Garcia/Garland to the mets?

beautox

Olney was just on cold pizza this morning saying the white sox were talking of trading Jon Garland or Freddy Garcia to the mets for middle relief. Now honestly that sounds crazy, starting pitching is at a premium in MLB. Garcia has a club option for '07 and Garland is locked up till '09 and has a no trade clause this year. So unless we're getting Milledge + Bradford/Oliver back, i don't see it happening. There was a recent article on white sox.com saying KW is in a "holding pattern", and that aside from a 6th man in the pen our roster is set. Its pretty apparent that the mets outside of Glavine and Pedro(DL) don't have a 3-5th starter and while they will make the post season, they will get decimated by Houston.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
This Garcia/Vaz to the Mets definitely seems to have some validity to it.

Its on MLBTradeRumors. Consider it dead.

That being said, I'd love this sort of deal :)

1.) We already have a 5 page thread on this

2.) Olney, despite being a graduate from my proud school, must not have learned how to read, because in his Blog he paraphrases the article on the Ny paper, and says garcia or garland, when the article says garcia or vazquez

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
This Garcia/Vaz to the Mets definitely seems to have some validity to it.

If it gets BMAC into the rotation, I am all for it. I think he can do a better job than either of them right now. Garcia is hardly hitting the upper 80s, and Vazquez current is a headcase with good stuff. Bmac has the tools, and more importantly the stones.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
Between what Mark Gonzalez is saying, Ken Rosenthal is saying, and now Buster Olney is saying, Vazquez is not being shopped, but Garcia definetely is.

Well maybe Freddy's antics at the Bosox series and showing up his teamates pushed this over the edge. That and his new style of pitching. If he isnt hurt and just decided not to throw hard, KW has to be pulling his hair out. Its like if Bobby Jenks just decided that 98 was too hard, so he would cruise it in there at 92 just for the hell of it.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
Well maybe Freddy's antics at the Bosox series and showing up his teamates pushed this over the edge. That and his new style of pitching. If he isnt hurt and just decided not to throw hard, KW has to be pulling his hair out. Its like if Bobby Jenks just decided that 98 was too hard, so he would cruise it in there at 92 just for the hell of it.

I think you are right. His antics the Boston series, showing up Iguchi, lost velocity, the alledged positive marijuana test at the WBC, and the fact that KW gave up a guy he had on his "3 year board" for Vazquez, would indicate to me that he would be reluctant to pull the plug on Vazquez after 3 months. If the Sox trade a starter, I would imagine it would be Garcia that KW would prefer to move. I wonder how much more than Gordon KW wants from Philadelphia.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
Maybe it's just me, but neither Duaner Sanchez or Heilman thrill me. The sox sure could do better than either for giving up the best SP available in this market.

yeah i agree with you...i think they can do better

Aside from an "elite" reliever which i don't truly see the need for, our bullpen is good, not amazing, but real good. Take out Politte and add up everyone's ERAs + WHIP and you come up with this. If we get Hermanson to come back with a career average year we're golden, and do you truly think McCarthy is going to have a 4.25 ERA all season? i don't.

McCarthy 4.25ERA 1.23WHIP *including game start

Hermanson 4.21ERA 1.36WHIP *career average year

Thornton 3.13ERA 1.20WHIP

Cotts 2.95ERA 1.09WHIP

Riske 2.75ERA 1.20WHIP

Jenks 2.53ERA 1.11WHIP

= 3.30ERA 1.19WHIP

So just from looking at this it, and the fact that we've got SP depth, the white sox are in the drivers seat and unless we get milledge or something of that nature from the mets i don't see the need to deal. I can understand the mets not wanting to give up milledge for Zito for 3 months of service, but with Garcia you've got 3 months and a club opition for next year, and with Vazquez you've got him till '09.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
I think you are right. His antics the Boston series, showing up Iguchi, lost velocity, the alledged positive marijuana test at the WBC, and the fact that KW gave up a guy he had on his "3 year board" for Vazquez, would indicate to me that he would be reluctant to pull the plug on Vazquez after 3 months. If the Sox trade a starter, I would imagine it would be Garcia that KW would prefer to move. I wonder how much more than Gordon KW wants from Philadelphia.

It's interesting because I can't imagine that being Ozzie's preference. By putting him only behind Contreras and Buehrle in the 2nd half starting rotation, Ozzie still probably considers Garcia our 3rd best pitcher, ahead of both Garland and Vazquez.

Personally, I'm not too impressed with Vazquez's stuff or his approach. Garcia's not the same pitcher he once was, but as Hawk likes to say, "he will compete." That has some value in my book, and as we've seen, he can still have the occasional great game. If the Sox were in a must win situation in the playoffs or even at the end of the season, I would much rather have Garcia start that game than Vazquez.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)

So many more reasons to get rid of Garcia. He really should be the one to go. As frustrated as I am with Vazquez, his pure stuff is still there.

I just hope that they get a lot for Garcia.

If we trade Vazquez I am going to be royally pissed off. Javy is going to be great for us.

I would hate to see Freddy go as well, because up until this year he was the one guy I wanted out on the mound in a big game, but it appears as if he isn't that guy anymore. I sure hope he is though.

I don't really see a point in this trade. I like the team we've got right now. Cotts/Thornton/Jenks is all that will matter in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Omar Minaya wouldn't do that trade.

Well then he's going to go into the playoffs with a battered Pedro Martinez, an old Tom Glavine, and barely anyone else behind him.

It's not like the Mets are in a position of power here. The White Sox are. You saw what the Reds did yesterday to acquire needs, the Mets and Omar Minaya certainly will do the same.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
Well then he's going to go into the playoffs with a battered Pedro Martinez, an old Tom Glavine, and barely anyone else behind him.

It's not like the Mets are in a position of power here. The White Sox are. You saw what the Reds did yesterday to acquire needs, the Mets and Omar Minaya certainly will do the same.

I'm agreeing with redandwhite :o

I really like your thinking and hope KW pushes this idea right until the deadline and forces the deal out of Minaya. It's a long shot, but if I was KW, the only way the deal gets done is if Milledge.