Who will be the best QB in the league this year?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(T R U @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
Culpepper is gonna have a big year IMO..

Chambers, Booker, McMichael, Brown.. way more weapons than he ever had in Minnesota

Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Robert Smith in 2000. Pro Bowler in his 1st year as starter, nearly 4000 yards.

Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Byron Chamberlain, Jake Reed, Michael Bennet in 2001.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)
Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Robert Smith in 2000. Pro Bowler in his 1st year as starter, nearly 4000 yards.

Like I said, he has better weapons now in Miami than he did in Minnesota

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
The thing I keep thinking about is that there always seems to be 1-2 QB's who come out of nowhere every year to have great years, like Hasselbeck last year, for example. Or Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme his first year, hell even Tom Brady. So, I'm just trying to think, aside from Peyton and Brady, who out there has the weapons and system around them to really come out and be dynamite.

JP LOSMAN, DUH

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)

That's only two years though, and Reed wasn't really that good in 2001. In 2002 and 2003 he had monsters like D'Wayne Bates, Derrick Alexander, and Kelly Campbell for receivers. Burleson was only decent in 2003, and Moe Williams was their second leading receiver that year. In 2004 he played most of the year without Moss. The numbers might look good, but I'd attribute Burleson and Robinson's numbers to Culpepper as opposed to the other way around. And last year before he got hurt his receivers simply weren't getting open.

Outside of Moss he's had mostly lackluster receiving options.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
I wouldn't complain at all if he did, but I still haven't heard good things about his work up in Buffalo. And I'm still not confident in the offensive line in front of him.

I'm not either. I would be surprised if the Bills aren't looking at a top 5, or even top 3, pick next year.

And it almost looked like the organization was turning around after the 04-05 season too. Just too friggin bad they couldn't beat the Steelers 2nd team.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
That's only two years though, and Reed wasn't really that good in 2001. In 2002 and 2003 he had monsters like D'Wayne Bates, Derrick Alexander, and Kelly Campbell for receivers. Burleson was only decent in 2003, and Moe Williams was their second leading receiver that year. In 2004 he played most of the year without Moss. The numbers might look good, but I'd attribute Burleson and Robinson's numbers to Culpepper as opposed to the other way around. And last year before he got hurt his receivers simply weren't getting open.

Outside of Moss he's had mostly lackluster receiving options.

90+ catches from Cris Carter is lackluster? Robert Smith was a great pass-catching RB. Byron Chamberlain had 50-some catches in 2001. His weapons in Minnesota are way better than anything he has in Miami now. Randy Moss was an absolute beast while in Minnesota. People fail to realize how many bombs Culpepper threw to Moss for TD's.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
90+ catches from Cris Carter is lackluster? Robert Smith was a great pass-catching RB. Byron Chamberlain had 50-some catches in 2001. His weapons in Minnesota are way better than anything he has in Miami now. Randy Moss was an absolute beast while in Minnesota. People fail to realize how many bombs Culpepper threw to Moss for TD's.

Wow, Minnesota did not have better weapons than Miami does now..

Chris Chambers has put up good numbers without EVER playing with a real QB, and now he finally has that. He could have easily been putting up Randy Moss numbers with a QB and now well all get to see that. I guess youll see how many bombs Culpepper throws to Chambers for TDs now.

Ronnie Brown is also a great pass catching RB, not only that but he can run AND block. Hes just as good as Robert Smith was.

Byron Chamberlain? Um ok, Ill easily take Randy McMichael over him. Even Teyo Johnson should have a solid season as a recieving tight end this season.

Marty Booker, Derek Hagan, Wes Welker (Slot), Kelly Campbell (Slot, also played with Culpepper in Minny) thats 4 more WR's who should be solid and better if anything equal to what Minnesota ever had with Pep

Not to mention the fact that Miami actually has a defense, which in turn will help the offense. Im sorry, but the team he is on now has more talent than what he had in Minnesota.

QUOTE(T R U @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 01:40 AM)
Wow, Minnesota did not have better weapons than Miami does now..

Chris Chambers has put up good numbers without EVER playing with a real QB, and now he finally has that. He could have easily been putting up Randy Moss numbers with a QB and now well all get to see that. I guess youll see how many bombs Culpepper throws to Chambers for TDs now.

Ronnie Brown is also a great pass catching RB, not only that but he can run AND block. Hes just as good as Robert Smith was.

Byron Chamberlain? Um ok, Ill easily take Randy McMichael over him. Even Teyo Johnson should have a solid season as a recieving tight end this season.

Marty Booker, Derek Hagan, Wes Welker (Slot), Kelly Campbell (Slot, also played with Culpepper in Minny) thats 4 more WR's who should be solid and better if anything equal to what Minnesota ever had with Pep

Not to mention the fact that Miami actually has a defense, which in turn will help the offense. Im sorry, but the team he is on now has more talent than what he had in Minnesota.

You're a Dolphins fan so you have a bit of a biased view, ;) but we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Bledsoe will probably suprise people again this season I would imagine.

Favorable factors for him to have a better season than last year include;

1 - A better offensive line. Dependent on whether Flozell Adams can stay healthy for the whole season, and whether one of Fabini, Colombo and Pettiti can do the job at RT.

2 - Better supporting cast. Owens is an upgrade on Keyshawn. Crayton needs to stay healthy as the 3rd WR. Anthony Fasano as the 2nd TE will create matchup problems for LB's and safeties.

Besides the obvious candidates though, I think Drew Brees will have a Pro Bowl year.

