Croc Hunter Steve Irwin Dies

DBAHO

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:05 AM)
I've been waiting years to see this guy get killed on the job. Every time I watched that show I was hoping to see the Croc rip him apart. I hope they release the footage of his final moments.

Sirius stock must have taken a hit today...

:crying

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
Well then.. excel good buddy.. excel.

:lolhitting

I'm hoping a stringray shoots Konerko in the ass and wakes him up.

I'm just being an ass. I feel real bad for his family. But these risks are just not smart. That's why I'm sitting in a cubicle right now.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)

I'm just being an ass. I feel real bad for his family. But these risks are just not smart. That's why I'm sitting in a cubicle right now.

Sissy.. :P

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)

the thing is from the sound of it, this was a case where he wasnt doing anything to provoke a stingray it was just an unfortunate accident...if on the other hand he died doing some of the other crazy things he has been known to do it wouldnt be that tragic

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
the thing is from the sound of it, this was a case where he wasnt doing anything to provoke a stingray it was just an unfortunate accident...if on the other hand he died doing some of the other crazy things he has been known to do it wouldnt be that tragic

If he was close enough to a sting-ray...he was doing something crazy...

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
If he was close enough to a sting-ray...he was doing something crazy...

Meh. Stingrays are generally docile creatures. One of the most deadly poisons a spider can carry is housed in the body of a daddy long legs. Of course we have no problem messing with them.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
Meh. Stingrays are generally docile creatures. One of the most deadly poisons a spider can carry is housed in the body of a daddy long legs. Of course we have no problem messing with them.

Daddy longlegs can't bite into human flesh. Can't get the mandibles around it.

True. Maybe it wasn't as anywhere near as crazy as the other things he's famous for doing, but he was still doing something fairly dangerous. Diving with sting rays isn't an everyday thing.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
STINGRAY FACTS

Marine fish related to the shark

Wingspan in different species ranges from 10 inches to 7 feet

Barb can be up to 12 inches

Lie buried in sand, and normally very shy and non-aggressive

Eat worms, mollusks and other invertebrates

Possess flexible tails armed, in most species, with saw-edged, venomous spines

Uses barb in self-defense when startled, threatened or cornered; venom causes excruciating pain, and serrated barb damages tissue when pulled out; large rays can exert enough force to drive their tail spines into a wooden boat

Most stings occur in shallow, coastal waters when swimmers step on a stingray

Fatal stings extremely rare, with only 17 recorded stingray deaths in Australia since 1969

If stingrays are near:

Shuffle feet in sand to scare stingrays away

If stung, soak affected area in extremely hot water to destroy venom

Seek medical attention immediately

Sources: Encyclopedia Britannica, Georgia Aquarium, infoplease.com, Surf Life Saving Queensland

I thought you were supposed to pee on it??

Does that take the place of the hot water? :D

Apparently they are docile until a crazy australian croc hunter is swimming over them.

News Flash: The ocean doesn't want us in it.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
Apparently they are docile until a crazy australian croc hunter is swimming over them.

News Flash: The ocean doesn't want us in it.

I completely agree.

It's gonna be a fun trip to Hawaii in a couple weeks.. LOL>

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)

Snopes

There is no reference to any pholcid spider biting a human and causing any detrimental reaction. If these spiders were indeed deadly poisonous but couldn't bite humans, then the only way we would know that they are poisonous is by milking them and injecting the venom into humans. For a variety of reasons including Amnesty International and a humanitarian code of ethics, this research has never been done. Furthermore, there are no toxicological studies testing the lethality of pholcid venom on any mammalian system (this is usually done with mice). Therefore, no information is available on the likely toxic effects of their venom in humans, so the part of the myth about their being especially poisonous is just that: a myth. There is no scientific basis for the supposition that they are deadly poisonous and there is no reason to assume that it is true.

I wonder if they will release the video. I heard on the radio that he was once quoted as saying that if it happened he wanted it on film. I'm sure it's brutal, but I might have to watch it if it's there

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
The ironic thing was that there was a rumor going around the University of Illinois campus in 2000 that he was killed in an animal accident.

That's going out on a limb...