Official College Football Thread

Russell has more than a good arm. They weren't kidding when they said he can throw the ball 60 yards from his knees. He throws deep balls effortlessly. The knock on him has been consistency. I think if he goes, he will definitely challenge Quinn for the top QB taken. He's huge and near impossible to bring down. He has a cannon and generally makes good decisions.

I've enjoyed watching him the past few years. If he does come back, he forces Matt Flynn, the QB who beat Miami 41-3 in the Peach Bowl last year to sit his senior year. LSU also has Ryan Perrilloux, a redshirt freshman who was one of the top 2-3 QB's in last year's recruiting class. LSU is stocked at QB.

Oh, and Bradshaw sucks!!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
I'm a ND hater, but I think they're going to surprise people tonight.

/just wanted to make that comment before the game.

Nope, they are doing about what I expected. Weis' committment to the run shocked LSU early and kept it close, but talent took over, LSU is throwing deep at will, and this is a blowout. ND should patent BCS beatdowns like this.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 10:20 PM)
I dont know man, hitting a receiver in stride is something that he has shown the ability to do, while his competition on the other side of the ball is throwing near picks in those situations.

ND should be running the ball every snap, but im sure Charlie will try and throw it.

Of his two long balls, only the last was hit in stride. The first big play of the game was an awful throw, and if the 2nd was hit in stride it should have been a TD. Maybe I define "stride" a bit differently, but I'm not impressed by the touch on his throws. But that may simply be me nitpicking.

I really do think he's a great QB, and he certainly has the measurables. I just think Quinn is getting the raw deal in this whole "Who should be taken first?" discussion. And it certainly has a lot to do with him being the non-sexy, "safe" pick; therefore, not an interesting media take. Size, Arm, Brain, and most importantly Toughness makes Quinn the complete package...too bad he plays for a team as polarized as ND is.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 08:11 PM)
i just love watching this LSU team play

It's a shame it's not LSU or USC playing the Buckeyes. By what I've seen this year, tOSU is the best, then LSU and USC in any order, than everybody else.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
I just think Quinn is getting the raw deal in this whole "Who should be taken first?" discussion. And it certainly has a lot to do with him being the non-sexy, "safe" pick; therefore, not an interesting media take. Size, Arm, Brain, and most importantly Toughness makes Quinn the complete package...too bad he plays for a team as polarized as ND is.

I really don't know how you can say all that. If Weis never shows up in South Bend, Quinn isn't even a 1st round pick.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
Of his two long balls, only the last was hit in stride. The first big play of the game was an awful throw, and if the 2nd was hit in stride it should have been a TD. Maybe I define "stride" a bit differently, but I'm not impressed by the touch on his throws. But that may simply be me nitpicking.

I really do think he's a great QB, and he certainly has the measurables. I just think Quinn is getting the raw deal in this whole "Who should be taken first?" discussion. And it certainly has a lot to do with him being the non-sexy, "safe" pick; therefore, not an interesting media take. Size, Arm, Brain, and most importantly Toughness makes Quinn the complete package...too bad he plays for a team as polarized as ND is.

I think after you posted he threw another awesome deep ball, the guy is the real deal. If you are talking about the throw that was down to the 5 yard line, the WR was in bracket coverage and the only place he could fit the ball was in between the DB's which he did, perfectly. I dont think you were watching the same play.

I dont even come close to seeing how you can call Quinn the top pick, I havent seen anything good from him other than his physical size. He has played against 3 good teams, and hasnt really performed the way a #1 or even a #2 pick should. Less than 200 yards? A couple of picks? I dont even see what he has other than size to be called an elite QB or even one that could succeed at the next level. You want to see the performance of a top pick? Look at the guys who take over games and lead their team to the promise land. Leinart, Young, Palmer, these are guys that clearly had what it takes. I dont see any of that in the overhyped Quinn.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
It's a shame it's not LSU or USC playing the Buckeyes. By what I've seen this year, tOSU is the best, then LSU and USC in any order, than everybody else.

I really don't know how you can say all that. If Weis never shows up in South Bend, Quinn isn't even a 1st round pick.

It appears that Michigan could be somewhat in the same discussion due to their dismantling of the Irish as well, but I think you are right about both points.

