Idea: Myers and Flash (Not a rumor) thoughts?

CWSOX45

THIS IS NOT A RUMOR, I WAS THINKING ABOUT THIS POSSIBLE DEAL AT WORK THE OTHER DAY. (yeah it was that slow)

Just out of curiousity, do you think we could pry Brett Myers away from the Phillies along with Flash Gordon? I understand that once again gives us 6 starters, however Kenny was quoted a couple days ago saying that his plan was to have six starting pitchers the entire season.

I also think that the Phillies would be willing to part ways with him fairly easily considering the altercation between he and his wife in Boston.

Thoughts on this?

QUOTE(bighurt574 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
Should the Sox care about the altercation any less than the Phillies?

Yes, they should. This is a baseball team, not a church group. I like the idea of going after alot of talented undervalued guys because of perceived character flaws or whatever. As long as Myers is a good teammate, if his incident with his wife has devalued him in Philly to where we could get him at a bargain price, then it should be explored.

I think Jerry Reinsdorf especially is open to the idea of giving some guys with character flaws another chance and a change of scenery if they can help the club win. Look at Rodman, Everett, Jenks, Pierzynski, etc. The organization has no issue with giving a guy another chance if he can be a good teammate and can perform on the field.

What were you thinking we would send back in exchange for Gordon and Meyers?

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
Myers punched his wife in the face. If he ever gets on the Sox, I'll be sickened.

True. However we have taken chances on guys with troubled pasts. Our closer is one of those guys...then again I don't remember Bobby ever punching his wife/gf in the face.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
True. However we have taken chances on guys with troubled pasts. Our closer is one of those guys...then again I don't remember Bobby ever punching his wife/gf in the face.

There's a bit of a difference between having trouble with substances and punching your wife in the face. A huge difference.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
There's a bit of a difference between having trouble with substances and punching your wife in the face. A huge difference.

I agree that what he did was absolutely unacceptable.

However, the man will continue to pitch and will continue to make his living in this game. People will forget about this, and some team will take a chance on his relatively impressive ability to throw a baseball. I don't understand why the White Sox have to be on a moral crusade. Their job is to win baseball games.

Brett Myers was arrested in Boston last night for allegedly striking his wife. The couple were walking back to their hotel from a bar when a dispute broke out just blocks from Fenway Park. The incident occurred just after midnight and appears pretty gruesome. Here are the details from the Boston Globe:

Myers' wife, told police she believed her husband hit her twice in the face with a closed fist. Witnesses told police Myers dragged his wife by the hair and slapped her across the face. Procopio said it is unclear if Myers punched his wife or slapped her, but he did strike her in the face.

Courtney Knight, 26, who witnessed the alleged attack, said in an interview today that Myers was out of control.

"It was disgusting," Knight said. "He was dragging her by the hair and slapping her across the face. She was yelling, 'I'm not going to let you do this to me anymore.' "

Knight said the 6-foot-4 ballplayer dwarfs his wife, who she estimated to be 5 foot 2 and 100 pounds.

"She's a real small girl," Knight said. "It was awful."

Myers allegedly told Knight and her friends to leave and resisted when they tried to pull him off of his wife, prompting Knight to call police.

She said Myers was undeterred by the presence of her group of friends.

"He had her on the ground. He was trying to get her to go, and she was resisting," Knight said. "She curled up and sat on the ground. He was pulling her, her shirt up was around her neck....He could have cared less that we were there."

Knight said the player appeared to be fighting with his wife because he wanted to return to their hotel and she did not.

This is not a guy any team should want on his roster. I don't care if he throws the ball 150 MPH.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
Brett Myers was arrested in Boston last night for allegedly striking his wife. The couple were walking back to their hotel from a bar when a dispute broke out just blocks from Fenway Park. The incident occurred just after midnight and appears pretty gruesome. Here are the details from the Boston Globe:

Myers' wife, told police she believed her husband hit her twice in the face with a closed fist. Witnesses told police Myers dragged his wife by the hair and slapped her across the face. Procopio said it is unclear if Myers punched his wife or slapped her, but he did strike her in the face.

Courtney Knight, 26, who witnessed the alleged attack, said in an interview today that Myers was out of control.

"It was disgusting," Knight said. "He was dragging her by the hair and slapping her across the face. She was yelling, 'I'm not going to let you do this to me anymore.' "

Knight said the 6-foot-4 ballplayer dwarfs his wife, who she estimated to be 5 foot 2 and 100 pounds.

Myers allegedly told Knight and her friends to leave and resisted when they tried to pull him off of his wife, prompting Knight to call police.

"He had her on the ground. He was trying to get her to go, and she was resisting," Knight said. "She curled up and sat on the ground. He was pulling her, her shirt up was around her neck....He could have cared less that we were there."

Knight said the player appeared to be fighting with his wife because he wanted to return to their hotel and she did not.

This is not a guy any team should want on his roster. I don't care if he throws the ball 150 MPH.

Wow, I didn't realize it was this horrible.

Some people are just a little too crazy.

I suppose it would be in our best interests to take a pass on him.

The especially disturbing part is where she says "I'm not going to let you do this to me anymore."

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
While we're at it, let's just bring Sammy Sosa back too... the Chicago Ike Turners shall be our new name.

