The Marlins...Again!

beautox

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason that they are still in contention is because the NL is awful. They're 7 games under .500, it's not like they're kicking ass. They'd be 14.5 games behind the White Sox in the AL Wildcard race, which would put them 8th behind Seattle. Even the NL Wildcard-leading Reds would be 10 back and tied for 5th with the Angels.

That said, they are better than I expected. On paper they looked like they'd be competing for the worst record in baseball. However, they still only have 54 wins. One bad week and they could be in last by a few games.

Girardi will end up traded to the Cubs for a couple prospects this offseason IMO.

My brother told me they'd want Big Z and then look to flip him somewhere else for a big package

I think that the marlins are capable of pulling off winning the wild card, but i think that huston will manage to win it again since they are only out 1.5 now i believe and have been on a hot streak going 8-2 in their last 10.

Since when did Josh Huston get his own team?? :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta love their young pitching. Olsen, Willis, Johnson, Sanchez and a bullpen with Tankersley looking like a real find.

Then you have Cabrera and Ramirez on the left side...And then some guy named Dan Uggla comes up, takes over at 2nd base, and has become one of the games best there...Olivo has seen his career resurge down there and they have an adequate first baseman.

Their issues right now are in the outfield....it's a very weak outfield. Ross is a solid role player at best, but he's been their best guy. Hermida is a fine young prospect, but he probably should still be in AAA...for a corner fielder, he is hitting for little power and is at about .260 average...not ready.

They traded off proven vets for some terrific young kids...they'll do it again in about 3 years after they win another title.

Gotta love their young pitching. Olsen, Willis, Johnson, Sanchez and a bullpen with Tankersley looking like a real find.

Then you have Cabrera and Ramirez on the left side...And then some guy named Dan Uggla comes up, takes over at 2nd base, and has become one of the games best there...Olivo has seen his career resurge down there and they have an adequate first baseman.

Their issues right now are in the outfield....it's a very weak outfield. Ross is a solid role player at best, but he's been their best guy. Hermida is a fine young prospect, but he probably should still be in AAA...for a corner fielder, he is hitting for little power and is at about .260 average...not ready.

They traded off proven vets for some terrific young kids...they'll do it again in about 3 years after they win another title.

They're going to have to do this until they get a new stadium

• 2 weeks later...

Ruh Roh! the marlins are 3 games back of the WC and 3 games under .500, and are on a 7 game winning streak, their young arms still haven't tired, and they're improbable playoff hopes are still alive. There are 4 teams ahead of them San Francisco, Philadelphia, San Diego & Cincinnati. Can the marlins make the playoffs?

Edited by beautox

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
I think they can pass San Fran and San Diego... the Phillies and Reds might be tough.

I'm inclinded to agree with you but....The Phillies are now missing both Rowand and Gordon, and outside of Hamels, Myers & Moyer they dont have anyone.

As for the reds who knows :)

Intresting point about the Marlins last week of baseball this year the WC could be won or lost @ home they have 3 with the reds and 2 with the Phillies to finish the season. it will be an intense last week if they're still in the race.

They've got 33 games left and they're only 2 back in the loss column, i wouldn't count them out just yet. I would love to see them make the post season this year. Can you imagine the controversy that would cause?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
You are forgetting that this is the NL we are talking about.... 3 games and only 2 in the loss column is not much.

Yes, but you're also forgetting that this is the NL. There's only 1 really decent team there, which means that the odds of having what happened to the Red Sox, complete demolition of one of those contenders, happen to the teams in front of the Marlins is also pretty unlikely.

There's just no obvious juggernaut that is going to come steamrolling through and kill off one or two of those teams to make things easier. The Marlins look to be about a .500 team this year, but so do a lot of other teams, and it doesn't look like any of those teams are bad enough to just fall out of it.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 02:10 AM)
You are forgetting that this is the NL we are talking about.... 3 games and only 2 in the loss column is not much.

No, I am not.

I don't give a s*** if the league is talented as hell or pisspoor all-around...if you are 3 games back, and there are 4 teams in front of you, your odds of making it are very small.

We may as well be talking about Arizona, Houston, Milwaukee, Atlanta, or Colorado here. They are all within 5.5 games, the same deficit of the Sox in the Central and the Red Sox in the Wild Card. The problem for the Marlins is that they have to play not only 3 games better than the Phils, Reds, Giants, and Pads, but they also can't play 3 games worse than those 5 I mentioned above. They'd have to far and away be the best team from this point on to win the Wild Card, and that's just not likely to happen.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
Even if the Marlins don't make the playoffs, this has been a great season for them.

Great's an understatement.

Given, I don't think they are anywhere near .500 without the NL being as absolutely horrible as it is, but it's still really cool that a team can just absolutely dismantle itself other than the 2 pieces they want to build around, and still compete for a playoff spot. If this doesn't send a message to the Pirates, Royals, and Devil Rays, nothing ever will. You can compete, and you can compete with nothing for a payroll, so long as you have good scouting and a good manager. I suppose Larry Beinfest being a pretty good GM helps too.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
Great's an understatement.

Given, I don't think they are anywhere near .500 without the NL being as absolutely horrible as it is, but it's still really cool that a team can just absolutely dismantle itself other than the 2 pieces they want to build around, and still compete for a playoff spot. If this doesn't send a message to the Pirates, Royals, and Devil Rays, nothing ever will. You can compete, and you can compete with nothing for a payroll, so long as you have good scouting and a good manager. I suppose Larry Beinfest being a pretty good GM helps too.

The Devil Rays are in a worse position than anybody else in baseball, IMO. They are never going to compete in that division with so many enormous payrolls in front of them. It's nice to think that one day they'll get into the playoffs, but it'll never, ever happen.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
The Devil Rays are in a worse position than anybody else in baseball, IMO. They are never going to compete in that division with so many enormous payrolls in front of them. It's nice to think that one day they'll get into the playoffs, but it'll never, ever happen.

Not without ownership spending money or a salary floor or cap put into place. It just won't happen.

A good start would be to stop being a horrible organization. Something's gotta be wrong if everyone hates playing for you. Try spending some money, try bringing in some good character players instead of going talent every.friggin.time. Try to actually trade and make some good relationships with teams(they atleast started to do a little bit of that this year). Try building a market for some fans. Hell, try a goddamn name change. Who the hell wants to be a Devil Ray?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
I now have a man-crush on Josh Johnson.

Is he going to continue being this good throughout his career?

And who else has a shot at the NL ROY?

Who doesn't?

Dan Uggla, Hanley Ramirez, Andre Ethier, Chris Duncan (longshot)...does Zimmerman qualify?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
I'd say that it's Ethier or Johnson out of those choices.

I think Uggla's on par with those 2, considering his position and the fact that he's been up longer than Ethier. But I'd probably go with Johnson in the end. I wub my starters.