Had a job interview today

aboz56

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 07:43 AM)
And really not an industry I would like to get into, nor would many people I would have thought. :lol:

At my work the HR people are the hottest girls in the company.

But half of them are that hyper-bubbly "AND HOW ARE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU TODAYYYYEEE???" kind of person that I cannot tolerate.

So it's a good news/bad news kind of deal.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 07:45 AM)
I'd have to kill myself if I were an HR person. Some people have the personality for it, and then there are those of us who just can't stand anybody :)

I can understand why HR people can be so rude. I bet 95% of what people got to HR for can be found in writing somewhere. Most people are too lazy to look for it and read. It's faster to pick up a phone and bother HR.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
Since this was my first interview for a "real job", just wondering what the normal time (if there is one) to hear back following an interview.

By all accounts it went great as I interviewed with three different people and all of them said they would be in contact with me and were impressed.

Also, I sent two of them a thank you email this afternoon and was wondering if that was the proper thing to do as well.

aboz, it sounds like you did everything by the book. I graduated in December and finished an internship in April. You can expect to hear something within a few weeks, but do not be discouraged if you do not get the position.

One word of advice. I went on probably 7 interviews. The first three, I did not get offered. The fourth, I got offered only to find out a week later that the position was being put on hold. The final three all offered positions to me. Don't feel you have to take the first offer you get. Had I done so, I would not have ended up as happy as I am now.

Good luck to you and your job search, it's not the most fun thing to do, but when you get one, you'll be very happy.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
I can understand why HR people can be so rude. I bet 95% of what people got to HR for can be found in writing somewhere. Most people are too lazy to look for it and read. It's faster to pick up a phone and bother HR.

You have got me backwards, it isn't that I think they are rude at all, they are just way to happy about life most of the time. They remind me of used care salesmen more than anything.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
aboz, it sounds like you did everything by the book. I graduated in December and finished an internship in April. You can expect to hear something within a few weeks, but do not be discouraged if you do not get the position.

One word of advice. I went on probably 7 interviews. The first three, I did not get offered. The fourth, I got offered only to find out a week later that the position was being put on hold. The final three all offered positions to me. Don't feel you have to take the first offer you get. Had I done so, I would not have ended up as happy as I am now.

Good luck to you and your job search, it's not the most fun thing to do, but when you get one, you'll be very happy.

True story. Whatever offers you might get aren't necesarily their best offers. I negotitated on and off with a place for a week before finally turning them down. To be honest I am glad I drug it out as long as I did, because it told me a lot about the way they work with their employees, and it told me I didn't really want to the be there anyway. I saw just this morning they have the position relisted on Monster.com, mostly because they didn't want to cover their own excessive insurance costs.

The longest I've waited is 2 weeks (for my current job, took 2 weeks after application to get an interview, and then another 2 weeks to get a start date).

The worst feeling I got from the job experience was when I was younger applying for some s***ty high school part time job in retail, they said I was a shoe in and would get a phone call, and then got a postcard saying they had no positions open.

Aboz, I thought you were going to Grad school.

My first real interview for my first real job was over Thanksgiving break, and I didn't hear back from them until Christmas time (letter of rejection in the mail.) I sent a thank you and emailed the HR person a couple of times, and they lived up to their word.

Of course they called me three months later, the second day after I started working my current job. :bang

My first "real" interview was for an internship for this summer. I interviewed this past january and it was the best interview I've ever had. I thought I nailed it and would for sure get the internship. I didn't get a response back from them till april, and I got rejected.

I was pretty down after that, but kinda stumbled upon the gig I have now and am really happy with it, I really couldn't ask for anything better. It's 3 minutes away from my house, instead of the hour that the other organization was. I also have a future at this place, I should have the internship position locked up for next summer w/ the organization I'm in now.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:13 AM)
At my work the HR people are the hottest girls in the company.

But half of them are that hyper-bubbly "AND HOW ARE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU TODAYYYYEEE???" kind of person that I cannot tolerate.

So it's a good news/bad news kind of deal.

You are 100% correct there in terms of the hyper bubbliness of the HR people. But if they're hot, I guess it ain't THAT bad. :D

I saw a few questions posed to me in this thread, so I'll try to answer them.

1. I was going to go to grad school, actually went for a few weeks. It's somewhat of a long story, but the way the program I was in was being run was not acceptable in my mind. Then I heard rumors of possibly losing accredidation (which I found later were not true) which did not help matters.

2. The job is for an account service rep at an advertising firm. It would be helping an account director manage a large advertising account. Seems like an entry level position with a great opportunity to get my foot in the door somewhere. I know someone at the company and have gotten great feedback on how they treat people.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
Update: Second interview scheduled for Friday.

Hopefully this is a great sign.

Good luck man.

There is a lot of good advice in here, but try not to think too much during the interview. The most important thing is to be natural, and I gotta imagine for an advertising firm you need to sell yourself more than anything. If you are uptight or artificial, it won't work.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Good luck man.

There is a lot of good advice in here, but try not to think too much during the interview. The most important thing is to be natural, and I gotta imagine for an advertising firm you need to sell yourself more than anything. If you are uptight or artificial, it won't work.

I have a lot of confidence going into the second interview because I thought I did great in the first one. I just have to continue to do what I did in the first round of interviews. But you're right, the first interview I was just myself instead of telling them what they wanted to hear and things went fantastic.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
I have a lot of confidence going into the second interview because I thought I did great in the first one. I just have to continue to do what I did in the first round of interviews. But you're right, the first interview I was just myself instead of telling them what they wanted to hear and things went fantastic.

Good deal. It sounds like you are all good.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)

Go get em aboz. The second interview is key. Make sure to ask about the company, but just be yourself. My first few interviews, I was just trying to impress to no avail. Like i said, I was offered the final three just because I was being myself.

Good luck man.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the second interview is only with the qualified candidates, so you are right there. Hopefully ya get it, but at least you should have some confidnence regardless that the company things you are very well qualified. Good luck Aboz.

Yeah my second interview with one of the companies I interview for was really short and basically they just went over the benefits.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
From what I've heard, you're not supposed to contact them too soon because it looks "desperate" but I've long wondered how true that really was.

I've also heard that, if you don't get the job, you'll never hear back from them. Otherwise, it should be relatively soon.

Hope you get it!

It used to be two days. Two days is the industry standard, but I think three days is kind of money.

The first interview is to weed out the bad people, or people who don't fit. The second interview is to actually find the two or so people they really want.

One thing that gets lost in the interview process, and it's probably the most important part - the second interview is also YOU interviewing THEM to make sure it's a fit for YOU. Boz, not saying it's not here, but for those who are on their first and second and ... XXXX career moves, every time you interview it's CRUCIAL that the company fits you and your longer term goals. Most of the time, we are thinking the other way, what do they think of me, etc. It's just as important, if not moreso, what you think of them and how they will treat you.

• 2 weeks later...