Coco Crisp offered to the Sox?

santo=dorf

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
wouldn't it take awhile to stretch out Brandon to become a starter?

Usually, yes. But I think there's been a change in philosophy within the organization, after Rauch's troubles. True, Randy Johnson is very tall. But that doesn't, by itself, translate into success. Mike Hampton manages. I believe the new strategy is, rightly, to let the pitcher throw at his normal height. They've given up their old rack(et) -- so to speak.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
Gordon Edes: "The Sox this week offered center fielder Coco Crisp to the White Sox for left-handed All-Star Mark Buehrle, perhaps hoping that Buehrle's recent struggles might persuade White Sox GM Kenny Williams to move him. But the White Sox turned the deal down."

Podsednik and a prospect? When you get a chance pass the crack pipe.

This makes sense. I thought Theo lost his mind if he wanted Vazquez or Garcia for Crisp, or a minor leaguer, or middle reliever. I'm sure he knew there was no chance KW would say yes, but I guess he figured he might as well give it a shot.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
Gordon Edes: "The Sox this week offered center fielder Coco Crisp to the White Sox for left-handed All-Star Mark Buehrle, perhaps hoping that Buehrle's recent struggles might persuade White Sox GM Kenny Williams to move him. But the White Sox turned the deal down."

With that offer, I think you should ask Epstein before you ask us.

Ahaha. Ya Pods + Spect for Crisp = crack pipe, but Buehrle for Crisp = sane?

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This makes sense. I thought Theo lost his mind if he wanted Vazquez or Garcia for Crisp, or a minor leaguer, or middle reliever. I'm sure he knew there was no chance KW would say yes, but I guess he figured he might as well give it a shot.

Precisely. It's worth taking a shot on.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
Not necessarily a moron, but is the general manager of a desperate team.

I wouldn't go as far as saying this is a desperate team either. Sure this team needs some help but he's not going to pull a move off that will end up hurting the Sox.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't go as far as saying this is a desperate team either. Sure this team needs some help but he's not going to pull a move off that will end up hurting the Sox, not that this deal would.

He's sitting "no," there is no reason not to propose this deal even if the chance of the White Sox accepting it is slim and none.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)
He's sitting "no," there is no reason not to propose this deal even if the chance of the White Sox accepting it is slim and none.

There was no slim in the deal it was all none. But I guess no hurt in asking......

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Buster Olney did not say it was a starting pitcher, for all we know they called about Cotts, Thornton, MacDougal, Jenks or McCarthy.

It is being reported as a "starting pitcher". From ESPN Insider:

I wish I knew all the details of what the Red Sox are planning, all the tentacles, because the bits and pieces are fascinating. They offered center fielder Coco Crisp to the White Sox for a starting pitcher -- I don't know which Chicago starter was involved -- and have talked about second baseman Mark Loretta with more than one team. The latter deal makes some sense, because they have young second baseman Dustin Pedroia in the minors ready for promotion. Michael Silverman is hearing something along the same lines about Crisp, by the way.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)

So there is no reason for the White Sox not to counter offer Ross Gload for Crisp.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 07:32 PM)

What I dont understand its ok to "pass the crack pipe" to ask for Buehrle.... but not ok when we offer Pods and a prospect. If you ask me which of the 2 are most likely to happen Id say the 2nd one 100%.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 01:44 AM)
What I dont understand its ok to "pass the crack pipe" to ask for Buehrle.... but not ok when we offer Pods and a prospect. If you ask me which of the 2 are most likely to happen Id say the 2nd one 100%.

My post said basically the same thing. :cheers

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)

Especially when you look at their splits;

Crisp - .275/.328/.396

Pods - .271/.347/.394

But I'm on crack BABY!!! :D

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
Not necessarily a moron, but is the general manager of a desperate team.

Desperate how? Trading an all star pitcher, and one of the cornerstones of our rotation for years, for an ok player? We should offer Pods for Zito, thats a fair trade as well.

I wonder how hard it was for KW not to laugh.