I can't take this anymore....

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
I wonder what it will take to get him fired this offseason. I am convinced if we had a halfway decent field tactician we could get a few more wins than we have now. This not pulling your pitchers when they are done is getting old.

if we don't make the playoffs, he'll say something ignorant and stupid about a player/management, and he will get canned.

I think management's patience with him has run real thin and he's been able to stick around because they were winning.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
His big mouth.

This team is very poorly coached. They're terrible at running the bases, they don't communicate well (how many times do we see the fielders nearly collide, the balk tonight was another example too), and can't execute bunts at all.

Terrible 3B coach, too.

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
if we don't make the playoffs, he'll say something ignorant and stupid about a player/management, and he will get canned.

I think management's patience with him has run real thin and he's been able to stick around because they were winning.

I want to get good seats for the Q&A session at soxfest if we blow this due and have OG still at the helm. He will implode on stage.

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
we went out and get guys like macdougal for a reason.

If bmac came in, in the 7th and gave up a few runs, I wouldn't be nearly this upset, cause at least ozzie made some sort of right move.

But honestly, it's got to be around 10 games that we've lost this season, due to just leaving the starter in their too long.

We won in the playoffs last year in spite of ozzie, basically we didn't give him a chance to screw it up.

I think more and more people are beggining to see that.

You're right that the Sox won the World Series last year in spite of Ozzie's bad managing, such as his use of Damaso Marte and Neal Cotts, and his decisions to put Marte on the playoff rosters over McCarthy.

Ozzie had a poor philosophy last year of using the worse of his two lefty relievers in critical relief situations. He used Marte when the game was on the line instead of using Cotts, who he was saving for situation that didn't occur.

The smart philosophy would have been to first use his best lefty reliever, Cotts, for the tougher situations where a lefty pitcher is required, because he was more likely to succeed than Marte. Then, later in the game if a lefty is needed, call on Marte. Ozzie had this backwards, regularly used Marte at critical points in the game where a lefty pitcher was desired, while Cotts rotted in the bullpen for a situation that often never came.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(shoota @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
You're right that the Sox won the World Series last year in spite of Ozzie's bad managing, such as his use of Damaso Marte and Neal Cotts, and his decisions to put Marte on the playoff rosters over McCarthy.

Ozzie had a poor philosophy last year of using the worse of his two lefty relievers in critical relief situations. He used Marte when the game was on the line instead of using Cotts, who he was saving for situation that didn't occur.

The smart philosophy would have been to first use his best lefty reliever, Cotts, for the tougher situations where a lefty pitcher is required, because he was more likely to succeed than Marte. Then, later in the game if a lefty is needed, call on Marte. Ozzie had this backwards, regularly used Marte at critical points in the game where a lefty pitcher was desired, while Cotts rotted in the bullpen for a situation that often never came.

Remember when he brought Marte into the third game of the Boston series? Who knows how that series would've went if Duque hadn't had one of the greatest playoff innings in history.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
Remember when he brought Marte into the third game of the Boston series? Who knows how that series would've went if Duque hadn't had one of the greatest playoff innings in history.

No doubt. With hindsight, I'm grateful for Ozzie's poor decision because it gave me one of the most emotional feelings I've had watching sports.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
.568 and a World Series speaks for itself.

Yet a better manager might have lead Ozzie's teams to a better winning percentage, 2005 World Series victory, and have the 2006 team playing much better baseball.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
As bad as it looks today, I still like the chances for a playoff spot. Added bonus, the team will be playing their best ball of the season in September.

Nope, not drinking.

funny thing about comments like yours is that there is nothing to back it up except "i have a feeling" or "just because"

false hope leads to disappointment

imo nothing points to anything but us finishing 10 games over .500 for the season. our pitching stinks and we are the 2004 whitesox...homerun or nothing.

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)

thats the life of a sports fan. I enjoyed my "false hope" after our 7 game losing streak last year.

funny. a majority of the whiners registered AFTER the 2005 glory season. Im not saing they are BW's , but Im just saying.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)
funny thing about comments like yours is that there is nothing to back it up except "i have a feeling" or "just because"

imo nothing points to anything but us finishing 10 games over .500 for the season. our pitching stinks and we are the 2004 whitesox...homerun or nothing.