Theres a difference, Myers is actually talented. Sosa was a no talent ass clown that was on roids and just swung the bat as hard as he could. That and Sosa used a rum bottle.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)

:o Wow holy s***. I didn't realize it was that bad...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
Here's the question we're all answering without actually saying so:

We've been willing to take chances on guys with rumored behavior issues before. Is there a line we're not willing to cross in terms of bad behavior?

I would say so.

I had no idea the situation was how it was until DA posted that article. I thought he just slapped his wife or something. By no means is that acceptable either, but this article makes his sound like an absolute monster. We don't need freaks like that on this team.

It is one thing to be a little out there. It's another thing to beat your wife. In the past, we have taken chances on talented "problem" players because our mid-market payroll forced us to do so to be competitive. No longer do we really have that excuse.

We've been willing to take chances on guys with rumored behavior issues before. Is there a line we're not willing to cross in terms of bad behavior?

I think there is a line. What that is, I don't know. For instance, I doubt the Sox would be interested in someone convicted of a hate crime. I just think this incident is over the top ugly and out of line. Wife-beating should not be tolerated or brushed aside just because a guy has an ability to throw a baseball others can't hit very well.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
I think there is a line. What that is, I don't know. For instance, I doubt the Sox would be interested in someone convicted of a hate crime. I just think this incident is over the top ugly and out of line. Wife-beating should not be tolerated or brushed aside just because a guy has an ability to throw a baseball others can't hit very well.

In no way should it be tolerated, but you know that someone out there in need of pitching is going to realize they can get this guy for cheap.

In all honesty I don't know how I would feel if the Sox did happen to acquire him, from a baseball standpoint I'd be happy with the move, however by a moral standpoint I'd be sickened. I honestly had no idea about the magnitude of the situation involving Myers and his wife.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)

I'm aware, but didn't Bobby also use to burn himself? I thought there was also a history of physical violence too. Maybe not.

Unless the Phillies wanna dump Meyers because of his attitude, your gonna have to give a ton up to get him.

Gordon you'll probably have to give Garcia. which im fine with.

So the question with Myers is, do you look past the fact that the guy is a wife beater for his real good pitching?

its a moral thing.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
Unless the Phillies wanna dump Meyers because of his attitude, your gonna have to give a ton up to get him.

So the question with Myers is, do you look past the fact that the guy is a wife beater for his real good pitching?

its a moral thing.

If its a moral thing the answer is a "hell no" I'm just interested to see where he'll end up, because I know some team that is desperate for pitching will ignore that fact.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
In no way should it be tolerated, but you know that someone out there in need of pitching is going to realize they can get this guy for cheap.

In all honesty I don't know how I would feel if the Sox did happen to acquire him, from a baseball standpoint I'd be happy with the move, however by a moral standpoint I'd be sickened. I honestly had no idea about the magnitude of the situation involving Myers and his wife.

I'm aware, but didn't Bobby also use to burn himself? I thought there was also a history of physical violence too. Maybe not.

Who knows in terms of Bobby. He supposedly admitted to doing it back in 03', but then does not admit to it now. He definetely had his issues. But I think Bobby gets a pass because of the conditions in which he was raised. I am not familiar with Myers' upbringing, but there is no excuse for what he did. And despite how strange self-mutilation is, it isn't beating your wife.

Wil Cordero, Carl Everett, Roberto Alomar, Jose Paniagua, anyone?

Hopefully the Sox are turning over a new leaf in terms of bringing in players with attitude problems, but I would have to say that line has been repeatedly crossed by the Sox. However, bringing in brett myers so soon after this incident is ludicrous, its a lightning rod for criticism. Myers would have to be an ace to survive the media onslaught, and I dont think he is that good.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)

its a moral thing.

I guess they don't hire scouts in Philadelphia, and instead trade for players based off of reputation alone.

I would venture to guess Philly knows Freddy's velocity is gone, and that he is gone after 2007 anyways. Why would they give up Flash for that?

They want Fields, Sweeney, Lumsden...that's who Philly wants. If that's what it costs, KW needs to look elsewhere. Those 3 are expendable to a certain extent, but a setup guy for an already pretty solid pen is not a necessity.

I would root for the team to lose on every game that Myers pitches. That man is human filth, and there's nothing else to it from my point of view. A drug problem, drinking, self-mutilating, a generally bad attitude toward people around you -- these things can be forgiven and looked past. Even some level of violence is okay. Carl Everett headbutt an umpire? Well, the Umpire was unlikely to have been that much smaller than him, and they're both males; it's a relatively fair fight, and the shot is a relatively fair shot. It's a ridiculous thing to do, but umpires are big boys.

Taking a woman who is over a foot smaller than you, punching her in the face, slapping her repeatedly, and having a history of this? No thanks. I know that having a moral guide to players might lead to some good ones getting disqualified from teams, but that's management's decision to make. I'd be stunned if we picked up a former child molester or a NeoNazi, and I'd be appalled if we picked up a guy who did this to his wife.

Hell, even a little violence could, in theory, be looked past. Everyone has feelings of frustration, and sometimes, people lose it in the heat of the moment. But in Myers case, that's clearly not the problem. He's just a sick son of a b****.