Ryan Sweeney

maggsmaggs

Seriously guys, if God was human, he would be Ryan Sweeney with a baseball bat, spikes and a Sox uniform. The kid is a stud and all the underacheiver label he got from scouts and such because his power hadn't come through yet is just garbage. The kid will hit at any level. Give up for the 21-year old who also is our best hitter now.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
Seriously guys, if God was human, he would be Ryan Sweeney with a baseball bat, spikes and a Sox uniform. The kid is a stud and all the underacheiver label he got from scouts and such because his power hadn't come through yet is just garbage. The kid will hit at any level. Give up for the 21-year old who also is our best hitter now.

I wouldn't be comparing Sweeney to the Almighty God, but he did look good last night. Hopefully he will keep it up today if he is in the lineup, which i heard he was but i'm not 100% sure he will be.

Edited by sayitaintso

Guest $I Need Money$

so after one game he is officially better than thome konerko dye crede or even podsednik? wow...

Edited by $I Need Money$

0-6, 2 k's

Please don't be surprised if Sweeney hits about .200 in his cup of coffee this year. That would be about right, consider the kind of season he had in the minors.

Sweeney may develop into a good major league player, but he isn't there yet. Frankly, I don't think he's even close.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
0-6, 2 k's

Please don't be surprised if Sweeney hits about .200 in his cup of coffee this year. That would be about right, consider the kind of season he had in the minors.

Sweeney may develop into a good major league player, but he isn't there yet. Frankly, I don't think he's even close.

He looks like a .270 hitter to me right now. Not much in the way of OPS...but .270/.330/.400 sure as hell wouldn't surprise me, and that's better than a lot of guys on the team can say.

Given, I have as much experience scouting baseball as all my future kids combined, but he looks good.

Going to put $$ on the fact you didnt catch the game tonight.

Then you'd lose your $$.

He looks like a .270 hitter to me right now. Not much in the way of OPS...but .270/.330/.400 sure as hell wouldn't surprise me, and that's better than a lot of guys on the team can say.

Given, I have as much experience scouting baseball as all my future kids combined, but he looks good.

It is a short stint and he won't be a regular, so it is a small sample size, but I think .240/.295/.340 is more likely. This guy has never hit well at any level above rookie league. He had a .721 OPS in A-ball in 2004. He followed that with a .738 OPS in a band box stadium in AA in 2005. He's showed some improvement this year up to a mediocre .802 OPS again in AA. Now he jumps all the way up to the majors and fans think he's going to succeed?

This isn't addressed to anyone in particular, but I hate it when fans see a "sweet swing" and a "good approach" and automatically think that a touted rookie is going to produce immediately. That's pretty damned rare. It is even more rare when a player's minor league performance wasn't particularly impressive. In fact, Sweeney's minor league performance was quite unimpressive.

Edited by SoxHawk1980

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
Then you'd lose your $$.

It is a short stint and he won't be a regular, so it is a small sample size, but I think .240/.295/.340 is more likely. This guy has never hit well at any level above rookie league. He had a .721 OPS in A-ball in 2004. He followed that with a .738 OPS in a band box stadium in AA in 2005. He's showed some improvement this year up to a mediocre .802 OPS again in AA. Now he jumps all the way up to the majors and fans think he's going to succeed?

This isn't addressed to anyone in particular, but I hate it when fans see a "sweet swing" and a "good approach" and automatically think that a touted rookie is going to produce immediately. That's pretty damned rare. It is even more rare when a player's minor league performance wasn't particularly impressive. In fact, Sweeney's minor league performance was quite unimpressive.

Uhh?????????

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
In fact, Sweeney's minor league performance was quite unimpressive.

Career .294 hitter in the minors while usually being the youngest player at every level isn't something I'd call unimpressive. Maybe not blue chip prospect, future superstar...but considering his mechanics and how young he truly is, I'd say it's pretty impressive.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
My mistake, I meant to say that his hitting wasn't that great in a band box stadium in AAA. An .802 OPS in that stadium is unimpressive.

We have enough guys with high OPS's on our team. How about a few guys who can hit for average, get on base, and allow those high OPS guys to drive in runs.

soxhawk what are you talking about?

He wont hit for power but he should hit for an acceptable avg.

I'll talk OBP, but not batting average. If he could manage about a .350 OBP in AA and AAA, what do you think that translates to in the majors? Not an acceptable OBP. Again, he might develop into a guy with a decent OBP, but I doubt we'll see much of that in his first cup of coffee.

It was nice to see Sweeney look like a hitter who could spray the ball all over the field. He's going to get stronger in the next few years, and that will help him avoid breaking bats so often, etc. He looks much, much better than our typical hitting prospect coming up from the minors.

We have enough guys with high OPS's on our team. How about a few guys who can hit for average, get on base, and allow those high OPS guys to drive in runs.

I don't mean this as an insult at all, but do you know what OPS is made of? It is a combination of OBP and SLG. It isn't just a power stat. I'd be more inclined to go along with you if Ryan had been a really good OBP guy in the minors (along with his poor power). But he hasn't been. .357 OBP in AA. .350 in AAA. That's an ok OBP, and that's it. He didn't draw a hell of a lot of walks (35 in 449 AB's). So what does that .350 OBP translate to in the majors? .300? We don't need any more batters like that. It is way too early to expect good things from Sweeney in the majors.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:52 PM)
Ozzie says that Sweeney will start on Thurs night. Looks like another night off for Anderson, as I'd imagine Ozuna will be in LF.

Somebody should tell Ozzie that BA has never gone 0-6.

But somehow Sweeney "reminds me of Ozzie Guillen"

So we know why Sweeney will stay in there, not that it makes much sense....

It's no loss if Sweeney has an unproductive night at the plate while taking the place of an unproductive hitter, but it will be regrettable if he's taking the place of our center fielders down the stretch and hitting at the top of the order. If Sweeney is going to play, it should be in LF and at the bottom of the lineup.