Sox 2007 Schedule

longshot7

Took a look at next year's schedule - and there's some interesting stuff in there.

1) There's a lot of four-game series - much more than the past couple of years.

2) We play the Yankees an awful lot. 10 times.

3) We play the Tigers only 5 times in the 1st half. 13 after.

4) Both series against the Twins in May are in Minnesota.

5) We play the NL Central again. Hosting Houston & Florida and going to Philly & Pittsburgh. (so much for variety every year.)

thoughts?

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
Took a look at next year's schedule - and there's some interesting stuff in there.

1) There's a lot of four-game series - much more than the past couple of years.

2) We play the Yankees an awful lot. 10 times.

3) We play the Tigers only 5 times in the 1st half. 13 after.

4) Both series against the Twins in May are in Minnesota.

5) We play the NL Central again. Hosting Houston & Florida and going to Philly & Pittsburgh. (so much for variety every year.)

thoughts?

If I remember correctly, the A's are in town towawrds the end of May. That may be around the time Frank will be going for #500.

Bob

With 19 games against Minnesota, 19 games against Detroit, 10 games against the Yankees and 9 games against Oakland, that's 57 games more than one-third of the schedule against 2006 playoff teams, teams that will be so tired, these games will be cakewalks. Start planning the parade now. Seriously, it appears to be a pretty tough schedule. If the Sox get pitching though, they shouldn't have much of a problem.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)

thoughts?

That's two teams from the NL Central(not including the two Cubs series) and 2 from the NL East, so there actually is some variety this year.

And to be honest, the schedule isn't something I concern myself with that much. If the Sox are good enough to get in, then they'll get in no matter what the schedule looks like. I know that sounds cliche, but it's the truth.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 04:23 PM)
That's two teams from the NL Central(not including the two Cubs series) and 2 from the NL East, so there actually is some variety this year.

And to be honest, the schedule isn't something I concern myself with that much. If the Sox are good enough to get in, then they'll get in no matter what the schedule looks like. I know that sounds cliche, but it's the truth.

Yes, Philly & Florida are in the NL East, aren't they? Oops, my bad. That's weird - the inter-division stuff.

I'm not worried about how tough/easy the schedule is, but I'd like to see more varieties of teams, as I don't see the NL that much. We went to Pittsburgh last year. Those planning road trips might want to see another NL city.

Here is what I found:

April - Hardest month. (.529 SOS), 25 games, 14 vs winning teams, 11 vs losing teams, 11 vs playoff teams, 14 home games, 11 away games. Of the 8 vs losing teams, 6 are vs CLE and 2 are vs KC. A very rough start to the season. However, if they get off to a good start, they can really take advantage of their remaining schedule.

Series (vs CLE, vs MIN, at OAK, at CLE, vs TEX, at DET, at KC, vs DET, vs LAA).

May - Average month. (.508 SOS), 27 games, 16 vs winning teams, 11 vs losing teams, 9 vs playoff teams, 12 home games, 15 away games.

Series (at SEA, at LAA, at MIN, vs KC, vs NYY, at CHC, vs OAK, vs TB, at MIN, at TOR)

June - Easiest month. (.474 SOS), 28 games, 13 vs winning teams, 15 vs losing teams, 4 vs playoff teams, 13 home games, 15 away games. June is where the majority of interleague games are played. The Sox face (CHC, HOU, PIT, PHI, and FLA), all of which missed the playoffs in 2006. This month features the end of a 17 staight game stretch vs winning teams. After that stretch the Sox go into their easiest part of the schedule in years: 20 straight games vs losing teams, which ends in July. The Sox can really make a run during this stretch leading up to the All-Star break.

Series (at TOR, vs NYY, vs HOU, at PHI, at PIT, vs FLA, vs CHC, at TB, at KC)

July - Hard month. (.509 SOS), 27 games, 15 vs winning teams, 12 vs losing teams, 7 vs playoff teams, 13 home games, 15 away games. July 19th starts the second brutal stretch of 17 straight games vs winning teams. On both ends of this stretch the Sox play a 3 game series vs CLE, so you could say the Sox have a long 23 game stretch vs strong teams.

Series (at KC, vs BAL, vs MIN, at BAL, at CLE, at BOS, vs DET, vs TOR, at NYY)

August - Average month. (.509 SOS), 28 games, 12 vs winning teams, 16 vs losing teams, 8 vs playoff teams, 15 home games, 12 away games.

Series (at NYY, at DET, vs CLE, vs SEA, at OAK, at SEA, vs KC, vs BOS, at TEX, at CLE)

September - Hard month. (.511 SOS), 27 games, 15 vs winning teams, 12 vs losing teams, 12 vs playoff teams, 15 home games, 12 away games. The Sox finish the season with a 6 game homestand and play KC 7 out of their last 13 games.

Series (at CLE, at DET, vs MIN, vs CLE, vs LAA, at KC, at MIN, vs KC, vs DET)

Fast Facts:

-Longest Homestand - 7 games

-Longest Road Trip - 11 games

-Most consectutive games vs winning teams - 17 (twice)

-Most consectutive games vs losing teams - 20

-No West Coast trip that features OAK and LAA series together

-No East Coast trip that features NYY and BOS series together

-Only 3 West Coast trips (3 games, 5 games, and 6 games)

-10 games vs NYY (most of any non-Divisional opponent)

-Only 3 games at NYY with 7 games at home vs NYY

-9 games vs LAA

-Only 3 games at LAA with 6 games at home vs LAA

-9 games vs OAK

-Only 3 games at home vs OAK, with 6 games at OAK

-Interleague opponents (CHC-6, HOU-3, PIT-3, PHI-3, FLA-3)

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(forrestg @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
I have one question on the schedule....Last year we didn't and this year we won't play Milwaukee. ...Why?

Selig = Milwaukee.

Actually, that is a good question. Doesn't really make sense when we play the NL Central.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
Yeah I just want to play Milwaukee, bring back the old AL Central memories.

AL West?

Opps, my bad I thought they switched leagues when they changed to 3 divisions, it was a few years later.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

I remembered Milwaukee as the anomaly, being farther west of Chicago but playing in the AL East.

I remember the divisions looking like so:

New York

Boston

Toronto

Baltimore

Milwaukee

Detroit

Cleveland

Chicago

Minnesota

Oakland

Texas