time, though.

The Rowand who hit .223 in June and .185 in July so far? Or the Anderson that hit .196 in June and 333 in July so far?

Anderson is playing significantly better than Rowand is right now. Then again, I was never as high on Row as most, and I fully believe Jason could strike him out low and away.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
I mean I think Rob Mackowiak was a mistake. In my view, he is pretty much the exact same player as Ross Gload, except the Pirates sucked so they allowed Rob to play more positions than we allowed Ross to play. I would have rather dealt Damaso (since apparently we couldn't keep him here because of his attitude) for something else, rather than for a clone of Gload.

To be honest with you, I cringe everytime Rob is in the lineup instead of Brian.

He's batting .309 with a .396 OBP...he provides a great back up for LF/RF and almost the entire IF. He just isn't a CF, although Ozzie keeps putting him there. Ross Gload couldn't play LF or RF decently if his life depended on it, and he certainly couldn't even attempt to play 3B or 2B. What in the hell kind of comparison is that?

Does anyone else feel the same as this guy?

I think Rob has been a great addition to the club. I honestly can't see why anyone would think otherwise, unless they're saying so because Ozzie is playing him out of place.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
He's batting .309 with a .396 OBP...he provides a great back up for LF/RF and almost the entire IF. He just isn't a CF, although Ozzie keeps putting him there. Ross Gload couldn't play LF or RF decently if his life depended on it, and he certainly couldn't even attempt to play 3B or 2B. What in the hell kind of comparison is that?

I think Rob has been a great addition to the club. I honestly can't see why anyone would think otherwise, unless they're saying so because Ozzie is playing him out of place.

Rob has been very good, just misplayed. He was suppose to be a super sub in the outfield and infield. he is not a center fielder but he is forced to play there. Lets hope this gets fixed. Rob is a much better Utility player than centerfielder.

I think Gload would be just as capable in the OF if he got consistent time there.

I think we saw the other day that Rob cannot play third base very effectively.

Gload is hitting .295 with a .373 OBP. Not a big difference given their respective amount of at bats.

I just think adding Rob to the team was redundant, especially considering we gave away a solid LH bullpen arm.

Don't mistake me for saying we should have kept Damaso.

I was just never happy with what we got in return.

No. You are right on though. Unfortunately he's been put into a position to play in CF where his weaknesses are exposed. He plays a very solid corner OF and has good success at 2nd and 3rd although his lack of playing the IF for us showed a week or 2 ago when he played for Crede.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
I think Gload would be just as capable in the OF if he got consistent time there.

I think we saw the other day that Rob cannot play third base very effectively.

Gload is hitting .295 with a .373 OBP. Not a big difference given their respective amount of at bats.

I just think adding Rob to the team was redundant, especially considering we gave away a solid LH bullpen arm.

Don't mistake me for saying we should have kept Damaso.

I was just never happy with what we got in return.

That's so wrong.

And about playing 3B, the guy hadn't gotten any time there in weeks, maybe months. He wasn't just going to suddenly go in there and play stellar defense when he hadn't had any time there in a while.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
That's so wrong.

And about playing 3B, the guy hadn't gotten any time there in weeks, maybe months. He wasn't just going to suddenly go in there and play stellar defense when he hadn't had any time there in a while.

Ok, so I will admit that Mackowiak is a slightly better OF. He is slightly below average, while Gload is below average.

Was that really worth one of the better left-handed bullpen arms in recent years?

I just don't understand why we continue to pass over Gload for guys that are equally wart-ridden.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
Ok, so I will admit that Mackowiak is a slightly better OF. He is slightly below average, while Gload is below average.

Was that really worth one of the better left-handed bullpen arms in recent years?

I just don't understand why we continue to pass over Gload for guys that are equally wart-ridden.

No, he's not slightly better. Ross Gload is a very poor outfielder, and Mackowiak is actually a pretty good corner outfielder.

And yes, it really was worth one of the "better" left-handed bullpen arms in recent years. Damaso Marte is still garbage, don't let his ERA fool you. His ERA was saved last year by all of the good relievers cleaning up his messes. He walks a ridiculous amount of hitters, and his WHIP still looks pretty bad to me.

We continue to pass over Gload because he clearly isn't what the organization feels is what is needed. Gload is such a fringe major leaguer, while Mackowiak is one of the best utility players in baseball. That is a reason he was passed over. Mackowiak can do a lot, whereas Gload can do very little (and he offers no power at a power position).

Gload is so useless in comparison to Mackowiak. I cannot understand how someone could believe otherwise.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)

Mackowiak's ability to play 7 friggin positions makes him more valuable than a headcase lefty who has already been replaced exceptionally well by Matt Thornton.

