Rush not in R&R HoF??

Texsox

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 07:27 PM)
No steroids

From wikipedia (so it must be true)

Did you notice Kiss and Aerosmith were on that list? Sales do not show greatness. I realize you're not presenting this as a "hardcore fact", but there are many bands who never released enough albums to have that many "consecutive" gold/platinum albums. Plus there are far too many "albums" that go gold or platinum because they have one good song (not accusing any of the bands on that list of this).

But I have never liked Rush. There are bands that do what they did much better.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
Did you notice Kiss and Aerosmith were on that list? Sales do not show greatness. I realize you're not presenting this as a "hardcore fact", but there are many bands who never released enough albums to have that many "consecutive" gold/platinum albums. Plus there are far too many "albums" that go gold or platinum because they have one good song (not accusing any of the bands on that list of this).

But I have never liked Rush. There are bands that do what they did much better.

You're not knocking Aerosmith...are you? I agree that in the past 20 years they are complete crap, but until Perry left at first, they were an amazing band. (IMO...of course)

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 08:20 PM)
Oh, I don't know...Cream? The Who? Led Zeppelin? and just about any other Brit-Blues band from that time. Rush SUCKS. Even Styx is better.

Rush is still around 30 years later, selling out just about every venue they play. Go watch Styx at Ribfest. The Who and Zeppelin where big influences on Rush early on. If you listen to the first couple of Rush albums, Geddy Lee actually tries to mimmick Robert Plant a bit. It is very apparent on their first live album. Rush covered The Seeker their last album commemmorating their 30th anniversary, and have often mentioned The Who as a big influence. I don't know how anyone with the handle Bob Dylan can actually pop off that any group or musician sucks.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 08:20 PM)
Even Styx is better.

I'm still trying to get my head around this statement. Wow. IMO no band has aged worse than Styx. When I was a kid I liked Styx. Later in life (5 years ago or so) I decided to buy Paradise Theater, as I was convinced it was a great album. Wow...so...dang...cheesy. I haven't gone back to it since.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
I'm still trying to get my head around this statement. Wow. IMO no band has aged worse than Styx. When I was a kid I liked Styx. Later in life (5 years ago or so) I decided to buy Paradise Theater, as I was convinced it was a great album. Wow...so...dang...cheesy. I haven't gone back to it since.

You Renegade, you were Fooling yourself to not realize it was a Grand Illusion? These are the Best of Times and before you say it, yes, I have Too Much Time on my Hands.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 06:08 AM)
You Renegade, you were Fooling yourself to not realize it was a Grand Illusion? These are the Best of Times and before you say it, yes, I have Too Much Time on my Hands.

Tex, you need a Lady! I know this girl named Lorelei, she's a Babe - maybe she'd Come Sail Away with you.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
Rush is still around 30 years later, selling out just about every venue they play. Go watch Styx at Ribfest. The Who and Zeppelin where big influences on Rush early on. If you listen to the first couple of Rush albums, Geddy Lee actually tries to mimmick Robert Plant a bit. It is very apparent on their first live album. Rush covered The Seeker their last album commemmorating their 30th anniversary, and have often mentioned The Who as a big influence. I don't know how anyone with the handle Bob Dylan can actually pop off that any group or musician sucks.

Them's fightin' words. Dylan has longevity in his favor just as well as he does good albums. I guarantee you that Bob Dylan's last three albums are better than Rush's last three just as they are better than the the last three of the Rolling Stones or Aerosmith or any of those other bands that couldn't hang it up. Besides, anyone that can wipe their own ass knows and understands that Dylan isn't recognized for his musical talent (although some of the bands he had playing for him are far superior than Rush) but for his writing. The staple Dylan made in music is and will be far greater recognized beyond anything Rush has done and can do.

Selling out a venue does not make a band great. Not in the slightest. If you don't believe me, buy a ticket to Kelly Clarkson or Kanye West or the Goo Goo Dolls or Fall Out Boy.

And covering songs does not make anything out of an artist. I'd bet Dylan has had more of his songs covered than any other artist in the world from now until the beginning of music. Most will agree that only one cover is better than the original. Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower. After that, the only guy that can cover Dylan is Dylan himself--go see him live if you want to see what I'm talking about.

