The Ozzie Guillen Battleground Thread

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 01:49 AM)
Brian is hitting right at or over .300 for almost two months now. Why shouldn't be be in CF everyday? I could understand it back in April/May when he looked like this guy named Scott Podsednik at the plate. Our pitching sucks. One of the ways to neutralize our s***ty pitching is to play great defense. You can't do that with Mack in center. Period.

This thread can end with this post, says it all perfectly....

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
Yes, and that was a mistake by Ozzie, and now he's hitting great and he benches him?? another mistake by Ozzie. The kid has the game of his life in the 10-0 route at Detroit and then come home and bench the guy, what kind of message is that????? In yesterday's game MN only went up 5-1 due to a ball way over Mak's head that BA at least would have had a shot at (as would Rowand;-). The defense wins championships philosophy is either there or it's not, and if Ozzie practices what he preaches BA and Uribe start, period. He stuck with the guy when he was struggling, supposedly for his D, so what in G's name can be the reason not to play him now???

Anyone know BA's avg in the second half, we know it's good, but I never see it stated by anyone?

Guillen's handling of Anderson, choosing which pitchers he faces, is a big reason why he has blossomed. Sure, it sucks to have Mackowiak in center at times, but that's the price you pay to make sure Anderson develops properly. You could blame Williams for not furnishing Guillen with a better alternative than Mackowiak in center.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:33 AM)
Guillen's handling of Anderson, choosing which pitchers he faces, is a big reason why he has blossomed. Sure, it sucks to have Mackowiak in center at times, but that's the price you pay to make sure Anderson develops properly. You could blame Williams for not furnishing Guillen with a better alternative than Mackowiak in center.

I can understand Anderson not being hitting against some of the tougher right handed SP but besides that he should be out there everyday. And even than if it was me id personally still play Anderson unless he was due for an off day.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 06:33 PM)

Amen.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)

So platooning Anderson against lefties when he hits righties much better helped his development? Explain that one to me.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 06:17 PM)
So platooning Anderson against lefties when he hits righties much better helped his development? Explain that one to me.

Explain to me how keeping Anderson on the bench for 4 of the first 6 games against the Tigers and Twins, so that we lose way too many of those games, helps too.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)

Anderson's not being platooned. For example Silva, last I checked, is a right-hander.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
Anderson's not being platooned. For example Silva, last I checked, is a right-hander.

You said that the way Ozzie handled Anderson is the reason why he has blossomed. Earlier in the year he was being platooned with Mack, thus I don't get how Ozzie has handled Anderson well. If we're talking about the present then you don't need to look much further than this weekend to figure out that Ozzie still has no clue when it comes to how good of a player Anderson has become.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)

For what it's worth I am in your corner on this one. I find the Ozzie bashing shocking. I don't care who is managing. I don't care what decisions he makes. He will get fried on this site. And I don't mean to cast aspertions on Soxtalk. It is the nature of the internet media beast. It's just so easy to fall into substantive hindsight. Ozzie likes to play the odds, and yet he is also governed by his intuitions. He is able to confidently fly in the face of a computer readout whenever it suits him. I trust his intuitions. Leading a team to the world championship will do that. Some have suggested he sat on his ass while the starting pitchers did the work. This is incredibly disrespectful to the manager, who among other things, tries to get the most out of his players. I have been a passionate fan of the White Sox for 45 years. Senor Lopez was fantastic. I loved LaRussa's intelligence as well (it's not easy for me so say nice things about lawyers). But my favorite manager is Ozzie. Not only did he pull off what no one else could do, he did it with more style, panache and pure entertainment value than all of the rest of them put together. I have this sneaking feeling that he might not manage for all that long. To me he is the type of guy to throw his hands up in the air at some point and say 'oo the 'ell needs theese'. Whoever succeeds him will be a lot more boring. And as soon as his players don't have career years you can bet he too will be picked apart like fresh roadkill at a buzzard's lu'au.

