Ozzie Still Not a BA fan

Heads22

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
So funny that the sox lead the league in BA with runners in scoring position, and many of you are still trying to debate that the offense is the real issue here.

Heres a clue to why we wont make the playoffs

Detroit 745 RS 605 RA

Minn 741 RS 636 RA

Sox 816 RS 722 RA

How can you say the offense hasnt had anything to do with our failure, especially in the 2nd half.

Great 816 runs scored, 520 of those scored in the first half.

We are 13th in the majors in runs scored in the 2nd half. We are behind legendary scoring offenses like the Chicago Cubs and the Florida Marlins.

In the second half we have scored a whole 296 runs while giving up 307 runs 4.68ERA.

In the first half we scored 520 runs, and gave up 415. 4.44 ERA

So our pitching was slightly worse in the 2nd half, but our run production dropped quite a bit.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
How can you say the offense hasnt had anything to do with our failure, especially in the 2nd half.

Great 816 runs scored, 520 of those scored in the first half.

We are 13th in the majors in runs scored in the 2nd half. We are behind legendary scoring offenses like the Chicago Cubs and the Florida Marlins.

In the second half we have scored a whole 296 runs while giving up 307 runs 4.68ERA.

In the first half we scored 520 runs, and gave up 415. 4.44 ERA

So our pitching was slightly worse in the 2nd half, but our run production dropped quite a bit.

So we went from being a top 5 offense in MLB in the first half to being a top 15 (aka top half) in the second half. Either one is a step up from last year.

We've had some offensive issues, but pitching has been the biggest negative change from last year. And that is the #1 problem.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
So we went from being a top 5 offense in MLB in the first half to being a top 15 (aka top half) in the second half. Either one is a step up from last year.

We've had some offensive issues, but pitching has been the biggest negative change from last year. And that is the #1 problem.

^^^^^^

Egg-zactly.

Ozzie's a f***ing riot.

Wow, more ignorance, idiocy from Ozzie. Why is it that some people want him to continue as manager of this team? It became clear to me this season that Podsednik is a 0-tool player. A little while later in the season I realized that Ozzie is a 0-tool manager. He can't fill out a good lineup, he doesn't know how to handle starting pitchers or the bullpen. His in-game decisions are laughably horrible. He has shown this season that he can't motivate his players. I ask all of the Ozzie-defenders: what is Ozzie good at?

Edited by SoxHawk1980

expect a new CF and LFer in 2007 Ozzie just doesn't like BA. And KW knows he got the one great year Pods had in him in 2005 and now its time to move on.

The only sure keepers for 2007 are:

Pauly, Gooch, Dye, Crede, Garland, AJ, Jenks, and Thorton

The probably keepers are:

Buerhle, Contreras, McDougal, Cotts, R Mack, Gload, Ozuna, Thome

The big question marks:

Uribe, Anderson, Vazquez, Garcia, McCarthy, Riske, Cintron

Good as Gone:

Podsednick, Alomar, Hermanson

KW has alot of work to do come November

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 07:24 AM)
It actually gets better..

Now that is some ignorant crap from Ozzie.

I am now 100% convinced that there is something going on between Anderson and Ozzie that none of us know about. Ozzie knows the game too well to actually think that Sweeney is as good as Anderson defensively, or that a guy with like 12 AB's at the MLB level will hit better than Anderson. There is something else there.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
Little bit of fun here.

Brian Anderson hit .161 in April, .167 in may, and .191 in June. Post All Star, he has hit .285.

In the 2nd half, Rob Mackowiak has 80 at bats. He has hit .250 in those at bats, almost Podsednik territory.

Just for fun, I figured I would like to know what would have happened had Ozzie shut up and Played Anderson almost every game in CF after the break except for the occasional day off or late inning pinch hit situation. So if I were to give Anderson another 80 at bats in the 2nd half...if his 2nd half numbers were to go unchanged (and not improve with even more experience), here would be his season line:

.245 batting average, .300 OBP.