Rush cannot touch Bob Dylan in terms of ANYTHING. If you don't believe me, you're only in denial. Dylan didn't get where he got by luck.

I challenge you to present me an artist that started his/her career better than Dylan's debut in '62 to the Basement Tapes in 75 (I can already picture you looking up all the Rolling Stones and Beatles albums):

Bob Dylan

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Another Side of Bob Dylan

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Bringing It All Back Home

Highway 61 Revisited

Blonde On Blonde

Nashville Skyline

New Morning

Blood On The Tracks

The Basement Tapes

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 06:19 PM)

And covering songs does not make anything out of an artist. I'd bet Dylan has had more of his songs covered than any other artist in the world from now until the beginning of music.

I don't know, man. Those guys like Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven have had their fair share of cover bands, like the Chicago Symphany Orchestra. Write your own music, you bums!

But seriously,

Dylan >> Rush, in every way, shape, and form.

Edit: Oh, and one of my parents' friends had Styx as their wedding band before they got big. Just a completely useless bit of information

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
Them's fightin' words. Dylan has longevity in his favor just as well as he does good albums. I guarantee you that Bob Dylan's last three albums are better than Rush's last three just as they are better than the the last three of the Rolling Stones or Aerosmith or any of those other bands that couldn't hang it up. Besides, anyone that can wipe their own ass knows and understands that Dylan isn't recognized for his musical talent (although some of the bands he had playing for him are far superior than Rush) but for his writing. The staple Dylan made in music is and will be far greater recognized beyond anything Rush has done and can do.

Selling out a venue does not make a band great. Not in the slightest. If you don't believe me, buy a ticket to Kelly Clarkson or Kanye West or the Goo Goo Dolls or Fall Out Boy.

And covering songs does not make anything out of an artist. I'd bet Dylan has had more of his songs covered than any other artist in the world from now until the beginning of music. Most will agree that only one cover is better than the original. Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower. After that, the only guy that can cover Dylan is Dylan himself--go see him live if you want to see what I'm talking about.

Rush cannot touch Bob Dylan in terms of ANYTHING. If you don't believe me, you're only in denial. Dylan didn't get where he got by luck.

I challenge you to present me an artist that started his/her career better than Dylan's debut in '62 to the Basement Tapes in 75 (I can already picture you looking up all the Rolling Stones and Beatles albums):

Bob Dylan

Highway 61 Revisited

Blonde On Blonde

Nashville Skyline

New Morning

Blood On The Tracks

The Basement Tapes

i like the byrds tambourine man better :ph34r: , and these past 3 bob dylan albums stand on their own as great albums, and i think in years will be pointed to as very influential.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 02:48 AM)
Covers? I'd bet the Beatles >>> Dylan. I'd guess Yesterday alone would come close.

while this is prolly true, a lot of it is due to companies getting around how expensive their song rights are.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)

Bob Dylan

Highway 61 Revisited

Blonde On Blonde

Nashville Skyline

New Morning

Blood On The Tracks

The Basement Tapes

The Basement Tapes is actually 1967. I have a "Complete Basement Tapes" 4CD set with over 100+ tracks, and only three of the songs are good.

One Single River

Four Strong Winds

French Girl

A good 15 to 20 of the songs are promising, but the lead singer of the Band is so utterly horrible on those sessions that he pretty much destroys every single track, with very few exceptions. He ain't even singing; he pretty much whines his way through tracks. They should have put a gag on that dude.

Also, you left out his masterpiece JOHN WESLEY HARDING. I consider that one to be his best officially released album. IMO, his best album period is the original pressing of "Blood On The Tracks" with the vastly superior versions of "Idiot Wind", "You're A Big Girl Now", "Tangled Up In Blue", and the classic unreleased track "Up To Me".

And I know that nobody listens to me, but mixing in bootlegs with officials is what it's all about. It's like y'all are living in the dark ages or something. :D

You also said that Dylan ain't recognized for his musical talent. Now, my favorite instrument is the harmonica, and Dylan is the master if we're talking about classic rock (no offense to Alan Wilson). But again, you might not agree if you haven't heard all of the Witmark Demos from 1962-1963, all of the classic tracks from the 1965 tour, the unbelievable outros on the original pressing of "Blood On The Tracks", etc. The John Wesley Harding album is yet another prime example of his insane talents on the harmonica.

