Frank Thomas v. Jim Thome

Steve9347

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 05:28 AM)
Good thread. It's an interesting topic. I can't believe how well Hurt is hitting.

I wonder if he'll pull a Fisk and play 8 more years. If so, he'll be inducted in the Hall as an A.

Frank could retire now and should be voted first ballot. Without a doubt.

I do not even see this as a debate.

Jim thome has a an ops of 1.207 with risp this season.

Frank thomas has an ops of .968 with risp this season.

Does it surprise any that thomas has 22 home runs with no one on? Compared to his 14 with a runner on.

Thome has 21 with runners on compared to his 18 with no one on.

I always hear people complain that thome is not clutch and such. Thomas has 706 ops in close and late situations (50 ab's) compared to thome' s .900 ops (60ab's).

If you really want to complain about thome... you can point to his .250 average with no one on (still not a bad .915 ops). His s***ty .540 slugging in that situation would currently have him tied for 25 in all of baseball with grady sizemore.

Thomas was never coming back. It is plain and simple. We were obviously not picking up his contract. He would have never come back... do you think he would ever accept a 500k deal from the sox? He would have felt a team that he did so much for (he made a couple bucks along the way when he was injured... yet he forgets such things) should stick by his side and pay up. He has always thought he was underpaid and off-season would have been no different. I highly doubt either side was ever close this off-season.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:29 AM)

Does it surprise any that thomas has 22 home runs with no one on? Compared to his 14 with a runner on.

I always hear people complain that thome is not clutch and such. Thomas has 706 ops in close and late situations (50 ab's) compared to thome' s .900 ops (60ab's).

If you really want to complain about thome... you can point to his .250 average with no one on (still not a bad .915 ops). His s***ty .540 slugging in that situation would currently have him tied for 25 in all of baseball with grady sizemore.

Thomas was never coming back. It is plain and simple. We were obviously not picking up his contract. He would have never come back... do you think he would ever accept a 500k deal from the sox? He would have felt a team that he did so much for (he made a couple bucks along the way when he was injured... yet he forgets such things) should stick by his side and pay up. He has always thought he was underpaid and off-season would have been no different. I highly doubt either side was ever close this off-season.

Thomas is also not a very good left-handed hitter.

That was pretty much the main point in bringing in Thome. It wasn't about the raw power. It was about the power from the left side.

Is Thomas on a one year deal?

Interesting because he probably will want big bucks this offseason.

I wonder if he'll get it.

I guess he's still a big injury risk but hey with those numbers I can't imagine him playing

for the minimum again.

Not with his ego.

Interesting.

I wonder if he'll get a good contract.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:33 AM)
Is Thomas on a one year deal?

Interesting because he probably will want big bucks this offseason.

I wonder if he'll get it.

I guess he's still a big injury risk but hey with those numbers I can't imagine him playing

for the minimum again.

Not with his ego.

Interesting.

I wonder if he'll get a good contract.

Something in the 5-8 million range + incentives. There is always a team out there... glad we will not be that team.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:29 AM)

:wub:

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
Why don't you stop letting Jay Mariotti tell you what to think.

I don't know cause I don't read him, but did Jay ever say anything like this? I don't ever recall a fuss being made of such a thing - which I would guess one would be.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
Why don't you stop letting Jay Mariotti tell you what to think.

haahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaahahahahahahahahah

Nice One.

Jay Mariotti and others in the negatively slanted media in the 80's and 90's and a good portion of the 2000's, made sure to basically IGNORE Frank Thomas, and then when he was just too good to ignore any longer, made sure to paint him as INTROVERTED, SULKING, and a SELFISH PLAYER. When he left, so many flowers and accolades were thrown his way, with HeadClown Rick Morrissey daring to say that the reason Frank wasnt as Celebrated in Chicago was because SOX FANS DIDNT LIKE HIM.

We know all of this was BS

Frank got a long Standing Ovation upon returning from the DL. The Media didnt like him.

Thats why he wasnt celebrated.

Edited by Hangar18

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 04:05 AM)
Frank Thomas was a cancer in the locker room and I am glad he is gone.

a. cancer. in. the. locker. room.

why? because he and konerko had a little spat where paulie classlessly took it to the media? or when he wasn't playing and fatass david wells called him out, only to find out later that the Big Hurt had a freaking torn BICEPS?

dude, back it up if you're going to say that s***... that's ridiculous... he's the best player this franchise has ever seen.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
It's interesting to see the way Frank is talked about on the boards now versus the beginning of the season or any time prior. I guess "what have you done for me lately" rings true for just about anything.

There was (and for some still is) no love loss for him. But one consistant thing is that everyone with a half a brain knew that the beef was with Kenny and Frank and not Frank and his teammates and fans.

Just thinking out loud here - Rowand was a big part of the "heart" of this team last year. I would've rather had Rowand and Thomas this year rather than the joke that has become of the center field by commitee situation and plus Thome's inconsistent hitting against lefties, even though Jim is a class act.

Also, got to remember that Frank wasn't going to take the offer that he got coming from the Sox.

Wasn't the RMAC move justified as being a possible backup for JC anyway? - Not the bandaid for centerfield to get better hitting in the lineup. Then #13 is whining about BA needing more at bats to the media?! Please!

All year we've seen threads and comments on how this team doesn't want it bad enough. And all the other teams want it more than us, no heart, etc,.......

I like BA enough and his upside potential is great. However, I thought KW was spending big $ to try to repeat.

AROW & the other 2 amigos (along w/ JC & AJ) were the heart of this team, now AROW is gone - miss him.

Hope we still make it to October again. If nothing else it should be interesting to watch.

PS: When is AROW a free agent?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
I skipped over it, but judgin by the title, I believe Mariotti had a Frank Thomas praise piece in the Sun-Times today(Maybe even bashing the Sox a little for letting him go?). Unbelievable.

Nope. IP was just asking the board their thoughts.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
For facts sake, the Sox did not make any offer to Frank.

You are correct sir. They offered cash & a one way ticket to anywhere. Wasn't it $3M?

Guess I should have said that I don't think Frank would've accepted the same offer as he got from the A's if it would've come from the Sox (wasn't it a heavily incentivized league minimum?).

Thanks