Top 10 Outfield Options for 2007 in Free Agency

RME JICO

Top 10 Outfield Options in Free Agency  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see in the Sox Outfield for 2007?

• Scott Podsednik - 30, 1.97M, 03 HR/45 RBI/40 SB*/.261 BA/.330 OBP/.684 OPS
    • Dave Roberts - 34, 2.25M, 02 HR/44 RBI/49 SB*/.295 BA*/.361 OBP*/.757 OPS
    • Gary Matthews Jr - 32, 2.39M, 19 HR*/79 RBI*/10 SB/.313 BA*/.371 OBP*/.866 OPS*
    • Frank Catalanotto - 32, 2.50M, 07 HR/56 RBI/01 SB/.300 BA*/.376 OBP*/.816 OPS
    • Jay Payton - 33, 4.00M, 10 HR/58 RBI/08 SB/.293 BA/.321 OBP/.738 OPS
    • Preston Wilson - 32, 4.50M, 17 HR/72 RBI/12 SB/.264 BA/.308 OBP/.732 OPS
    • Juan Pierre - 29, 5.75M, 03 HR/39 RBI/58 SB*/.291 BA/.329 OBP/.757 OPS
    • Shannon Stewart - 32, 6.50M, 02 HR/21 RBI/03 SB/.293 BA/.347 OBP/.715 OPS
    • Mike Cameron - 33, 8.00M, 22 HR*/83 RBI*/25 SB/.268 BA/.355 OBP/.837 OPS*
    • Torii Hunter - 31, 10.75M, 30 HR*/96 RBI*/12 SB/.278 BA/.336 OBP/.823 OPS*

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 04:48 AM)
Yeah I'd go for Dellucci also.

Ozuna can just be the platoon partner again vs. LHP.

I'd rather not have to watch Ozuna play 60 games in the outfield again this season. Also, I don't think Dellucci is Ozzie's type of player. If you read everything that Ozzie is saying in the press, it's quite obvious he's referring to a specific player.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
I'd rather not have to watch Ozuna play 60 games in the outfield again this season. Also, I don't think Dellucci is Ozzie's type of player. If you read everything that Ozzie is saying in the press, it's quite obvious he's referring to a specific player.

Hopefully Kenny doesn't listen to Ozzie at all this offseason. I hope Kenny has his own idea, and doesn't take much imput from Oz.

Edited for the fact I don't want to start another argument I've had too many times already.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)

Sweeney?

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)
So we have no one to face all the great LHP in our division? Might as well pencil us in for 3rd place then.

Gload has hit lefties better than righties in his career (.323/.357/.484 to .292/.341/.428), albiet a much smaller sample size (93 AB to 397 AB). Regardless, just because "we have no one to face all the great LHP in our division" (which isn't true) doesn't mean we'd be a third place team... especially since our offense is so good against righties, which make up nearly 66% of the pitchers in the league.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 05:24 AM)
Gload has hit lefties better than righties in his career (.323/.357/.484 to .292/.341/.428), albiet a much smaller sample size (93 AB to 397 AB). Regardless, just because "we have no one to face all the great LHP in our division" (which isn't true) doesn't mean we'd be a third place team... especially since our offense is so good against righties, which make up nearly 66% of the pitchers in the league.

3 of the Tigers starters are likely to be LHP, the Twins have the big 2, 3 of the Indians starters are going to be LHP, and KC always seems to have a lot of lefties in their rotation. If our lineup can't handle LHP next season, we're going to struggle within our division. Teams simply don't platoon two lefties in the same position.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
3 of the Tigers starters are likely to be LHP, the Twins have the big 2, 3 of the Indians starters are going to be LHP, and KC always seems to have a lot of lefties in their rotation. If our lineup can't handle LHP next season, we're going to struggle within our division. Teams simply don't platoon two lefties in the same position.

Just throwing this out there, but the Tigers went 18-20 against the best of the division this year, and only 31-26 against the non-worthless members of the division. Despite this, they led the division for most of the year, and wound up among the leagues best, rather than in third place.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 05:29 AM)
Just throwing this out there, but the Tigers went 18-20 against the best of the division this year, and only 31-26 against the non-worthless members of the division. Despite this, they led the division for most of the year, and wound up among the leagues best, rather than in third place.

Don't forget that we went something like 3-12 in games that were started by Santana, C.C., and Rogers this season. We could do ourselves a big favor if we can beef up our lineup against LHP. The lefty pitching in our division is just going to get better, as guys like Liriano, Andrew Miller, Sowers, etc. mature. I think we're going to try and upgrade our back-up catcher also, and hope that the player can give us some offense against LHP.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 05:37 AM)
How about this option:

Jose Guillen?

I can't see Ozzie/KW wanting to put up with his attitude. Just like Lugo and Freel, I'd rather stay away from him and make him someone else's problem. I do appreciate though how you bring up realistic players though...keep the names coming.

BTW, I'd like to add that we better not show any interest in D. Erstad. He's long been a favorite of KW and Hawk.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
Cameron's not a fa. The Pads have already said they'll pick up his option.

Dellucci should be on that list.

Dellucci is definitely an option, but there were only 10 voting options. He only made 950K for 2006, so he is relatively cheap. He does have a high K:BB ratio and the most games he has ever played in one season is 132 (2006), so there are some question marks there.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
There seems to be a lack of a "none of the above" button.

Sorry, there was only 10 voting options. None of the above is an option. The Sox can stay in house and use Sweeney, Gload, or Fields there.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
I rather not see us start two super young players everday in the OF.

Eric Byrnes should be an option as well

Eric Byrnes is an Arb player, he is not a Free Agent according to a few publications.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 01:12 AM)
Well....who can bunt, steal bases, and make contact?

Yeah, I know who you mean. And if that happens, it'll be a good thing the puke smiley's gone, cuz I think otherwise I'd wear out my mouse after the signing.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 06:43 AM)
Dellucci is definitely an option, but there were only 10 voting options. He only made 950K for 2006, so he is relatively cheap. He does have a high K:BB ratio and the most games he has ever played in one season is 132 (2006), so there are some question marks there.

I think the biggest question mark is that he can't hit lhp worth a damn. I think he's a good player, but he would do nothing to help us in that area.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
You'd have to say Trot Nixon is a top ten option in the outfield

Don't you also have to say that injuries are a major concern with him? He hasn't really played a full season (140+ games) since 2002, and then only twice in his entire career.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)

.268BA this year, .275BA the previous year. 13 dongs in 2005, and 8 last year and a 7 million dollar price tag for bad stats in RF. Uh no he is not a top ten option.

I may be willing to take Pappa Jack whom you guys let go as hitting coach you can have Greg Walker for free.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
There seems to be a lack of a "none of the above" button.

Ya, the only guy I like on that list is Sarge Jr. but there are a lot of questions as to whether he'll be able to duplicate those numbers. If he could, I'd sign him in a heartbeat.

If we are going to upgrade the outfield, it will be done via trade.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 08:49 PM)

If this was prior to the 2005 season, I might agree with you. He's someone who's always been a player I considered likely to be enhancing his performance. :P