And I like his voice on damn near everything except for the 1964 Tour, "Blonde On Blonde" and "Nashville Skyline" if we're talking 1963-1974.

What people need to remember is that Bob Dylan COMPLETELY reinvented himself from year to year. Hell, from month to month. Most people around my way can't stand him due to the commercial tracks from 1965-1966, particularly ANYTHING off of the "Blonde On Blonde" album. I know a s***load of classic rock fans, and nobody likes Dylan with the exception of my Father-In-Law, who is a huge huge fan.

Here's a 7CD set I put together last year. I encourage any and all Dylan fans to investigate some of these sources, particularly the Witmark Demos, 1965 Tour, and the 1974 originals. The 1965 outtakes are great, too. He never completed a few classic tracks (You Don't Have To Do That, Midnight Train). Both are partial demos.

Bob Dylan Volume 1

1962-1963 Demos

1. Walkin' Down The Line

2. Girl Of The North Country

3. Farewell

4. Don't Think Twice

5. Boots Of Spanish Leather

6. Hard Rain

7. I'd Hate To Be You

8. Masters Of War

9. John Brown

10. Talkin' John Birchard Blues

11. Guess I'm Doing Fine

12. Paths Of Victory

13. Tomorrow Is A Long Time

14. Baby Let Me Follow You Down

15. When The Ship Comes In

Bob Dylan Volume 2

1962-1964 Officials

1. Chimes Of Freedom

2. Mr. Tambourine Man

3. Girl Of The North Country

4. I Don't Believe You

5. It Ain't Me Babe

6. Boots Of Spanish Leather

7. When The Ship Comes In

8. Gates Of Eden

9. The Times

10. With God On Our Side

11. Only A Pawn In Their Game

12. Masters Of War

13. Hard Rain

14. Don't Think Twice

15. Lay Down Your Weary Tune

Bob Dylan Volume 3

1965 Live Tour

1. Don't Think Twice (Manchester 5/7/65)

2. To Ramona (Sheffield 4/30/65)

3. She Belongs To Me (Los Angeles 9/3/65)

4. Gates Of Eden (Manchester 5/7/65)

5. It Ain't Me Babe (London 5/10/65)

6. If You Gotta Go, Go Now (Manchester 5/7/65)

7. Love Minus Zero (Newcastle 5/6/65)

8. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (London 5/10/65)

9. The Times (Manchester 5/7/65)

10. With God On Our Side (Manchester 5/7/65)

11. Mr. Tambourine Man (Newport 7/25/65)

12. Boots Of Spanish Leather (London 6/8/65)

13. One Too Many Mornings (London 6/8/65)

14. Like A Rolling Stone (Newport 7/25/65)

Bob Dylan Volume 4

1965 Outtakes

1. Instrumental #1

2. You Don't Have To Do That

3. Please Crawl Out Your Window

4. If You Gotta Go, Go Now

5. She Belongs To Me

6. Visions Of Johanna #1

7. Love Minus Zero

8. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

9. Instrumental #2

10. Midnight Train

11. I'll Keep It With Mine

12. Visions Of Johanna #2

13. Desolation Row

14. Miami Sales Message

15. Like A Rolling Stone (Mono)

16. Positively 4th Street (Mono)

Bob Dylan Volume 5

1967 Officials & Basement Tapes

1. I'm A Lonesome Hobo

2. As I Went Out One Morning

3. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine

4. Dear Landlord

5. I Pity The Poor Immigrant

6. All Along The Watchtower

7. Drifter's Escape

8. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight

9. Wicked Messenger

10. Frankie Lee & Judas Priest

11. French Girl

12. Four Strong Winds

13. One Single River

Bob Dylan Volume 6

1969-1971 Officials, Outtakes, Live

1. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

2. Mr. Bojangles

3. I Threw It All Away (Outtake)

4. Can't Help Falling In Love

5. Cupid (Outtake)

6. Big Yellow Taxi

7. Gates Of Eden (Outtake)

8. Ballad Of Ira Hayes

9. Marianne

10. Love Minus Zero (MSG 1/8/71)

11. Hard Rain (MSG 1/8/71)

12. Blowin' In The Wind (MSG 1/8/71)

Bob Dylan Volume 7

1974 Officials, Originals, Outtakes

1. Idiot Wind (Original)

2. You're A Big Girl Now (Original)

3. Tangled Up In Blue (Original)

4. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome (Official)

5. Shelter From The Storm (Official)

6. Simple Twist Of Fate (Official)

7. Up To Me (Outtake)

8. Buckets Of Rain (Official)

9. Lily, Rosemary, And The Jack Of Hearts (Original)

10. Tangled Up In Blue (Outtake)

11. Shelter From The Storm (Outtake)

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
The Basement Tapes is actually 1967. I have a "Complete Basement Tapes" 4CD set with over 100+ tracks, and only three of the songs are good.

