AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

fathom

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 01:23 AM)
javy gets the win but it was not a quality start. espicially that our bullpen had to pitch 4 innings AND we got the tigers tomorrow/tonight whatever.

I'll take it any day. Damn...for the past 3 weeks everybody's been b****in' about not lettin' Javy go past five...and now the complaint is...the bullpen had to pitch 4 innings?!? Look at it this way...Mac is fresh and so is Riske. Maybe at some point this season too...Neal Cotts can remove his head from his rectum...that'd help!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 01:09 AM)
I still get the feeliong the Tigers lead is catchable. Anything can happen still.

I agree, but to be honest I'll buy into it a LOT more if the Sox sweep this series.

Even one win for the Tigers this weekend cuts down any real chance for the Sox to dig in and send a message.

The Sox NEED all three, in my book.

I've been going to ballgames for my entire life and I am hard-pressed to come up with another instance where I witnessed umpiring as poor as tonight.

My brother and I were at the game tonight and were floored at how many breaks the Yankees got. Eric Cooper's negligent call in the sixth that would have ended the inning by doubling off Bobby Abreu was a joke. Cooper had all but completed the 'safe' motion before the ball or the baserunner arrived, as if he'd decided what the call was before it even happened.

That and they would give Yankee pitchers pretty much anything they wanted as a strike.

Edited by Drew

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
Big hats to Javy for grinding through 5. Did we see him turn a corner after the last two games? He had about 5 chances to crack and he strapped it down and didn't. He made me sweat but he pulled it out. Hats to Bobby tonight too.

Alot of credit to AJ for that. He seemed to keep Javy focused and motivate when he needed to be,.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 06:12 PM)
I agree, but to be honest I'll buy into it a LOT more if the Sox sweep this series.

Even one win for the Tigers this weekend cuts down any real chance for the Sox to dig in and send a message.

The Sox NEED all three, in my book.

I'd still take 2 out of 3 to be honest. Just keep chipping away at it. Because if you can get that margin back to around 5 games, it's only going to put more pressure on them to hold it. And we know that first hand from last season when we had the Indians chasing us.

Huge F***ing win last night.

We won a game on a night when our 3-4-5 guys had exactly 1 hit. We won a game where our starting pitcher only went 5 innings. We won a game against a very, very tough lineup, and with one of our 2 lefties out of the bullpen still being a disaster.

And, IMO, most importantly, we won a game with one of the worst umpiring jobs behind the plate I've seen all year. Mussina had a strike zone about a foot wider than the plate, and Javy/our pitchers really got absolutely nothing. The only pitch Mussina didn't get all night was the 1-2 pitch to Anderson 3 inches low and 6 inches off the plate in the 6th inning (anderson struck out on that same pitch earlier in the game.) BA doubled on the next pitch.

Seriously, that strike zone was just awful. I'm surprised the pitch that nailed Dye didn't get called a strike. Javy goes 6 last night with a decent umpire behind the plate, and the White Sox score 8 of of Mussina.

Anyway, we won, no more B*tching, hopefully we get a new set of umps for this series.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 01:09 AM)
Vazquez only went 5 innings but he was awesome tonight all things considering. Although I think the one thing thats been bothering me especially his last 2 nights is on some batters he seems to go non-stop outside. Although I guess so far it has worked against him but still would like to seem him go inside a little more.

I disagree. He got Giambi out with the bases loaded on a ball inside, and I recall other balls in tight, especially to lefties. This may have been the biggest game of Javy Vazquez's career, and he came through well enough to win.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
Huge F***ing win last night.

We won a game on a night when our 3-4-5 guys had exactly 1 hit. We won a game where our starting pitcher only went 5 innings. We won a game against a very, very tough lineup, and with one of our 2 lefties out of the bullpen still being a disaster.

And, IMO, most importantly, we won a game with one of the worst umpiring jobs behind the plate I've seen all year. Mussina had a strike zone about a foot wider than the plate, and Javy/our pitchers really got absolutely nothing. The only pitch Mussina didn't get all night was the 1-2 pitch to Anderson 3 inches low and 6 inches off the plate in the 6th inning (anderson struck out on that same pitch earlier in the game.) BA doubled on the next pitch.

Seriously, that strike zone was just awful. I'm surprised the pitch that nailed Dye didn't get called a strike. Javy goes 6 last night with a decent umpire behind the plate, and the White Sox score 8 of of Mussina.

Anyway, we won, no more B*tching, hopefully we get a new set of umps for this series.

I didn't see the K-zone the same way, though I would agree it was erratic. I think Javy also got some calls on pitches that were way low. In the end, I thought the balls and strikes evened out.

Loved to see our "turnip" hitters come through for a change. And loved to see Javy battle from the stretch all 5 innings and not let them have anything. All I want from him is 5 innings with a 2-run lead. Do you realize he's given us that 5 games in a row, but we lost 3 of those games because Ozzie didn't know when to change pitchers?

QUOTE(Drew @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 05:42 AM)
I've been going to ballgames for my entire life and I am hard-pressed to come up with another instance where I witnessed umpiring as poor as tonight.

My brother and I were at the game tonight and were floored at how many breaks the Yankees got. Eric Cooper's negligent call in the sixth that would have ended the inning by doubling off Bobby Abreu was a joke. Cooper had all but completed the 'safe' motion before the ball or the baserunner arrived, as if he'd decided what the call was before it even happened.

That and they would give Yankee pitchers pretty much anything they wanted as a strike.

I didn't see the same game, apparently. Konerko's foot wasn't on the bag when Abreu got back, so it's an easy call even if Abreu may have been deflected from touching the bag. And Moose wasn't getting balls called strikes from my vantage point. I wouldn't say it was well-umpired -- the strike zone was not consistent -- but I wouldn't rail against it. I've seen a LOT worse.

And it doesn't matter -- we won the game!! Great win.

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!