MLB Trade Deadline Thread 7/31

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE(rowand @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
pods and mack are two of the worst outfielders I have EVER seen. Dye is above average. Anderson is well above average. Pods and Mack will continue to cost us runs, but if they can get on base, I guess we will have to take it...

As Jason already said, Mackowiak is actually a pretty good corner OFer.

Now about Dye being above average, I'm not so sure about that anymore. He's lost more than just a step out in RF. He has to be in the lower half of RF's when it comes to speed. And he has a cannon for an arm, no doubt. He just doesn't seem to ready himself for throws or prevent runners from advancing an extra base.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 01:50 AM)
Indeed. If we miss the playoffs, it will probably be in part due to several games lost (with a few more to come!) due to Ozzie putting Mack in CF even though he can't play out there. Mack should ONLY be out there once every couple weeks to give BA a break, end of story. Mack in the corners of the OF is very solid and he's given us quality at bats with a .300/.400 split or so the last couple months after that slow start.

So you don't think Buerhle's atrocious five games in July do not cost us the playoff, where he was 0-5 with an ERA ABOVE 11! And I did not even mention how terribly Vazquez and Garcia have been pitching.

You can micro-criticize Ozzie all you want, but our chances to get into the playoff lie with our starting pitchers. Make no mistake about it!

QUOTE(S720 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
So you don't think Buerhle's atrocious five games in July do not cost us the playoff, where he was 0-5 with an ERA ABOVE 11! And I did not even mention how terribly Vazquez and Garcia have been pitching.

You can micro-criticize Ozzie all you want, but our chances to get into the playoff lie with our starting pitchers. Make no mistake about it!

Fair enough, but it doesn't help trotting out a spiffty defensive player in an important defensive position. Mack has contributed to the pitching problems with his terrible D.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
As Jason already said, Mackowiak is actually a pretty good corner OFer.

Now about Dye being above average, I'm not so sure about that anymore. He's lost more than just a step out in RF. He has to be in the lower half of RF's when it comes to speed. And he has a cannon for an arm, no doubt. He just doesn't seem to ready himself for throws or prevent runners from advancing an extra base.

Let me bounce something off you regarding Dye's speed. I may be totally off the mark here, because I haven't seen any games in person and I only get to see the occasional game on TV but Dye has always seemed to me to be the type with deceptive speed. In other words, he's actually moving faster than he appears to be because he moves fluidly or apparently effortlessly.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
Let me bounce something off you regarding Dye's speed. I may be totally off the mark here, because I haven't seen any games in person and I only get to see the occasional game on TV but Dye has always seemed to me to be the type with deceptive speed. In other words, he's actually moving faster than he appears to be because he moves fluidly or apparently effortlessly.

No, he's extremely slow in the OF this year. If a ball is hit into the corner, it seems like he's jogging to it. And balls are falling in front of him more than ever, it seems.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
No, he's extremely slow in the OF this year. If a ball is hit into the corner, it seems like he's jogging to it. And balls are falling in front of him more than ever, it seems.

Just asking.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)

Yas,

I would break down Dye and his moves on the outfield as such.

His ability to move back on a ball is great. He gets great reads, and can pick up the fence well.

His ability to move forward is pretty good, some balls drop. But what can you do.

I think his only issue is moving to the foul pole to foul pole. He seems to have his problems moving left to right. I would suspect that is a 2 point issue. One being were he positions himself defensively. And the other reason is that with the injury issues with his leg, I am sure the movement left to right is still not the same, nor ever will be.

I think that Dye does a great job out in RF. He isnt the fastest guy, but I think with his moves back towards the fence he saves a lot more balls than he ever gives up.

I wish Dye would charge the ball more when someone is trying to score from 2nd base on a single. Far too often this year, he's sat back on the ball, and ends up throwing it flat-footed to home. It's one of the main reasons he hasn't thrown out anyone at home this season. The same thing goes for Pods. Even if you have a pathetic arm like he does, it doesn't mean you can't charge the ball. Pods plays the outfield like he's a 250 pound infielder playing the position for the first time.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
I wish Dye would charge the ball more when someone is trying to score from 2nd base on a single. Far too often this year, he's sat back on the ball, and ends up throwing it flat-footed to home. It's one of the main reasons he hasn't thrown out anyone at home this season. The same thing goes for Pods. Even if you have a pathetic arm like he does, it doesn't mean you can't charge the ball. Pods plays the outfield like he's a 250 pound infielder playing the position for the first time.

That's my main problem with his defense. A lot of guys go 1st to 3rd on him, too, for that very reason.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
That's my main problem with his defense. A lot of guys go 1st to 3rd on him, too, for that very reason.

A lot of baserunners go first to third on a single. Unless you have an absolute cannon or the guy is slow you cant get that throw on the money for the out.

Pods you can criticize for his D. But Anderson and Dye have done a great job this year.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
A lot of baserunners go first to third on a single. Unless you have an absolute cannon or the guy is slow you cant get that throw on the money for the out.

Pods you can criticize for his D. But Anderson and Dye have done a great job this year.

I just astarted a thread dedicated to this subject. Please continue the discussion there.