Shingo Misses Chicago, Loves Guillen

Gregory Pratt

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Shingo Takatsu wishes he were still in Chicago. Instead the White Sox's closer in 2004 and part of 2005 is back in Japan with his old team, the Tokyo Yakult Swallows, pitching mostly middle relief.

"It is a little difficult to find my role on the team," he said.

Takatsu misses Ozzie Guillen—"I love Ozzie"—and the American strike zone—"It's tighter in Japan."

Takatsu converted 19 of 20 save opportunities in 2004 but struggled the next year and was released in July 2005. But the Sox sent him a World Series ring anyway.

"I really appreciated that and was honored," he said. Speaking quietly in the Swallows' clubhouse, Takatsu, 37, confided, "I cannot say this in a loud voice, but I would like to come back to Chicago."

We've found our solution to Cliff Politte.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

We've found our solution to Cliff Politte.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind IF he were to get his s*** together if we signed him to a minor league deal and had him join his compatriot Hideo down in Charlotte. I don't buy the notion that "the league figured him out." I think his problems are mental, and if he ever were to figure them out, I would love to have him again.

Funny he mentions the American strike zone, because he seemed to forget where it was. It wasn't the league cracking Shingo's code at all.

Still, Shingomania was a good time in an otherwise disappointing 2004 campaign, and he was such a nice guy who was just happy to be here.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
Nomo was released about a month ago.

Hmm, well, I suppose Shingo would just have to count on meeting up with Tadahito in the City for sushi. They could alternate between Chicago and Arlington Heights.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
Hmm, well, I suppose Shingo would just have to count on meeting up with Tadahito in the City for sushi. They could alternate between Chicago and Arlington Heights.

Shingo was the main reason Tadahito joined the sox if you didn't remember. ;)

Best Shingo memory, game 2 of Cubs/Sox at the Cell, 2004. Brought in to get Sammy Sosa for the third out in the 8th.

Strike three was a frisbee change-up that Sosa swung through before it even cleared the infield grass.

Shingo was AWESOME! I was SO heartbroken to see him struggle in '05. I knew after that post-ASB Cleveland series he was history when you could see Don Cooper just shaking his head in the dugout while Shingo blew the save.

I'd love to see him back but I don't see it happening. Either he lost his stuff or batters figured him out. Then again, maybe pitching that tight strike zone over there re-sharpened him.

But that was a class, class thing to do, for the Sox to send him a ring. Nice!