Edited by ottawa_sox

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
Why are Riske and Cotts on the roster then? Riske has been solid, btw, and you're acting like he's Cliff Pollitte.

All relief pitchers are not equal. Since Cotts and Riske are worse than McCarthy, MacDougal, Thornton and Jenks, the smarter (and obvious) move would have been to use them to finish such an important and winnable ballgame.

Win or lose, Ozzie needed to go with his best.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 08:34 PM)
You said that the way Ozzie handled Anderson is the reason why he has blossomed. Earlier in the year he was being platooned with Mack, thus I don't get how Ozzie has handled Anderson well. If we're talking about the present then you don't need to look much further than this weekend to figure out that Ozzie still has no clue when it comes to how good of a player Anderson has become.

Guillen has been nothing short of extraordinary in developing Anderson this year. Anderson was lost at the plate for much of the first half of the season. To make the transition to being the tough out he's become is remarkable. His development remains a work-in-progress, but kudos to Ozzie for understanding how important Anderson is to the near future of this team and not throwing him completely into the fire.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
Guillen has been nothing short of extraordinary in developing Anderson this year. Anderson was lost at the plate for much of the first half of the season. To make the transition to being the tough out he's become is remarkable. His development remains a work-in-progress, but kudos to Ozzie for understanding how important Anderson is to the near future of this team and not throwing him completely into the fire.

I want to hear why though, that's what I don't understand. When he was struggling, he started to platoon he and Mack. The problem there is that Anderson is much better against right handed pitching than left handed pitching. Now that Anderson has become one of the more consistant hitters on this team as of late, not to mention one of the better defensive cf's in baseball, he gets sat in 2 games against the team we're battling with in the wild card race.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
Again, if Riske can't be trusted to get an out in the 6th inning, he should not be on the roster. Your problem is with Kenny Williams.

Agreed, but when KW has given Ozzie 4 better relief pitchers to use, and he calls for Cotts and Riske, your problem is with Ozzie Guillen.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 01:47 AM)

I've always learned that if a player is going well, you keep playing him. Maybe I was just taught wrong.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 07:24 PM)

More importantly, since June 11 (the game in which he had a ninth inning homer against Cleveland), he has posted a .287 BA with an OBP of .339 and OPS of .791. He has been productive for much more of the season than his ineffective first few months.

And yet he still sits every third game. Since the All-Star break, BA has started 28 games in center, Mack 14. Why would you ever sit a gold-glove caliber center fielder who's hitting .300 that often down the stretch?

I honestly would like to hear the logic behind that. Somebody needs to interview Ozzie, and not just ask why Mack has started over BA so often despite Mack turning around his offense numbers in early June, but present the numbers to Ozzie. He really needs to defend the indefensible, and hopefully one of his kids will read his quotes back to him so Ozzie understands how ridiculous any argument in support of his decision making sounds.

QUOTE(Damen @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:55 AM)
More importantly, since June 11 (the game in which he had a ninth inning homer against Cleveland), he has posted a .287 BA with an OBP of .339 and OPS of .791. He has been productive for much more of the season than his ineffective first few months.

And yet he still sits every third game. Since the All-Star break, BA has started 28 games in center, Mack 14. Why would you ever sit a gold-glove caliber center fielder who's hitting .300 that often down the stretch?

I honestly would like to hear the logic behind that. Somebody needs to interview Ozzie, and not just ask why Mack has started over BA so often despite Mack turning around his offense numbers in early June, but present the numbers to Ozzie. He really needs to defend the indefensible, and hopefully one of his kids will read his quotes back to him so Ozzie understands how ridiculous any argument in support of his decision making sounds.

Yep. Ozzie is costing this team games with his waffling on BA. Anderson has been a solid hitter for two months now and he's one of the better defensive CF in all of baseball-- WTF is he thinking trotting the incapable of tracking down a ball Mackowiak out there so damn much?

Not much. Guillen needs to be informed that BA is the CF of tommorow and today.