The fact that Gload throws left-handed probably doesn't help his chances when it comes to playing in the infield. God is nasty sometimes, and Gload is cursed with throwing with his left hand.

Of course, if he could throw it 95 with below average breaking stuff, he would be blessed to throw with his left hand. Such is life.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
No, he's not slightly better. Ross Gload is a very poor outfielder, and Mackowiak is actually a pretty good corner outfielder.

And yes, it really was worth one of the "better" left-handed bullpen arms in recent years. Damaso Marte is still garbage, don't let his ERA fool you. His ERA was saved last year by all of the good relievers cleaning up his messes. He walks a ridiculous amount of hitters, and his WHIP still looks pretty bad to me.

We continue to pass over Gload because he clearly isn't what the organization feels is what is needed. Gload is such a fringe major leaguer, while Mackowiak is one of the best utility players in baseball. That is a reason he was passed over. Mackowiak can do a lot, whereas Gload can do very little (and he offers no power at a power position).

Gload is so useless in comparison to Mackowiak. I cannot understand how someone could believe otherwise.

How would you even know about Ross, we have never given him a chance.

The one year we did, in 04', Gload posted an .854 OPS, something Rob has never even approached until this season.

If Gload is a fringe player, and Mackowiak is one of the best utility players in baseball, I submit that the only f***ing difference is playing time. With Mackowiak coming from the Pirates, he received that. Gload, actually being on a good team, did not.

As for Damaso Marte being garbage, he has a 3.17 ERA. Clearly you don't mean to suggest that he has been the recipient of an otherworldly number of good relievers cleaning up for him for the past FIVE YEARS, including this year, in which he has a 2.97 ERA. Idiot or not, Damaso has a damn good arm.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
How would you even know about Ross, we have never given him a chance.

The one year we did, in 04', Gload posted an .854 OPS, something Rob has never even approached until this season.

If Gload is a fringe player, and Mackowiak is one of the best utility players in baseball, I submit that the only f***ing difference is playing time. With Mackowiak coming from the Pirates, he received that. Gload, actually being on a good team, did not.

As for Damaso Marte being garbage, he has a 3.17 ERA. Clearly you don't mean to suggest that he has been the recipient of an otherworldly number of good relievers cleaning up for him for the past FIVE YEARS, including this year, in which he has a 2.97 ERA. Idiot or not, Damaso has a damn good arm.

And he was useless to us, and I doubt many teams wanted anything to do with him if "all" we could get for him was s***ty Rob Mackowiak.

Everyone on this board will tell you that Mackowiak is better than Gload in just about every facet of the game.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)

He has a good arm but he does suck now and he would have got his ass handed to him in Chicago. Also, consider the fact that Ozzie was afraid to use him in Chicago because he got booed like no other, there was no way we could keep him around. He was fantastic in his first two years here and decent his 3rd year but last year he was just horrendous. That was a very productive trade considering we got one of the better bench players around plus Thornton>>>>>>>>>>>>Damaso, Neal>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Damaso.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
Mackowiak's ability to play 7 friggin positions makes him more valuable than a headcase lefty who has already been replaced exceptionally well by Matt Thornton.

The fact that Gload throws left-handed probably doesn't help his chances when it comes to playing in the infield. God is nasty sometimes, and Gload is cursed with throwing with his left hand.

Of course, if he could throw it 95 with below average breaking stuff, he would be blessed to throw with his left hand. Such is life.

Just because one has played 7 positions does not mean he plays them well. Let's remember folks, this is not Chone Figgins playing all over the field for the Angels (actually a good team). This is a guy who played all over the field for the Pirates, who have sucked balls for close to 15 years now.

Rob is an average player. Just like Gload would be if given the chance.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
Just because one has played 7 positions does not mean he plays them well. Let's remember folks, this is not Chone Figgins playing all over the field for the Angels (actually a good team). This is a guy who played all over the field for the Pirates, who have sucked balls for close to 15 years now.

Rob is an average player. Just like Gload would be if given the chance.

You're wrong. You're just wrong.

You can use stats or your own eyes, and both will tell you that Mackowiak is better than Gload.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
And he was useless to us, and I doubt many teams wanted anything to do with him if "all" we could get for him was s***ty Rob Mackowiak.

Everyone on this board will tell you that Mackowiak is better than Gload in just about every facet of the game.

Simply because he could not stay here does not mean we needed to trade him for a player we already pretty much had.

And he sucks now? He's having a fine year in Pittsburgh if you ask me, and the Pirates will probably more back than a bench player when they trade him in two weeks.

Once again, this is not an "I hate Rob" thread. But take off the local boy glasses and objectively look at it.