And that's a White Sox loser

Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 06:17 PM)
^^^

Even though the Sox played an ugly series, they won two of three, got a quality start out of Javy (when was the last time that happened?), got a decent outing out of Garland, and captured the WC lead. A sweep would've been nice, but it's unrealistic to expect one... even against the Devil Rays. It wasn't pretty, but they won the series. That's good enough for me.

That's the same stuff I heard after complaining about the sox only taking 2/3 from the Cubs and Pirates earlier this season, or the split with KC.

These are the teams they need to sweep. If they miss the playoffs, it'll be because they can't beat really bad teams.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
PK said in the paper he doesn't like to DH, as he gets fatigued from swinging so much in between innings. Since he's a vastly superior defensive player to Gload, we need to keep him on the field.

That has got to be one of THE DUMBEST-ASS things I've ever heard!

"Hey doc...it hurts when I do this.

Doc: "Well don't do that dumbass!..."

Konerko is ONLY effective when he uses the entire field. You see glimmers of hope with him this year like when he took a Rivera cutter to right for a homer in the 9th. But like a bunch of you have said...everything is trying to be pulled.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
Yeah, me too. Anderson has been great scince the ASG given the opportunity. But that is the problem, he doesn't get enough playing time.

BA has his moments but he fails too often to get runners over or in with less than two outs. Some pitchers still make him look absolutely lost.

I know it's an improvement over where he was in the first half and I'm glad to see it - but when I see how some other rookies around the league have contributed to their team I can't help but feel that he's been a disappointment. Even he has said as much. And his terrific defense can't gloss over it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
Although it was a better gamble than earlier failures, Joey Cora has another guy thrown out at home today. It has to be getting close to a record.

And like clockwork, the guy who would have been up next got a hit.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
It shouldn't be. It would have been good enough in 05. Not this year. I hate being like this, but that is the situation at hand.

Our pitching was also a hundred times better last year than it is now. Given that, I'll take 2/3 against the D-Rays.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
That's the same stuff I heard after complaining about the sox only taking 2/3 from the Cubs and Pirates earlier this season, or the split with KC.

These are the teams they need to sweep. If they miss the playoffs, it'll be because they can't beat really bad teams.

Sweeps are icing on the cake and it's unreasonable to expect the Sox (or any other team) to sweep anybody... even the bottom-feeders. Winning each series is a more reasonable goal. If the Sox win 2/3 of their next 29 games, they'll end up with 97 wins. That'll almost certainly get them the Wild Card... and possibly the division title if the Tigers continue to suck.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
Our pitching was also a hundred times better last year than it is now. Given that, I'll take 2/3 against the D-Rays.

Sweeps are icing on the cake and it's unreasonable to expect the Sox (or any other team) to sweep anybody... even the bottom-feeders. Winning each series is a more reasonable goal. If the Sox win 2/3 of their next 29 games, they'll end up with 97 wins. That'll almost certainly get them the Wild Card... and possibly the division title if the Tigers continue to suck.

The other side of that token though is this...if we were to sweep a team, that leaves us room to go 1/3 against a team, say Minnesota, or Detroit, or Oakland, etc., and still be able to come up with 97 wins.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
The other side of that token though is this...if we were to sweep a team, that leaves us room to go 1/3 against a team, say Minnesota, or Detroit, or Oakland, etc., and still be able to come up with 97 wins.

Agreed, but my point of contention has to do with people expecting sweeps and throwing a hissy-fit when it doesn't happen.

We're basically a 6 or 7 man team right now. If Crede, Dye, Garland, MacDougal, or Thornton don't play a big part in the game, we haven't been very good. Guys like PK, Anderson, Thome, and Thornton have had their moments, but they've either been too inconsistent or failed in clutch situations.

I just don't see how Thome can be put in the group of those who have either

been too inconsistent or failed in clutch situations.

I will say, it's interesting how our organization was WRONG about Frank Thomas.

He's had a pretty damn good year and from what I've read is a fan favorite there

and sparking them to the division title.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
I just don't see how Thome can be put in the group of those who have either

been too inconsistent or failed in clutch situations.

I will say, it's interesting how our organization was WRONG about Frank Thomas.

He's had a pretty damn good year and from what I've read is a fan favorite there

and sparking them to the division title.

Never doubted Frank for a second. The only question was his health.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
Now that I have calmed down a bit since this afternoon, lets look at the big picture. IMO Minny, Detroit and us all have similar schedules. Us being on the road more is really the only big setback. While I understand it isnt last year, after 05, the West Coast doesnt scare me nearly as much as it used to.

Now, lets imagine what it feels like in other fans shoes. The only reason Detroit didnt get swept out of NY was because of rain. If Big Mo goes in game 2, its over.

The Twins probably have lost Radke for the year, and if he does come back, it will probably hurt the Twins more than it helps. I really think he is done. Santana was the only one that could have saved them from a sweep at home from the Royals. A rotation of Santana-Silva-Garza-Boosner-Baker down the stretch doesnt send chills down my spine.

If I am being biased, tell me, but I really dont think I am.

i really think you are right. even though i hate this team every other game, i really do think we will end up winning the division. i watched every one of the tiger games and their offense is just so unimpressive.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 01:31 AM)
Now that I have calmed down a bit since this afternoon, lets look at the big picture. IMO Minny, Detroit and us all have similar schedules. Us being on the road more is really the only big setback. While I understand it isnt last year, after 05, the West Coast doesnt scare me nearly as much as it used to.

Now, lets imagine what it feels like in other fans shoes. The only reason Detroit didnt get swept out of NY was because of rain. If Big Mo goes in game 2, its over.