One Single River

Four Strong Winds

French Girl

A good 15 to 20 of the songs are promising, but the lead singer of the Band is so utterly horrible on those sessions that he pretty much destroys every single track, with very few exceptions. He ain't even singing; he pretty much whines his way through tracks. They should have put a gag on that dude.

Also, you left out his masterpiece JOHN WESLEY HARDING. I consider that one to be his best officially released album. IMO, his best album period is the original pressing of "Blood On The Tracks" with the vastly superior versions of "Idiot Wind", "You're A Big Girl Now", "Tangled Up In Blue", and the classic unreleased track "Up To Me".

And I know that nobody listens to me, but mixing in bootlegs with officials is what it's all about. It's like y'all are living in the dark ages or something. :D

You also said that Dylan ain't recognized for his musical talent. Now, my favorite instrument is the harmonica, and Dylan is the master if we're talking about classic rock (no offense to Alan Wilson). But again, you might not agree if you haven't heard all of the Witmark Demos from 1962-1963, all of the classic tracks from the 1965 tour, the unbelievable outros on the original pressing of "Blood On The Tracks", etc. The John Wesley Harding album is yet another prime example of his insane talents on the harmonica.

And I like his voice on damn near everything except for the 1964 Tour, "Blonde On Blonde" and "Nashville Skyline" if we're talking 1963-1974.

What people need to remember is that Bob Dylan COMPLETELY reinvented himself from year to year. Hell, from month to month. Most people around my way can't stand him due to the commercial tracks from 1965-1966, particularly ANYTHING off of the "Blonde On Blonde" album. I know a s***load of classic rock fans, and nobody likes Dylan with the exception of my Father-In-Law, who is a huge huge fan.

Here's a 7CD set I put together last year. I encourage any and all Dylan fans to investigate some of these sources, particularly the Witmark Demos, 1965 Tour, and the 1974 originals. The 1965 outtakes are great, too. He never completed a few classic tracks (You Don't Have To Do That, Midnight Train). Both are partial demos.

Bob Dylan Volume 1

1962-1963 Demos

1. Walkin' Down The Line

2. Girl Of The North Country

3. Farewell

4. Don't Think Twice

5. Boots Of Spanish Leather

6. Hard Rain

7. I'd Hate To Be You

8. Masters Of War

9. John Brown

10. Talkin' John Birchard Blues

11. Guess I'm Doing Fine

12. Paths Of Victory

13. Tomorrow Is A Long Time

14. Baby Let Me Follow You Down

15. When The Ship Comes In

Bob Dylan Volume 2

1962-1964 Officials

1. Chimes Of Freedom

2. Mr. Tambourine Man

3. Girl Of The North Country

4. I Don't Believe You

5. It Ain't Me Babe

6. Boots Of Spanish Leather

7. When The Ship Comes In

8. Gates Of Eden

9. The Times

10. With God On Our Side

11. Only A Pawn In Their Game

12. Masters Of War

13. Hard Rain

14. Don't Think Twice

15. Lay Down Your Weary Tune

Bob Dylan Volume 3

1965 Live Tour

1. Don't Think Twice (Manchester 5/7/65)

2. To Ramona (Sheffield 4/30/65)

3. She Belongs To Me (Los Angeles 9/3/65)

4. Gates Of Eden (Manchester 5/7/65)

5. It Ain't Me Babe (London 5/10/65)

6. If You Gotta Go, Go Now (Manchester 5/7/65)

7. Love Minus Zero (Newcastle 5/6/65)

8. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (London 5/10/65)