Why do you care if he chooses to be optimistic and not foolishly give up on the season? If you think it's over, fine. Stop watching the games. Don't try and bring those down that continue to have faith in the team.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
Why do you care if he chooses to be optimistic and not foolishly give up on the season? If you think it's over, fine. Stop watching the games. Don't try and bring those down that continue to have faith in the team.

you understand the irony of your comments right? it's probably /overyourhead

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:55 AM)
And I am sure as hell it won't be this year. Zero pitching leads to zero championships, period.

^^^^^^^^^^

Keep blaming ozzie, please use him as the scape goat. Yea of course he makes some questionable calls in the bullpen.....but please OZZIE IS NOT THE PROBLEM.......our starters other then Garland are flat out crap. JC needs to stop with his lazy arm bulls***, in a game or 2 he is gonna be throwing submarine. Freddy needs to speed it up and stop lazily wondering around the mound like a lost puppy. Javy needs to stop thinking and just pitch. And Mark I just don't know.....his location is complete s hit, his velocity is about as good as a high school freshman.....

What I find funny is there is no blame being put on Coop. COOP THE MIRACLE MAN, the only reason he gets so much credit is because of last year......SO WHAT THE HELL IS HE TELLING THEM NOW.....

Whenever there is an offensive slump people call for Walkers head.....Coop saved Matt Thornton, or did he, Matt says OZZIE was the one that has givin him all the confidence......So keep blaming it on Ozzie, the man who brought a worse team to the world series......

Edited by DABearSoX

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)

you know what, who cares? I want to win every game too, but despite the diappointments so far - guess what? We won the world series. Everything is else is gravy. Keep things in perspective.

QUOTE(shoota @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)
Yet a better manager might have lead Ozzie's teams to a better winning percentage, 2005 World Series victory, and have the 2006 team playing much better baseball.

Call me crazy, but I'll keep the World Series trophy and forgo whatever is behind curtain #3.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:14 AM)
His big mouth.

This team is very poorly coached. They're terrible at running the bases, they don't communicate well (how many times do we see the fielders nearly collide, the balk tonight was another example too), and can't execute bunts at all.

Oh come on, Fathom.

As a person who has MLB Extra Innings and gets to see LOTS of baseball daily, you're really overexaggerating things.

-I don't see how you can blame the baserunning problems on Ozzie. Half the lineup (Konerko/Thome/Pierzynski/Crede) is slow as hell. Our fastest guy doesn't seem very smart on the basepaths. Other than that, you have some average or slightly above/below guys. As far as taking the extra base, those things are on the players, IMO. It's on the guy on first base to see were to see if the RFer is guarding the line or shading the gap, etc etc.

-Again, defensively, I don't think you can complain about our guys this year. They're in the top third in DER this season, and were first last season. How many times do we see fielders nearly collide? I don't recall this happening too many times, other than the Iguchi/Dye play, and again -- I don't know how Ozzie factors into that one.

It also doesn't help (defensively speaking) that the right side of our infield has little to no range. I like those two a lot, and both will probably be here next season (Koney and Iguchi), but they don't cover a lot of ground.

-Bunting? Well, I don't think that's for a lack of effort. I believe Hawk when he says the Sox have worked on their bunting this year more than last. Again, IMO, that's something that's on the players...

I'm not saying Ozzie is perfect. His handling of Buehrle tonight was awful. His handling staff of the starters this year, for the most part, has been awful. His playing Mackowiak in centerfield so often has been awful.

But there's also a lot of overexaggeration in this thread, IMO. As I said, watching a lot of baseball games every day, and seeing others fans' thoughts on their own managers; well, let's just say I'm okay with Ozzie. I don't think there are fans of any team in baseball who never complain about their own. It's just unfortunate that our manager's decisions hold so much more weight this year because our f***ing starters suck...