7/31 White Sox v. Royals

Sam

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:25 PM)
Well, Rogers' era is at 4.63 now. His era is well over 10 since the break. He has a history of piching like crap after the break. How is he any less useless than Garcia and Vazquez?

Well, both at least have kept game somewhat close. If you recall, we won Garcia's last start and Jenks blew the save in Vazquez's previous start. Rogers has been much more similar to Buehrle's last few starts..

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
Well, Rogers' era is at 4.63 now. His era is well over 10 since the break. He has a history of piching like crap after the break. How is he any less useless than Garcia and Vazquez?

What are the ERA's of the 2 you are talking about? What is Vazquez's history in the AL after the break? How is Freddy's 86 mph heater going to hold up in the dog days? I've never said Rogers is great, I just said he isn't useless. He would have been a far option for KW than Javier Vazquez.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 06:23 PM)
I love Thome's approach.

He walks a ton. Homers a ton. Strikes out a ton. Most of his at-bats wind up at 3-2, and he's got no problem taking a walk if he's gotta.

Dye wouldn't be anywhere near this good this year without Thome in the lineup, IMO. This is his career year, I think.

I consider him an acceptable verison of Adam Dunn (who I think is absolute GARBAGE). I don't think you play winning baseball with these guys unless you have some good baseball players around em.

I prefer all around players and I think in general, the best teams in baseball are usually filled with those type of guys.

However, Thome is able to hit for a solid average which and since he's DH'ing he isn't playing terrible defense (like Dunn) so he's a nice part of the lineup.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)
Well, both at least have kept game somewhat close. If you recall, we won Garcia's last start and Jenks blew the save in Vazquez's previous start. Rogers has been much more similar to Buehrle's last few starts..

I'm not even sticking up for Garcia or Vazquez. I just found it funny that dickallen (one of the more pessimistic people on this site) stuck up for Rogers, who's been pitching like spiff since the break, and has a history of pitching like spiff after the break, yet has no problem at all killing our guys when they're struggling.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
I'm not even sticking up for Garcia or Vazquez. I just found it funny that dickallen (one of the more pessimistic people on this site) stuck up for Rogers, who's been pitching like spiff since the break, and has a history of pitching like spiff after the break, yet has no problem at all killing our guys when they're struggling.

got it.

Quick 1-2-3 inning for Count. He needed that and hopefully he can get a few more of those and end this game on a positive note. He hasn't been bad, he's just not pitching as agressive (throwing strikes) as he was earlier this year and for a large chunk of last year.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:29 PM)
What are the ERA's of the 2 you are talking about? What is Vazquez's history in the AL after the break? How is Freddy's 86 mph heater going to hold up in the dog days? I've never said Rogers is great, I just said he isn't useless. He would have been a far option for KW than Javier Vazquez.

His era ist at 4.63. Imagine if he pitched half his games at the Cell. He wouldn't be any better than Vazquez.

I'm just grateful we got the good Thome this season. He's been better and more consistent than I thought he would be this season. People forget how many 3 run homers he hit for us earlier in the year that gave us enough cushion to win.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)

Rogers might be pitching like spiff after the break, but he beat the White Sox after the break. He won a big game for his team.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 06:32 PM)
I'm just grateful we got the good Thome this season. He's been better and more consistent than I thought he would be this season. People forget how many 3 run homers he hit for us earlier in the year that gave us enough cushion to win.

I don't want it to sound like I don't like Thome. I just think Paulie and Dye are more valuable. Thome is a big reason why we are where we are and its not fair for me to blame a player for our own manager changing his strategy.

Just like its unfair for us to blame Mackowiak for being in CF or even hoping we'd trade for an everyday CF since it would put an end to Mack ever playing CF. Or the idea of not standing pat with our rotation and being proactive and seeing what Brandon could do. The bottom line is, we don't trade Javy at a poor value to make room for Brandon, if we like Brandon, the manager needs to make that call and try to spice things up, just like the manager needs to get his head out of his butt and play Anderson 6 games a week and just like the manager needs to try more hit and runs with guys like AJ, Guchi and even Dye.