MLB Trade Deadline Thread 7/31

AWhiteSoxinNJ

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately those Humber and Heilman pipedreams for Garcia aren't going to pan out; :crying

The Mets are in trade talks with the Astros about Roy Oswalt and the Giants regarding Jason Schmidt, according to SI.com's Jon Heyman.

GM Omar Minaya would probably have to part with Lastings Milledge in order to land either top starter. Oswalt, who is signed through 2007, could also cost the team Aaron Heilman or Brian Bannister. Schmidt, a free agent at the end of the season, would probably come a little cheaper.

I didn't know Blalock was available.

Various published reports Sunday had Blalock heading to Baltimore in a Miguel Tejada trade, to Houston in a deal for Brad Lidge, to Cleveland in a package for Jake Westbrook and to Philadelphia in exchange for Jon Lieber.

Good deal for the Royals if they can pull this off;

The Denver Post is reporting that Ryan Shealy is expected to be traded prior to Monday's 4 p.m. non-waiver trading deadline.

The Pirates and the Royals are the two favorites to land the services of Shealy with Baltimore and the Yankees also interested. The Royals are expected to be offering left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt and a minor-league prospect, while the Pirates would deal left-handed reliever John Grabow and center fielder Nate McLouth.

Bowden may be coming to his senses after all;

The L.A. Times is reporting that "baseball sources" are saying that the Nationals have lowered their asking price for Alfonso Soriano and that the Dodgers have come the closest to getting him.

The Dodgers have a very deep minor league talent pool so it wouldn't surprise us if they do wind up making a strong bid for Soriano. Any deal the Dodgers make would likely involve Ceasar Izturis who has warn out his welcome in L.A.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 11:27 PM)
If he has then I wouldn't mind seeing Kenny get back into the mix.

Pods + prospects like Broadway should definitely be back on the table.

And if you argue against trading more prospects, well consider that we'll get 2 draft picks for Alfonso if he leaves as a FA if we offer him arbitration.

Also this on the Pirates and Mets;

The Mets have reportedly discussed a deal where they would receive Roberto Hernandez and Kip Wells from the Pirates.

In exchange for Hernandez and Wells the Mets would give up Heath Bell, Anderson Hernandez and Double-A reliever Matt Lindstrom. Hernandez would immediately give the Mets' bullpen a boost while Wells would give the rotation insurance in case aging-starters Pedro Martinez or Tom Glavine need to spend time on the disabled list in the final months of the season.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
Babe Ruth Shelton got sent down???

Wasn't he the guy who was gonna hit 130 HR this year????

WHY WOULD THEY SEND DOWN THE BIGGEST SLUGGER IN THE MLB????????

Guess they gave up on looking for left handed power, and just settled for someone who hits left handed.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)
WHY WOULD THEY SEND DOWN THE BIGGEST SLUGGER IN THE MLB????????

despite him not hitting many more hr's since april he wasnt bad at all, casey bats 20 points higher but with less power....where's the upgrade? casey better defensively? wierd move if you ask me.

rotoworld:

The Houston Chronicle's Richard Justice reports that Astros owner Drayton McLane has ordered GM Tim Purpura to trade Brad Lidge.

The Rangers are the team getting mentioned in connection with Lidge, but if he has to go, there will be more interested parties, starting with the Mets and Red Sox. The Astros could turn over closing duties to Dan Wheeler if they move Lidge.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
rotoworld:

The Houston Chronicle's Richard Justice reports that Astros owner Drayton McLane has ordered GM Tim Purpura to trade Brad Lidge.

The Rangers are the team getting mentioned in connection with Lidge, but if he has to go, there will be more interested parties, starting with the Mets and Red Sox. The Astros could turn over closing duties to Dan Wheeler if they move Lidge.

Let's all sing a song ready:

Every contender gets better, gets better but the White Sox. Sitting on our hands is nice, when you want to play golf in october.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
We were once interested in Brad Lidge but I have to think the price would be such (current big league talent) that unles they'd do Vazquez for Lidge that we won't be in it

Why wouldnt they do a deal like that? Vaz belongs in the NL, especially the NL central. He could be a middle of the rotation guy in that division. You trade Vaz for someone, a reliever like Lidge, then move BMAC into the rotation and we already improved a ton.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
Why wouldnt they do a deal like that? Vaz belongs in the NL, especially the NL central. He could be a middle of the rotation guy in that division. You trade Vaz for someone, a reliever like Lidge, then move BMAC into the rotation and we already improved a ton.

agreed 150 percent. Lidge, MacDougal, Thornton, Jenks, Riske

WOW

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
agreed 150 percent. Lidge, MacDougal, Thornton, Jenks, Riske

WOW

Lidge would bring a nice slider in the mix. If I was Hou, I would look at Vaz as a possibility, just because he will lose around a point in his ERA at least moving to that division.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
Lidge would bring a nice slider in the mix. If I was Hou, I would look at Vaz as a possibility, just because he will lose around a point in his ERA at least moving to that division.

Think of how our pen would work out. We would have 4 guys that can throw 97 or higher at the back end of our pen.

Lidge for the 6th

McDougal for the 7th

Thornton for the 8th

Jenks for the 9th.

Get to the 6th with a lead and its over. I think Lidge could handle the 6th inning.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
Think of how our pen would work out. We would have 4 guys that can throw 97 or higher at the back end of our pen.

Lidge for the 6th

McDougal for the 7th

Thornton for the 8th

Jenks for the 9th.

Get to the 6th with a lead and its over. I think Lidge could handle the 6th inning.

All have different stuff as well. Lidge is a slider guy. McD is effective.y wild with several different fastballs, Thorton throws an easy 98 from the LH side, and jenks has a hook, change, cutter and 100 mph heat.

You would think a NL team would bite on Vaz. LAD, Hou, Mets, someone has to bite.