9. The Times (Manchester 5/7/65)

10. With God On Our Side (Manchester 5/7/65)

11. Mr. Tambourine Man (Newport 7/25/65)

12. Boots Of Spanish Leather (London 6/8/65)

13. One Too Many Mornings (London 6/8/65)

14. Like A Rolling Stone (Newport 7/25/65)

Bob Dylan Volume 4

1965 Outtakes

1. Instrumental #1

2. You Don't Have To Do That

3. Please Crawl Out Your Window

4. If You Gotta Go, Go Now

5. She Belongs To Me

6. Visions Of Johanna #1

7. Love Minus Zero

8. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

9. Instrumental #2

10. Midnight Train

11. I'll Keep It With Mine

12. Visions Of Johanna #2

13. Desolation Row

14. Miami Sales Message

15. Like A Rolling Stone (Mono)

16. Positively 4th Street (Mono)

Bob Dylan Volume 5

1967 Officials & Basement Tapes

1. I'm A Lonesome Hobo

2. As I Went Out One Morning

3. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine

4. Dear Landlord

5. I Pity The Poor Immigrant

6. All Along The Watchtower

7. Drifter's Escape

8. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight

9. Wicked Messenger

10. Frankie Lee & Judas Priest

11. French Girl

12. Four Strong Winds

13. One Single River

Bob Dylan Volume 6

1969-1971 Officials, Outtakes, Live

1. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

2. Mr. Bojangles

3. I Threw It All Away (Outtake)

4. Can't Help Falling In Love

5. Cupid (Outtake)

6. Big Yellow Taxi

7. Gates Of Eden (Outtake)

8. Ballad Of Ira Hayes

9. Marianne

10. Love Minus Zero (MSG 1/8/71)

11. Hard Rain (MSG 1/8/71)

12. Blowin' In The Wind (MSG 1/8/71)

Bob Dylan Volume 7

1974 Officials, Originals, Outtakes

1. Idiot Wind (Original)

2. You're A Big Girl Now (Original)

3. Tangled Up In Blue (Original)

4. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome (Official)

5. Shelter From The Storm (Official)

6. Simple Twist Of Fate (Official)

7. Up To Me (Outtake)

8. Buckets Of Rain (Official)

9. Lily, Rosemary, And The Jack Of Hearts (Original)

10. Tangled Up In Blue (Outtake)

11. Shelter From The Storm (Outtake)

I missed the boat on John Wesley Harding. I was going off of my iTunes list and I own the re-release of the album (1993). The Basement Tapes I have is a 2 disc set seen j. I've never heard of the version you own. Can you lead me to a place (preferably free, oops!) where I can find the Witmark Demos and 1965 Tour, and the 1974 originals. Also, do you know where I can get The Gaslight Tapes?

I also heard that there is a 26 disc thing that surfaced on the internet with a bunch of Dylan B-Sides. Heard or know anything about this?

But Dylan and the harmonica...I love to listen to him play it as much as the next Dylan fan, but if you talk to anyone that knows how to play it, they'll tell you Dylan plays it like pure s***. And face it (I don't like to face it either), he does. Sometimes it makes my ears bleed the pitch gets so high.

Also, do you have an original pressing of Blood on the Tracks? Any way I could get my ears to it?

Edited by BobDylan

I'm going to have the guts to come out and say this:

I have listened to a whole bunch of Rush than I have of Bob Dylan.

To discredit Rush and what they have accomplished in their time, regardless of how you feel about them and your personal taste, makes about as much sense as discrediting Dylan. I would lay every single one of my yearly paychecks on the fact that Rush has probably influenced damn near just as many people worldiwde as Dylan has directly. I would lay money on it that almost every Metal band out there (remember, drop your personal bias about possibly disliking Metal) will cite Rush as an influence, and many of them will not cite Dylan. I would also lay money on it that many drummers out there will admit to an admiration for Peart.

Arguing over Rush being better or greater or whatever than Dylan, and vice versa is silly. No Rush was not going to have the political significance that Dylan had, but NO BAND did in the 70's.

Geez kids, argue over who was better, Led Zep or Rush. Or argue Dylan vs. The Byrds. Arguing Rush against Dylan is like arguing Backstreet Boys against Burzum.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
I'm going to have the guts to come out and say this:

I have listened to a whole bunch of Rush than I have of Bob Dylan.

