AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER

Balta1701

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even want to think about where this team would be without Jon Garland right now. Pure and utter dominance today. Can you believe his era is at 4.47 now? Can he get it under 4? That would be miraculous when you consider how he started the season.

Jermaine Dye: You're a very good baseball player.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

At some point Jon and Cy Young have to be talked about. He's tied for second in wins, but his ERA will probably keep discussion to a minimum unless something magical happens between now and the end of the season

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
At some point Jon and Cy Young have to be talked about. He's tied for second in wins, but his ERA will probably keep discussion to a minimum unless something magical happens between now and the end of the season

Jon would have to pitch like he is now for the rest of the season to even be in the discussion. We'd also have to get into the playoffs.

Nate Robertson entered July at 8-3 with a 3.14 ERA. He is now 11-10 with a 4.10 ERA. Regression to the means is a biatch.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
Jon would have to pitch like he is now for the rest of the season to even be in the discussion. We'd also have to get into the playoffs.

He'd have to keep up this pace he's on now, which means he'd finish about 20-5 with an ERA of 3.80 or so. Still a long shot.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
Goddamn do I love Jon Garland.

It's days like these that make me happy we endured those days of 2003 suckitude

We forget, he came up fast. It is easy to believe he hasn't even reached his prime. The next 5-8 years could be special.

Great game all around. Pitching, offense, and defense. We left on this 7 game roadtrip 6.5 out, go 3-4, and come home 5.5 out. Sure it could have been better, but it is what it is and I'll take it. Good momentum going into the Twins series, and call me crazy if you want, but I have a strange feeling Vazquez is gonna pitch a gem.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
He'd have to keep up this pace he's on now, which means he'd finish about 20-5 with an ERA of 3.80 or so. Still a long shot.

For Garland to get to an ERA of 3.8, he'd have to give up roughly 3 runs in his next 50 innings. He should have about 7 starts left.

QUOTE(Bonderman38 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
Wins should mean nothing for Cy Young's. There are people like Bonderman who could have 16 or 17, but have 10 or 11 because of poor run support. Same goes the other way.

Anyhow, Tigers sucked today. End of story.

The reason it's called the "CY YOUNG" award is because the player it's named after had more wins than anyone in history. It would be ignorant to say that W's mean nothing.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
The reason it's called the "CY YOUNG" award is because the player it's named after had more wins than anyone in history. It would be ignorant to say that W's mean nothing.

Rolaids Relief is named after an antacid . . .

I do agree though, winning is the name of the game.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)

I luv Jon, but no way...maybe if various team planes of other contenders crash, but even then only it can't be a post-mortem award...

QUOTE(Bonderman38 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
Wins should mean nothing for Cy Young's. There are people like Bonderman who could have 16 or 17, but have 10 or 11 because of poor run support. Same goes the other way.

How about for a guy with a line of 8-1 2.69 ERA 1.19 WHIP 4.39 K/9 and nearly a 4 K/BB since the beginning of July, while also being the only form of consistent(ly good) pitching on his entire team?

15-4 looks a hell of a lot better when you consider how pisspoor he started out th year.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)

I must have typoed. I mean to say wins SHOULDN'T win anything.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
I luv Jon, but no way...maybe if various team planes of other contenders crash, but even then only it can't be a post-mortem award...

I just meant to be in the discussion. He would have to throw 5 or 6 more complete game shut-outs to actually have a chance at winning it.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
How about for a guy with a line of 8-1 2.69 ERA 1.19 WHIP 4.39 K/9 and nearly a 4 K/BB since the beginning of July, while also being the only form of consistent(ly good) pitching on his entire team?

15-4 looks a hell of a lot better when you consider how pisspoor he started out th year.

And all that has come against good hitting teams. Even the Royals.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006