Country star accused of killing tame bear

BigSqwert

LINK

DULUTH, Minn. - Troy Lee Gentry, of the country singing duo Montgomery Gentry, has been accused of killing a tame black bear that federal officials say he tagged as killed in the wild.

Gentry, 39, of Franklin, Tenn., and Lee Marvin Greenly, 46, of Sandstone, appeared Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Raymond Erickson in connection with a sealed indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Minneapolis.

Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly’s property in October 2004.

The government alleges that Gentry and Greenly tagged the bear with a Minnesota hunting license and registered the animal with the state Department of Natural Resources as a wild kill.

Gentry allegedly paid about $4,650 for the bear, named Cubby. The bear’s death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a “fair chase” hunting situation, the government alleges.

If convicted, both Gentry and Greenly face a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison and a $20,000 fine.

Gentry’s manager, Johnny Dorris, said Wednesday that Gentry, an outdoorsman and hunter, expects to be exonerated.

Gentry “relied on the knowledge and expertise of a local guide to obtain the proper permit,” Dorris said in a written statement. “Troy felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment.”

Greenly did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Montgomery Gentry, along with co-singer Eddie Montgomery, are known for hits such as “My Town” and “If You Ever Stop Loving Me.”

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
This man is one of the greatest heros in American History. Those bears may be playing tame, but deep down they remain Godless Killing Machines. Those country stars have helped save America.

Nicely done.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 16, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
First of all, it sucks for the guide (even though he sounds like a douche) because Gentry is going to just blame it all on him. He'll probably get away with this with a slap on the wrist.

Second, Gentry is a pussy. A bow and arrow? A real man would've used this:

poorly_fashioned_cane.jpg

:huh:

A really long turd? How would one use that to kill a bear?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 16, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
First of all, it sucks for the guide (even though he sounds like a douche) because Gentry is going to just blame it all on him. He'll probably get away with this with a slap on the wrist.

Second, Gentry is a pussy. A bow and arrow? A real man would've used this:

poorly_fashioned_cane.jpg

The bear would have passed away from a heart attack upon seeing such a poorly fashioned cane.

I hope they didn't spend too much on the four year investigation.

Now, I have to wonder, why is it ok to kill a wild bear, but not a tame bear? We could have our cute little cat put down, but not a bear? WTF? Should they have strapped him down, sedated him and killed him via lethal injection? Come to think of that, that would be a cool video.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 10:53 PM)
I doubt you could put your pet cat/dog in a cage and videotape yourself shooting it with a bow and arrow and say you were just putting it down.

Why should a tame bear somehow receive more protection than a wild bear? If a wild bear was cornered in a pen, it would have been legal to shoot. Did this bear somehow become a citizen and now has a different set of rights? GMAB, this is a waste of government money.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 07:35 AM)
Why should a tame bear somehow receive more protection than a wild bear? If a wild bear was cornered in a pen, it would have been legal to shoot. Did this bear somehow become a citizen and now has a different set of rights? GMAB, this is a waste of government money.

A wild bear is legal to shoot if it is locked in a pen? I think that this is an issue of the "sport" of hunting. I know hunting in itself is pretty cruel and inhumane, but at least wild bears have a sense to run away, that tame bear probably just stood there and let it happen.

Either way, it was a pretty lame thing to do to get a trophy on your wall. If you want to brag about a kill, at least have the balls to go out and hunt for it.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 07:51 AM)
A wild bear is legal to shoot if it is locked in a pen? I think that this is an issue of the "sport" of hunting. I know hunting in itself is pretty cruel and inhumane, but at least wild bears have a sense to run away, that tame bear probably just stood there and let it happen.

Either way, it was a pretty lame thing to do to get a trophy on your wall. If you want to brag about a kill, at least have the balls to go out and hunt for it.

You know? Really?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 07:51 AM)

You go out to your farm or ranch and a bear is in your pen, of course you can kill it in the pen. What would be the alternatives? Say shoo, please go away? Wait until it tears up your property or kills some livestock?

I agree it is a lame way to harvest a bear in this way, but is it criminal and should there be charges years after? I don't think so.

Which is more cruel and inhumane, our factories that turn out t-bones and ground beef, or the harvesting of wild game? Do you also have a problem with killing a tame cow? A tame chicken? A tame pig?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 08:21 AM)
You go out to your farm or ranch and a bear is in your pen, of course you can kill it in the pen. What would be the alternatives? Say shoo, please go away? Wait until it tears up your property or kills some livestock?

I agree it is a lame way to harvest a bear in this way, but is it criminal and should there be charges years after? I don't think so.

Which is more cruel and inhumane, our factories that turn out t-bones and ground beef, or the harvesting of wild game? Do you also have a problem with killing a tame cow? A tame chicken? A tame pig?

Hell no, those are all really tasty :bang