I cant believe someone is argueing something where it shouldnt be close. I love Chris Chambers one of my favorite WR's in the game. But Randy Moss and Cris Carter are both better WR's than Chambers. Ill say the TE's are about equal in pass catching ability. Moss and Carter are both hall of fame talents... Chambers is good but not hall of fame good.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
and I'd be shocked if Delhomme, who has been incosistent his whole career, is good again in 2006.

He hasn't been inconsistent. His QB ratings have been in the 80s every year since he became a starter(80.6-2003, 87.3-2004, 88.1-2005), same for completion %(59.2-2003, 58.2-2004, 60.2-2005). The only big discrepency he has had has been tds(19, 29, 24), and his INT #s are 16, 15, 16. He is consistent across the board. What might be most staggering is that Steve Smith was the best WR in the NFL last year and Jake D's TD total actually went down.

Jake Delhomme to surprise this year and have a career year maybe?

I'd actually say since he became a full time starter he has been one of the top 5 QBs in the league.

Before Drew Brees came to NO, Delhomme has been far and away the best QB in the NFC South. I guess that doesnt really say much since Brooks and Vick are two of the worst QBs in the game, but still. Brees and Delhomme's #s were identical last year.

And in the playoffs, Delhomme is money(except last year when he had only one weapon in Smith). With Foster AND Williams now, plus the addition of MeShawn(I also like Hartwig @ C over Mitchell).

I'm not saying he wont have a career year, which he really could. Just saying he has been consistently great for a while now.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)

I did say "mostly." Carter is a future hall of famer, that I can't doubt. Carter hasn't been there for Culpepper's whole career though, only in 2 of his 6 seasons as a starter. To say he had great options for his whole career simply isn't accurate. Moss is the only good threat that he had for most of his career. Even if you remove Moss' numbers entirely from Dante's totals he still posts better numbers than most quarterbacks.

His options in Miami aren't stellar, but he has a few more threats than he had in Minnesota. If he can post the numbers he did in 2004 with an injured Moss most of the year (only missed 3 games but was limited in several others), he should be able to do the same thing with Chambers, Booker, and McMichael.

And if Chambers can average 919 yards and almost 8 TD's a year with the crap that the Dolphins have had at QB, he's a pretty good candidate to put up 1200 and 12 with a healthy Culpepper.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
Even if you remove Moss' numbers entirely from Dante's totals he still posts better numbers than most quarterbacks.

That's not really a fair thing to do for any QB. The whole idea of having a dominant receiver like Moss is not only does he make a ton of catches and big plays himself, but he opens up the field for big plays for other guys by drawing the focus of the defense and leaving single coverage on the second and third targets most of the time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
That's not really a fair thing to do for any QB. The whole idea of having a dominant receiver like Moss is not only does he make a ton of catches and big plays himself, but he opens up the field for big plays for other guys by drawing the focus of the defense and leaving single coverage on the second and third targets most of the time.

My only point with that was that Moss alone doesn't make a great receiving group.

To some extent that's true, but the other guys still have to be able to make plays in their own rights. They still have to be able to get open and make the catch. That simply wasn't the case with a lot of Minnesota's receivers. Moss has a big impact, but he can't turn just any junk into gold. Otherwise he'd have put up better numbers in Oakland last year, or someone besides Carter would have been a bigger threat for the Vikings, or someone besides TO would have been a productive receiver for the Eagles.

An elite receiver certainly helps the cause, but the other guys still have to produce. That didn't happen all that often in Minnesota.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
Im gonna go with.

1. Manning

2. Palmer if he is healthy

3. Mcnabb

4. Culp

No Brady in the top 5? I'd personally put him up there. I also don't see McNabb being that productive this year. He doesn't really have the ability to make big plays on the run anymore, and his lack of quality receivers will probably limit his effectiveness. I definitely don't see him posting anything anywhere near his 2004 numbers.

Zoom,

That was my top 4, after that there are just to many guys who could be 5. Also Ive never been that big of a Brady fan, although he continues to prove me wrong.

As for Mcnabb, he may not have the best WR, but he has a coach who throws the ball constantly. In that system, Mcnabb will always put up great numbers because he has so many opportunities.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 02:13 AM)
You're a Dolphins fan so you have a bit of a biased view, ;) but we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I dont really see where I was being Biased in my post.. Chambers has been putting up good numbers for years now with nothing at QB, and now he gets a pro bowl calibur guy throwing to him. He should have a huge year, watching their training camps has me already pumped to see them put that in the regular season. Ronnie Brown is a good recieving back, equal to Robert Smith also which I thought was fair. Randy McMichael is way better than Byron Chamberlain and thats not biased, thats fact. Go compare career stats if you need reassurance.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
My only point with that was that Moss alone doesn't make a great receiving group.

To some extent that's true, but the other guys still have to be able to make plays in their own rights. They still have to be able to get open and make the catch. That simply wasn't the case with a lot of Minnesota's receivers. Moss has a big impact, but he can't turn just any junk into gold. Otherwise he'd have put up better numbers in Oakland last year, or someone besides Carter would have been a bigger threat for the Vikings, or someone besides TO would have been a productive receiver for the Eagles.

An elite receiver certainly helps the cause, but the other guys still have to produce. That didn't happen all that often in Minnesota.

Since we're talking about Moss...is it possible that he's lost his "title"(or whatever you want to call it) as a top 2 receiver in the league?

I didn't watch him play much last year, but in his last year in Minnesota, he seemed to be a pretty mediocre receiver, and a lot of that had to do with a hamstring injury. To relate injuries from one sport to another, Scott Podsednik has not been the same player, period, since his hamstring injury late last year. For those who watched Moss play in Oakland last year, was he a little more ineffective due to a little loss in speed?