To discredit Rush and what they have accomplished in their time, regardless of how you feel about them and your personal taste, makes about as much sense as discrediting Dylan. I would lay every single one of my yearly paychecks on the fact that Rush has probably influenced damn near just as many people worldiwde as Dylan has directly. I would lay money on it that almost every Metal band out there (remember, drop your personal bias about possibly disliking Metal) will cite Rush as an influence, and many of them will not cite Dylan. I would also lay money on it that many drummers out there will admit to an admiration for Peart.

Arguing over Rush being better or greater or whatever than Dylan, and vice versa is silly. No Rush was not going to have the political significance that Dylan had, but NO BAND did in the 70's.

Geez kids, argue over who was better, Led Zep or Rush. Or argue Dylan vs. The Byrds. Arguing Rush against Dylan is like arguing Backstreet Boys against Burzum.

yes but influencing is bad if it influences horrible bands.

Like I said, "horrible bands" is your personal opinion. I know of many amazing bands that are influenced by Rush, but others might not like them. Just because somebody is too friggin' arrogant and closed minded to accept that something that they do not like is not neccasarilly bad is not my problem or Rush's problem. I am not a Rush fan, I own nothing by them, but I would never be such a closed minded idiot to claim that their musis "sucks". They are fantastic musicians who have made music loved by MILLIONS. No, record sales do not equate great music, but many of the people who claim that Rush are crap will also spend time praising stuff by bands like the Butthole Surfers.

p.s. bmags, who is that in your avatar?

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
Like I said, "horrible bands" is your personal opinion. I know of many amazing bands that are influenced by Rush, but others might not like them. Just because somebody is too friggin' arrogant and closed minded to accept that something that they do not like is not neccasarilly bad is not my problem or Rush's problem. I am not a Rush fan, I own nothing by them, but I would never be such a closed minded idiot to claim that their musis "sucks". They are fantastic musicians who have made music loved by MILLIONS. No, record sales do not equate great music, but many of the people who claim that Rush are crap will also spend time praising stuff by bands like the Butthole Surfers.

p.s. bmags, who is that in your avatar?

slints album cover for spiderland, recently learned the photo was taken by Will Oldham (also known as bonnie prince billy) besides it being a great album, i love that album cover, it kind of reminds me of stand by me the film, and just being younger. The facial expressions and settings. its so great.

And i realize how horrible bands are subjective, but i've made no bones about saying how much i hate prog.

Neil Peart is a friggin' machine. It's impossible not be in awe of his technical brilliance, imo. Geddy and Alex hold their own as well and i think as a unit they work well together, but

I don't have the musical manlove for them that i do for Neil.

Beyond that, yeah, it's what you like or don't like but their musicianship is unquestionable.

The same can't be said for Dylan (as far as technical proficiency), who is at the same time one of the most gifted songwriters of any generation.

Meaningless comparison.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 05:06 AM)
But Dylan and the harmonica...I love to listen to him play it as much as the next Dylan fan, but if you talk to anyone that knows how to play it, they'll tell you Dylan plays it like pure s***. And face it (I don't like to face it either), he does. Sometimes it makes my ears bleed the pitch gets so high.

Bob plays the harmonica like pure s***? What in the hell kind of Bob Dylan fan are you? :D

Seriously though, that's the most ignorant thing that I've heard all year. No offense to you, as you stated that you like to listen to him when he plays, but those dudes that you've been talking to should be written off as straight-up motherf***ing retards. Good God.

Anyway, here are my Top 15 Dylan moments on harmonica. I should have pretty much all of his essential bootlegs and officials from 1962-1975.

Walkin' Down The Line (1963 Demo)

Don't Think Twice (Manchester 5/7/65)

To Ramona (Sheffield 4/30/65)

It Ain't Me Babe (London 5/10/65)

Love Minus Zero (Newcastle 5/6/65)

It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (London 5/10/65)

The Times (Manchester 5/7/65)

One Too Many Mornings (London 6/8/65)

I'm A Lonesome Hobo (John Wesley Harding)

As I Went Out One Morning (John Wesley Harding)

I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine (John Wesley Harding)

I Pity The Poor Immigrant (John Wesley Harding)

Idiot Wind (Original)

You're A Big Girl Now (Original)

Tangled Up In Blue (Original)

As far as acquiring some of this stuff, go to www.bobsboots.com and seek out B&P trades. That's blanks and postage.