Did Buehrle turn a corner?

TLAK

After his spanking in the 3rd inning, Mark looked like the Mark of old. He threw 4 scoreless innings with pitch counts of 8, 7, 7 and 13. Thats 35 pitches, 28 were strikes. Maybe he was tipping earlier or maybe he just stopped thinking and just went back to thowing to spots with stuff. I'm going to bookmark that point of time in my memory.

It reminds of Garlands game against the Tigers in June. He gave up 6 runs in the loss but was making better pitches --he hasn't been beaten since.

Buehrle should take the positive last 4 innings with him and go get them next time.

I don't think we will know whether he turned the corner until the next start, but those last couple of innings looked promising.

I just can't believe that Buehrle leads the team in losses with 8. That is as many as Vazquez (5) and Garland (3) combined and is the same amount he had all of last year.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 08:20 AM)
Buerhle has been a major dissapointment. If he is turning the corner, it sure as hell better be now. If this team gets behind more than 6.5 games, they are toast.

Yeah, they should trade Buehrle now. Who the freak does he think he is, letting down the "fans" like this?! I say we teepee his house.

Also, no team has ever come from 6.5 back on July 22 to win; and this team definitely doesn't have the tools to do it. I'm giving away the rest of my season tickets, since there's no point even watching the Sox anymore.

Get a grip. A pitcher who has been rock-solid for half a decade goes into the worst slump of his career, and you're trashing him? Classy.

Edited by holly wiggins

QUOTE(holly wiggins @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
Yeah, they should trade Buehrle now. Who the freak does he think he is, letting down the "fans" like this?! I say we teepee his house.

Also, no team has ever come from 6.5 back on July 22 to win; and this team definitely doesn't have the tools to do it. I'm giving away the rest of my season tickets, since there's no point even watching the Sox anymore.

Get a grip. A pitcher who has been rock-solid for half a decade goes into the worst slump of his career, and you're trashing him? Classy.

Whatever his problems are he needs to man the fish up. This team feeds off of starting pitching, and Buerhle needs to get better quickly.

The only positive I took from last nights start with Buerhle, is after he got rocked he started running his cutter in on the hands of the RHs and got some Ks.

But I am not declaring he has turned the corner until he can do this for an entire game. We have another guy on the staff right now, who looks like Cy Young for 5 innings, then looks like Jimmy from the over 40 league for an inning.

QUOTE(holly wiggins @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)

Trashing Buehrle? Did you even read what you quoted? He said he's been a disappointment. How the f can that be denied? He said we need him for the stretch run. Maybe BECAUSE he's our best pitcher (at least tied for that honor), and we need our best players to perform.

But hey, I'm forgetting, you're an expert on class, telling other posters that they aren't real fans with the scare-quotes bs. Why would anyone bother to stick around here and post if they didn't really care about this team? As for "trashing" Buehrle, did you bother to look at his member group? That's not an automatically generated group, he had to ask to have it changed to that. But your mind-reading powers saw through that ruse to his true Buehrle-hating self. Great point, bravo!

I posted before that besides that one inning last night, Buerhle was impressive. Hopefully he can build on that because the White Sox desperately need him to return to form. Just because he was 1-10 or 2-10 a couple of years ago and bounced back to respectability doesn't mean he's going to go on a long winning streak this season. It was nice that he was able to pick up the pieces after the disasterous inning last night. Because he left the game with 4 or 5 good innings, it may be easier for him to build on, rather than a game where he pitched well for 4 or 5 innings, but left getting teed off on.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
I posted before that besides that one inning last night, Buerhle was impressive. Hopefully he can build on that because the White Sox desperately need him to return to form.

Sounds like Vazquez from Wednesday night.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
Sounds like Vazquez from Wednesday night.

Yeah, I posted somewhere that Buerhle has gone from a guy with a 13.00 ERA his last several starts to being Vazquez. Unfortunately for us and Buehrle and Vazquez, you don't get to throw away your bad inning. The difference between the 2 is Buerhle has a history of being a good pitcher, Vazquez has a history of having a bad inning or 2 in many of the games he pitches. The complaints about him Sox fans have are eerily similar to the complaints Yankee fans had about him a couple of years ago.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
Trashing Buehrle? Did you even read what you quoted? He said he's been a disappointment. How the f can that be denied? He said we need him for the stretch run. Maybe BECAUSE he's our best pitcher (at least tied for that honor), and we need our best players to perform.

But hey, I'm forgetting, you're an expert on class, telling other posters that they aren't real fans with the scare-quotes bs. Why would anyone bother to stick around here and post if they didn't really care about this team? As for "trashing" Buehrle, did you bother to look at his member group? That's not an automatically generated group, he had to ask to have it changed to that. But your mind-reading powers saw through that ruse to his true Buehrle-hating self. Great point, bravo!

My comment was in response to the "If he is turning the corner, it sure as hell better be now." That's insightful analysis? Supportive comment? I didn't think it read as such. The way it comes across as I read it is that Mark Buehrle needs to shape the f up right NOW! -- as if it were somehow in MB's control and power to do that immediately and he just didn't want to.

If I read it wrong, that happens, it's the internet.

The rest of your post makes no sense to me, sorry. You seem to be referencing posts I've made in the past? I don't remember what they were. If you do, frankly, that creeps me out a little bit. In fact, you seem to be bringing a lot more emotion into this than I think it warrants. How about you ignore my posts in the future and I'll ignore yours? Win/win.

Edited by holly wiggins

QUOTE(holly wiggins @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
My comment was in response to the "If he is turning the corner, it sure as hell better be now." That's insightful analysis? Supportive comment? I didn't think it read as such. The way it comes across as I read it is that Mark Buehrle needs to shape the f up right NOW! -- as if it were somehow in MB's control and power to do that immediately and he just didn't want to.

If I read it wrong, that happens, it's the internet.

The rest of your post makes no sense to me, sorry. You seem to be referencing posts I've made in the past? I don't remember what they were. If you do, frankly, that creeps me out a little bit. In fact, you seem to be bringing a lot more emotion into this than I think it warrants. How about you ignore my posts in the future and I'll ignore yours? Win/win.

It's not "supportive", b/c he's not Mark's mommy. It's just a statement of fact -- we need MB to turn it on before we slide too far. I didn't know Soxtalk was a coddling club.

But I want to assure you that I'm not referencing any posts you've made in the past. I can honestly say that I can't think of anything memorable that you've posted, ever. So, rest assured. Since you need a guide, here it is. The "scare-quotes" is in reference to the scare-quotes you used in the post I quoted. Very subtle, I know. The "class" was in reference to your use of the word "classy" in the post I quoted. "Trashing" Buehrle was in reference to your statement that GS was "trashing" Buehrle. Anything else you can't figure out? I'm afraid the Cliffs Notes will be a while.