AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER

Balta1701

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
i just want him to keep pitching good and have the other pitchers start pitching at least a little better.

All the other pitchers have to do is pitch pretty average the rest of the year. I'm talking about a 4-4.5 ERA for most starts with a couple gems tossed in there.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Jon Garland is now 33-14 with a 3.92 ERA since opening day 2005, and was 1-0 with a 2.25 ERA in 2 starts in the playoffs last year. Now I'm not picking fights, but if that's not an ace I'm not sure what is.

He's not an ace. But he's certainly worth the contract he was given. It's actually a bargain when you consider his age, the fact that he's never even sniffed the DL, and the current market for starting pitching.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Jon Garland is now 33-14 with a 3.92 ERA since opening day 2005, and was 1-0 with a 2.25 ERA in 2 starts in the playoffs last year. Now I'm not picking fights, but if that's not an ace I'm not sure what is.

Ehhhhh, a 3.92 ERA is good and all, but that's not "ace" worthy.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)

In the AL thats definately the definition of an ace. My guess is Johan is about the only guy with an ERA better than Jon's since the start of last year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
In the AL thats definately the definition of an ace. My guess is Johan is about the only guy with an ERA better than Jon's since the start of last year.

in the NL he would be sub 3. Check out Arroyo for proof of the difference.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
At some point Jon and Cy Young have to be talked about. He's tied for second in wins, but his ERA will probably keep discussion to a minimum unless something magical happens between now and the end of the season

He would have to finish with an ERA around 3.50 to have a shot. It will be tough to beat Johan and Verlander, Johan might win the triple crown.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)

He has a 3.92 and that includes the horrible period he had from opening day until early June. I know that time still counts, but he went through what will IMO be the worst 9 weeks of his career, and still has that number.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)
I don't even want to think about where this team would be without Jon Garland right now. Pure and utter dominance today. Can you believe his era is at 4.47 now? Can he get it under 4? That would be miraculous when you consider how he started the season.

Jermaine Dye: You're a very good baseball player.

If Garland does get his ERA under 4 then by simple interpolation you would figure he would be a candidate to win his first Cy Young, cause he would have to keep his runs per game at under 2 in his remaining starts. I figure he has 7 or 8 more starts. Say he wins 5 or 6 and loses one, that would be a 21 and 5 record. Halladay might be too far ahead, but Garland has been absolutely lights out. He's got to cool off at some point.

Lets do a little math just for kicks:

if Garland has 8 more starts and averages 2 runs per game his runs allowed total will be about 98 total runs for the year. Assuming he pitches 8 full innings he will have about 230 innings pitched which will bring the ERA down to 3.83 for the year. I never in a million years figured he had a shot at such numbers considering how poorly he started. Let's start a grass roots effort "Garland for Cy Young".

Just to be realistic if Garland does not get the ERA under 4, there's no way in hell that he would even be considered, regardless of his record.

Edited by cgaudin

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
He would have to finish with an ERA around 3.50 to have a shot. It will be tough to beat Johan and Verlander, Johan might win the triple crown.

If Jon averaged 8 innings per start in his next 7 starts, and gave up exactly 2 runs the rest of the season, he'd get his ERA down to 3.5. In other words, you're talking about him throwing 5 or 6 shutouts.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
If Jon averaged 8 innings per start in his next 7 starts, and gave up exactly 2 runs the rest of the season, he'd get his ERA down to 3.5. In other words, you're talking about him throwing 5 or 6 shutouts.

That would be ridiculous if he did do that. However, he's due for a bad start or two considering how dominate he's been. Either way, he doesn't need to win the Cy Young, let him do what he's been doing and I'll be darn happy.

He's my favorite pitcher on the staff and one of my favorites in all of baseball. He usually keeps the club in the games and puts faith in his defense while also fielding his position well all while working deep into games. Oh and he pitches quickly.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)

So you think taking him for 2 PG's the remainder of this year is a stretch.... :huh

;)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
That would be ridiculous if he did do that. However, he's due for a bad start or two considering how dominate he's been. Either way, he doesn't need to win the Cy Young, let him do what he's been doing and I'll be darn happy.

He's my favorite pitcher on the staff and one of my favorites in all of baseball. He usually keeps the club in the games and puts faith in his defense while also fielding his position well all while working deep into games. Oh and he pitches quickly.

I just like him because he's the kind of pitcher that can be successful for a long time. He gets people out with location, movement, and all kinds of jam shots and ground balls. Plus, he has an easy motion and doesn't have to overthrow, so should be able to stay healthy as he has in the past.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Are you implying we don't want Thome back? Just wondering.

I'm implying that a batting order shakeup is overdue, and that it's time to look at the lineup moving into the home stretch.

Meaning: out with Pods, in with whomever.

With regard to Thome, I was curious to see and still am curious to see how the team reacts when you take away the "power" lineup with him and Konerko batting 3/4. Interesting.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
He's not an ace. But he's certainly worth the contract he was given. It's actually a bargain when you consider his age, the fact that he's never even sniffed the DL, and the current market for starting pitching.

JGINAA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! :chair

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
Where do you want Thome to bat against a lefthanded starter?

Are you saying you want him out of the lineup?

Batting sixth, seventh?

sixth sounds good, maybe 4th. You can twist it around all you want, PODS, gooch and Thome are atrocious vs LHP. With them in order against LHP you can insert a LOOGY and get all of them. Detroit couldnt do that today with Dye in the 3 hole, and they walked him to get to kong. That wouldnt have happened with Thome in there. Oh and Dye is our best hitter with RISP>