Considering how bad he started off, that wouldn't be a bad season at all.

It is true that BA's average climbed extremely well in the second half but it is also true that Ozzie did not play BA against a lot of tough pitchers (especially tough right handers). I wonder if his average would have continued climbing at that pace if he had to face all of the pitchers Ozzie protected him from. This is also why we had to put up with Mack in CF for all those games. Everyone yelled "why is Mack out there when BA is hitting .300 this month" but no one wanted to mention that BA was doing it against pitchers Ozzie thought would be easier for him. Of course no one will ever know what BA could have done against those tough pitchers but I just wanted to throw that out there.

QUOTE(pcullotta @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 08:06 AM)
It is true that BA's average climbed extremely well in the second half but it is also true that Ozzie did not play BA against a lot of tough pitchers (especially tough right handers). I wonder if his average would have continued climbing at that pace if he had to face all of the pitchers Ozzie protected him from. This is also why we had to put up with Mack in CF for all those games. Everyone yelled "why is Mack out there when BA is hitting .300 this month" but no one wanted to mention that BA was doing it against pitchers Ozzie thought would be easier for him. Of course no one will ever know what BA could have done against those tough pitchers but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Easy pitchers such as, Shilling, Rogers, Mussina, Zumaya, Ryan, Farnsworth, Robertson, Zito, Johnson....

QUOTE(pcullotta @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 08:06 AM)

Instead BA gets to play against all the tough left handers when he hits righties much better. That is not protecting him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
Instead BA gets to play against all the tough left handers when he hits righties much better. That is not protecting him.

I agree, Ozzie does play the Righty/Lefty matchup game wrong a lot of the time (Especially with Iguchi). I was just wondering whether or not BA would have done as well as he did in the second half if he had to face all the pitchers he was spared from. Direct quote from Ozzie - "Right now, Mackowiak is going to be in against tough righties until we see Brian start swinging the bat better." From the Tribune - White Sox OF Rob Mackowiak may play more against right-handed pitchers due to the struggles of rookie OF Brian N. Anderson in center field. I'm not saying BA didn't face tough pitchers. Every Major League player does. I am saying Ozzie did try to protect him from pitchers he didn't think BA could handle.

Edited by pcullotta

QUOTE(pcullotta @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 07:14 AM)
I agree, Ozzie does play the Righty/Lefty matchup game wrong a lot of the time (Especially with Iguchi). I was just wondering whether or not BA would have done as well as he did in the second half if he had to face all the pitchers he was spared from. Direct quote from Ozzie - "Right now, Mackowiak is going to be in against tough righties until we see Brian start swinging the bat better." From the Tribune - White Sox OF Rob Mackowiak may play more against right-handed pitchers due to the struggles of rookie OF Brian N. Anderson in center field. I'm not saying BA didn't face tough pitchers. Every Major League player does. I am saying Ozzie did try to protect him from pitchers he didn't think BA could handle.

I looked at those numbers before putting up my second half guess about Anderson's numbers. And I also believe that had Anderson been facing right handers, he would have had even better numbers.

It wasn't just "Tough" right handers Ozzie wouldn't let BA face. It was anyone who threw from the right hand side. And when a relief pitcher who threw right handed would come in, B.A. would just as often get hits as he would if he was starting.

Had he been in those extra 80 at bats or so, he would have faced some tough righties, but he'd also have faced plenty of easy righties. Paul Byrd. Kyle Snyder. Runelvys Hernandez. Brad Radke (while hurt). Zach Miner. Radke again. Adam Bernero. Bruce Chen. Carlos Silva. Vicente Padilla. Josh Beckett. Daniel Cabrera. All of those guys started games just since July 1 that Ozzie held Anderson out of because they were righties. And then there's a few other good pitchers we lit up, like Zambrano, that he also never faced because Ozzie held him out of those games too.