The Twins probably have lost Radke for the year, and if he does come back, it will probably hurt the Twins more than it helps. I really think he is done. Santana was the only one that could have saved them from a sweep at home from the Royals. A rotation of Santana-Silva-Garza-Boosner-Baker down the stretch doesnt send chills down my spine.

The Twins also have a couple of guys -- namely Nick Punto, Jason Bartlett, and Jason Tyner -- who are playing well over their heads right now. And, while a month of games isn't too much, I can't see all three of these guys continuing to hit .300+, even if it is without any slugging whatsoever.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
The Twins probably have lost Radke for the year, and if he does come back, it will probably hurt the Twins more than it helps.

today per the bottom line it said that he was going to pitch again this season...let's hope it hurts the team.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
f***ing joke.

How do you expect to win a playoff race when you lose to a team that is 1 for their last 22 on the road?

Greg Walker

QUOTE(Balance @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
Our offense just goes into hibernation against the worst pitching!

Greg Walker

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
The swings these players are taking in walkoff situations is absolutely embarrassing.

Greg Walker

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
f***ing pathetic effort all around.

You have a lead going into the 8th inning against the Devil Rays, you HAVE to finish off that game. You have to. Dionner (sp?) f***ing Navarro? Are you kidding me?

Sox hitters in the ninth and tenth had three times where we got ahead in the count. Lugo fell behind Pierzynski 3-0. McClung -- of the 110 hits in 90 IP ilk, not to mention a s***load of walks -- falls behind Mackowiak 3-0 and Podsednik 2-0. How many hits? None. McClung is horses***, and he mows us down 1-2-3, not even letting our MVP get a chance to swing the bat.

This is one terrible loss.

Greg Walker

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
Pull and lift.

Someone needs to tell Paulie Pull only that right field I repeat is not out.

Crappy no nothing pitchers that will get rocked their next start dominate us, because our guys are thinking Dan Ryan.

Nice job O. You really have done your job.

The best offense in baseball the first half, then poof we fell in love with the dong and we have been inconsistant since.

Greg Walker

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
Pods, plain and simple. He has looked terrible at the plate lately. You can't play the matchup game in that situation. BA should have had an opportunity to hit and Mac should have pinch hit for Pods

Greg Walker

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
A great day to capitalize on Detroit and they throw it away. Thank you offense GREAT job.

Greg Walker

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 01:31 AM)
A rotation of Santana-Silva-Garza-Boosner-Baker down the stretch doesnt send chills down my spine.

No I certainly don't think you're being biased. I wouldn't classify that as a top notch rotation by any stretch of the imagination. But somehow that team just continues to defy their talent. I saw today that Liriano has been throwing, has a bullpen session scheduled for Saturday, and will begin throwing breaking balls next week. He could very well come back for a couple starts at the end of September which could be huge given the importance of every single game.

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
I am putting every loss on Cora, he make me sick and he should be kicked out of the stadium if he tries to show up again...

Pods also makes me sick, he strikes out looking, swings half assed at first pitch with runners on third with 1 out, that is crap, where is willie harris?

Greg Walker

And for my last Leslie Nielson called strike....., it goes to Joe Cora. Sucked as a Sox player, and as a 3rd base coach.....

HE GONE!

What a dumb ass! Enough is enough already! E da ba in da air we Pauly ro ta de turd we gotta ga to go ho ?!?! What a piece of dung!

KW - Pls FIRE CORA NOW BEFORE IT COSTS US THE SEASON?

Harold Baines for President of 3rd base!

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)

I agree that as presently comprised, we're probably the best team in the Central. Detroit pitching is running out of gas and their offense is average to below average. Twins are just banged up. But I don't believe the schedules are similar; our's is more difficult.

Also, our offense is middle of the pack in the 2nd half.

QUOTE(PlunketChris @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
Let's take a gander at the positive... If we're still shooting for the division, we didn't lose any ground and Detriot has 3 with the Angels coming up.

The Twins pick up one on us, but are still behind, and have 3 against the fairly hot Yankees coming up.

We have 3 with the Royals coming up... The next 3 days can give us a nice buffer zone on the Twins and help us inch closer to The Tigers before we hit our more difficult end of the year.

ah, and this PlunketChris is where you error........you see, when the White Sox have an opportunity to distance themselves by facing "inferior" opponents while their competition has a tough series, things go the opposite of what is logical

e.g. our split with KC last time, or our scoring of unbelievably few runs against a Tampa staff that we should have absolutely annihilated. What we can then look forward to here, in line with opposite of expectations, is Detroit taking 2-3 from LAA, MN taking 2-3 from NY, and us losing 2-3 from a KC, thus putting us squarely back to 1/2 behind MN and 5.5 behind Det, progress of zero after two weeks....then we, the Chicago White Sox go on to face Clevelan, LAA, Oakland, Detroit for more lack of progress in the standings. At this point, we truly are playing to simply stay 1/2 gm ahead of MN on Oct 1st............

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)

good point, look back at the DRays 2nd half lots of 1-3 series against NY, Det, LAA, CLE, a sweep of a good TEX team, then getting swept by teams they shouldn't like Seattle and Baltimore, bottom line is they don't lose em all. However, the problem is we were a good asshair away from losing the two games we did win in this series, so it was a weak 2-3 rather than a solid series for the pale hose.....simply nothing to feel good about moving forward from this point.....

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
However, the problem is we were a good asshair away from losing the two games we did win in this series, so it was a weak 2-3 rather than a solid series for the pale hose.....

Agreed, but the bottom line is that we won the series. How many games did the Sox win by an "asshair" last season? A win is a win.

simply nothing to feel good about moving forward from this point.....

Given that our two worst starters took the mound in the D-Rays series and one of them actually put up a quality start, I'm not feeling that pessimistic. We also took over the WC lead in that series. I think that there's a lot to feel good about at this point.