Croc Hunter Steve Irwin Dies

DBAHO

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is footage of it. In the CNN article somebody talks about how they watched the video to see what exactly happened. But I would expect it to be like Brandon Lee's final footage, and that we will never see it.

RIP. The guy was wacky, but cool. Anybody who loves critters that much rules.

QUOTE(MinnesotaSoxFan @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 05:25 AM)
Apparently the barb went right into his heart, so you knew that he had to be dead right then. Atleast he died doing what he loved to do.

He actually pulled it out before passing out and dying. I wonder if he had left it in they may have been able to save him.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:04 AM)
He actually pulled it out before passing out and dying. I wonder if he had left it in they may have been able to save him.

Excellent point Steff. Rule of thumb in First Aid. If you aren't bleeding, leave it in. Get emergency help. Unfortunately, it is usually a reflex and people want it out.

Another tip I like, if you need to wash out an eye, if you can drink it, it can go in the eye. So Budweiser or that Bloody Mary can be used to irrigate an eye in an emergency. Of course use water if it's available.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:39 AM)
Excellent point Steff. Rule of thumb in First Aid. If you aren't bleeding, leave it in. Get emergency help. Unfortunately, it is usually a reflex and people want it out.

Another tip I like, if you need to wash out an eye, if you can drink it, it can go in the eye. So Budweiser or that Bloody Mary can be used to irrigate an eye in an emergency. Of course use water if it's available.

I'll add two points to this...

1. Stingrays have reverse barbs - so pulling it out would indeed have done more damage than leaving it in. That said, since it went through his heart anyway, I'd say his chances for survival went immediately to zero. And in Steve's defense, if you look down and see a 10 inch sword through your chest, you probably go into lizard brain mode pretty quick - not much intelligent thought going on there.

2. There is an exception to the rule about impaled objects, in case anyone ever encounters this... if the impaled object in any way hinders the victim's airway (i.e. it is through the mouth, or throat), then you do need to pull it out. Just be ready to treat for bleeding immediately.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

Excellent points.

Also, with bleeding of this type, when the first cloth, gauze, whatever is saturated, do not remove it. Keep it there and add another on top.

Anyone would have removed it. I watched a guy working an irrigation field and stick his hand in one of the pump housings to start the irrigation, he yelled ouch, and asked for a flashlight. He left his hand in there with the thing biting him to see what bit him. He figured he's have to tell the Doctor. It was a black widow spider. No way I could have left my hand there. He said it was the fourth or fifth time he had been bit by something nasty.

I asked him why he didn't get some good gloves when he was working the field, duh!

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
That surprises me. I thought they'd destroy the tape for sure. Wow.

Agreed. Wonder if they would of gotten in trouble if the tape was destroyed ASAP. Not sure if police wanted it for investigation or not.

Would hope the video is never released.

Someone sold Inside Edition the wedding video of the couple that was killed on that plane accident in Kentucky. I turned the channel to avoid even watching that.

I figured he would of died by a snake bite. I watched one special when he was walking around in Africa in the middle of the night and stumbled across some little wild colored snake on the edge of the road. He starts to f*** with it, and it turns and bites him. They then show he and his crew frantically trying to figure out what type of snake just bit him, how poisonous it is, and is there anti-venom for it. After a short bit, they find him and then Steve gives a thumbs up to the camera, "This little guy isnt that poisonous after all, which is good because we are at least 5 hours from anything here on foot".

Sad for his family. RIP Steve

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
Maybe they want it broadcast to show how dangerous these animals can be, even to a professional?

I know I wouldn't do it, but just saying that may be their reason.

Kinda like how Eddie would've wanted it that way...

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:39 AM)

Keep in mind that the barb from a sting ray is poisonous, so leaving it in would not have likely made any difference.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
Keep in mind that the barb from a sting ray is poisonous, so leaving it in would not have likely made any difference.

However it does not kill instantly. It's moot now, but the poison likely would not have killed him if they could have gotten him medical attention in a realistic time frame.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
However it does not kill instantly. It's moot now, but the poison likely would not have killed him if they could have gotten him medical attention in a realistic time frame.

The poison went direct to the heart. The poison would almost certainly have killed him, if the barb didn't.

All venoms fall into 2 categories - hemotoxins and neurotoxins. If this was a hemotoxin, getting all its barbs right through the heart, then all the body's ability to reduce the flow of it through the blood stream would be moot. Thats not even to mention that if its deep enough to hit the heart, then it got a LOT of surface area inside the body cavity, thus resulting in very large amounts of poison being presented. If it was a neurotoxin, it would have very quickly immobilized the twitching muscle of the heart, resulting in cardiac arrest.

He was dead either way.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
The poison went direct to the heart. The poison would almost certainly have killed him, if the barb didn't.

All venoms fall into 2 categories - hemotoxins and neurotoxins. If this was a hemotoxin, getting all its barbs right through the heart, then all the body's ability to reduce the flow of it through the blood stream would be moot. Thats not even to mention that if its deep enough to hit the heart, then it got a LOT of surface area inside the body cavity, thus resulting in very large amounts of poison being presented. If it was a neurotoxin, it would have very quickly immobilized the twitching muscle of the heart, resulting in cardiac arrest.

He was dead either way.

I'm just going from what a marine biologist stated that the amount of poison is ment to kill oceanlife much smaller than a human. Maybe he might have had a small amount of time. But like I said, it's moot now.

STINGRAY FACTS

Marine fish related to the shark

Wingspan in different species ranges from 10 inches to 7 feet

Barb can be up to 12 inches

Lie buried in sand, and normally very shy and non-aggressive

Eat worms, mollusks and other invertebrates

Possess flexible tails armed, in most species, with saw-edged, venomous spines

Uses barb in self-defense when startled, threatened or cornered; venom causes excruciating pain, and serrated barb damages tissue when pulled out; large rays can exert enough force to drive their tail spines into a wooden boat

Most stings occur in shallow, coastal waters when swimmers step on a stingray

Fatal stings extremely rare, with only 17 recorded stingray deaths in Australia since 1969

If stingrays are near:

Shuffle feet in sand to scare stingrays away

If stung, soak affected area in extremely hot water to destroy venom

Seek medical attention immediately

Sources: Encyclopedia Britannica, Georgia Aquarium, infoplease.com, Surf Life Saving Queensland