Edited by RockRaines

I can't imagine passing on Russell if he declares. Raiders could have him sit behind Brooks for a year, or part of the year. He's basically Daunte Culpepper with a stronger arm. If he ends up on a team that has a coach that can keep him focused, the sky is the limit. Has the strongest arm I have ever seen. 85 yards in the air? That's insane. I've heard Vick can get it a little over 70 yards and that always impressed me, but 85?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)

No I agree, Weis has turned him into a monster. Should have worded that better. By saying ND is polarizing I mean that he's under such a microscope and so much exposure. I mean take the gold helmets and the blue jerseys away and then take a look. As much as people argue that the "ND Hype Machine" is good for you, it's just as bad. Obviously there are very few here that believe this as such, but I might as well state it.

Just give this a read, http://bluegraysky.blogspot.com/2006_12_01...576835367811511

Puts what I'm speaking of in a much more eloquent manner.

Sidenote: LSU fans chanting overrated. That's downright moronic.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:06 PM)
How many freakin balls has McKnight dropped tonight?? I saw he made a hell of a catch earlier, but have seen at least 2-3 drops and I have only been watching sporadically.

This has been Mcknight's problem all year. I really wish Grimes would have played over him.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
Of course ND doesn't belong in the bowls they get into....but since they are ND, they are a lock for BCS everytime they go 10-2, end of story, no matter how many times they get killed.

Sure they do, but that has already been discussed. Move on please.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:16 PM)
How? It's completely true.

So if you're an LSU fan, you're going to discredit your own great victory by saying you beat a "lesser" opponent? Because that's exactly what you're doing by saying your opponent is overrated. It's rather simple logic, actually.

Also, LSU is rated higher. I mean really, you're a friggin 10pt favorite. You're expected to do this.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
No I agree, Weis has turned him into a monster. Should have worded that better. By saying ND is polarizing I mean that he's under such a microscope and so much exposure. I mean take the gold helmets and the blue jerseys away and then take a look. As much as people argue that the "ND Hype Machine" is good for you, it's just as bad. Obviously there are very few here that believe this as such, but I might as well state it.

Just give this a read, http://bluegraysky.blogspot.com/2006_12_01...576835367811511

Puts what I'm speaking of in a much more eloquent manner.

I agree with all of that actually. And yeah, the overrated chant is moronic. I just worry about Quinn in the NFL because he doesn't have all the tools that translate to the next level IMO, he's somewhat a product of Weis' great system.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)

You must not be too familiar with LSU football. All those crazy Cajuns drink all day and get real loud and stupid when LSU plays at night. Ever notice LSU rarely plays a day game at home? The atmosphere in Baton Rouge on a Saturday night is one of the toughest to play anywhere. Opopsing teams get yelled at, things throw at them, their momas talked about, etc. It's not pretty.

LSU playing in the Sugar Bowl is a HUGE advantage. About as close to a home game as you can get.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)
So if you're an LSU fan, you're going to discredit your own great victory by saying you beat a "lesser" opponent? Because that's exactly what you're doing by saying your opponent is overrated. It's rather simple logic, actually.

Also, LSU is rated higher. I mean really, you're a friggin 10pt favorite. You're expected to do this.

Notre Dame didn't deserve to be in a BCS bowl. The LSU fans realize this, and chant "overrated". Its not moronic at all..

Also, in a BCS bowl, no one is expected to win by nearly 30 points. Thats the point of the BCS... to make the games competitive.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)

Completely agree, I absolutely f***in hate the overrated chant.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:21 PM)
Notre Dame didn't deserve to be in a BCS bowl. The LSU fans realize this, and chant "overrated". Its not moronic at all..

Also, in a BCS bowl, no one is expected to win by nearly 30 points. Thats the point of the BCS... to make the games competitive.

I couldn't disagree more with your first point, all the overrated chant does is discount your own win. Your right about point #2 though....the BCS failed here, because I mean I expected this to be a 30 point blowout. It was such a disparity in talent.

ND should have played Wake Forest or Louisville. Plain and Simple.

We all know LSU was the worst matchup for ND, but it was an attractive matchup for the money grab that is the BCS. Again, another "disadvantage" of being ND and being a National Attraction.