Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ISU up 13-4 at second TV timeout. At this pace, we should lose by less than 20. :P We haven't won at Gallagher-Iba since Jeff Grayer, so yeah.

Also, Eddie Sutton found out someone was sitting in his seats. Pretty comical.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 06:53 PM)
D-*

Row: read my post in the cbb thread

Row: 2nd sentence

greasy: lol

greasy: i'm not a professor ...i see it

greasy: no one will understand my post now

greasy: since it's IM related

greasy: but they'll deal

Row: hahaha

Since when did you have to learn defense to play in the NBA? :D

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 06:51 PM)
I really don't think he's ready, not yet. Maybe it's the t-shirt he wears underneath his jersey but I believe there are still parts of his game he needs to work on. I will say though, at the beginning of the year I was completely unimpressed by him, as of late he's looked much, much better to me. Basketball wise, I think the smart move is to stay for his senior year.

Not that it would likely matter, but it would only technically be his senior year. SHOULD he want/need to play another year, getting another year via a medical redshirt from last year (he only played in 5 games) would be a no-brainer.

I think it would be best for DJ to stay another year, but it really depends on his wishes and how IU finishes. If he is having fun and enjoying playing for Coach Sampson and sees the potential benefit of staying then I could see it happening. If he is solely focused on the NBA, then he may go regardless of his projected draft status. I just hope he doesn't end up like many other college underclassmen who never play in the league. Without being privy to DJ's thoughts, I'd handicap his coming back at 60/40 right now.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)
Not that it would likely matter, but it would only technically be his senior year. SHOULD he want/need to play another year, getting another year via a medical redshirt from last year (he only played in 5 games) would be a no-brainer.

I think it would be best for DJ to stay another year, but it really depends on his wishes and how IU finishes. If he is having fun and enjoying playing for Coach Sampson and sees the potential benefit of staying then I could see it happening. If he is solely focused on the NBA, then he may go regardless of his projected draft status. I just hope he doesn't end up like many other college underclassmen who never play in the league. Without being privy to DJ's thoughts, I'd handicap his coming back at 60/40 right now.

Good point, that completely slipped my mind.

Anywho, there is finally a bit of seperation at the top of the Valley(not much), with UNI and Bradley both losing tonight, SIU and CU both have 1.5 game leads over 3rd place UNI and 2 game leads over Mo State and Bradley.

Anyone else watch the MSU OSU game? OSU up 20 at half and MSU rallied from the start of the 2nd half. Neitzel got hot and had 2 go ahead threes in the last 30 seconds, one as time expired, but couldn't get them to fall.

Meanwhile, Mizzou is back to playing as a real team with a commanding 71-58 win over Texas Tech. They follow their win at Colorado, which is hardly something to be proud of, with a nice win over a solid team. Tech was missing two starters apparently, but still had their top two scorers, never led, and didn't score for the first 9 and a half minutes or so of the 2nd half.

Boy, I'm glad I was wrong about Chester Frazier and Marcus Arnold being fill in desperation players that Illinois only got after 300 other people turned the Illini down. I'm pretty sure it's a lock Bruce is toast after the 2008 season at this rate. Only a couple wins left on this years schedule, and it will only get MUCH worse next year. This team would have such a bad record if not for the PATHETIC OOC.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 06:46 PM)
What are people's thoughts on DJ and next year?

He's averaging 14.2 points and 7.3 boards on the season (not blow away numbers I know). It's weird, I just averaged his conference totals, and they're right on par with that (14.9 and 7.4). It just seems like he's playing a lot better with each game, maybe it has something to do with the competition.

He's not on the board for this year or next on NBA Draft sites; however, I know he really wants to go. I wonder if he'd go, regardless when he got pick, or if he'd like to be as close to the top as possible.

I'm kind of nervous about it right now. I'd really love to see him play with EJ, as that could make for a scary tandem.

I guess it basically comes down to how IU and he does come March.

Does anyone have any reassuring or not so reassuring thoughts?

He'd be an idiot to go IMO. He's a VERY good college player, but he'll never make it in the NBA, just not nearly good enough. I doubt he'd even get drafted, ESPECIALLY in this draft, so I wouldn't worry.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 11:36 PM)
Boy, I'm glad I was wrong about Chester Frazier and Marcus Arnold being fill in desperation players that Illinois only got after 300 other people turned the Illini down.

Just remember, this team is better off without Dee and James.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 12:33 AM)
Just remember, this team is better off without Dee and James.

I was wrong about James, but this team has still gotten better PG play without Dee (well, except for today). Either way though, it'll take at least 2 or 3 years to dig out of this hole.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 12:57 AM)
Wesley Johnson is the best freshman in the Big 12.

Not named Kevin Durant, that is.

I could make a case that Kevin Durant would be the best player, RIGHT NOW, on the Bulls, who are tied for 1st in their division and 1/2 game out of the best record in their NBA Conference. I've never seen a freshman like him, not even Carmelo. He's like a combo of McGrady and Garnett.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 01:39 AM)
Which would you rather have?

Player A: 8.9 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.4 apg, 20.0 mpg, 51.2% fg

Player B: 12.2 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 1.1 apg, 31.6 mpg, 45.1% fg

He plays alot more than Sherron and Collins is 15x the talent whoever your hyping is. Collins is a freaking stud. I mean someone has to play well on your piss poor team.

I suppose since Johnson had just two stars attached to his name, he can't be talented. Let's just forget the fact that he's 6-8 with guard skills and a 41 vertical. And the fact that he has ten double-doubles already. And he's still growing. He was 6-5 last year.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 01:02 AM)
I could make a case that Kevin Durant would be the best player, RIGHT NOW, on the Bulls, who are tied for 1st in their division and 1/2 game out of the best record in their NBA Conference. I've never seen a freshman like him, not even Carmelo. He's like a combo of McGrady and Garnett.

No, I really don't think you can. Sorry.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 01:52 AM)
I suppose since Johnson had just two stars attached to his name, he can't be talented. Let's just forget the fact that he's 6-8 with guard skills and a 41 vertical. And the fact that he has ten double-doubles already. And he's still growing. He was 6-5 last year.

I could care less about stars, Collins is a difference maker and KU's best player in Big 12 play. Wait till he gets the start in a few weeks.

So the bracketbuster games are announced tomorrow, here's a list of the bajillion teams in this thing: http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/columns/060822.htm. Overall, this event is completely watered down but the top games will still be really good. The consensus is that we're going to get Butler which makes the most sense and is something I've been hoping for, so hopefully that's how it turns out. If we do indeed get them, I'll be making the trip to Indy which should be a lot of fun.

Anybody have any matchups they'd like to see? A matchup I'd personally love to see is VCU-Winthrop.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 08:45 AM)
So the bracketbuster games are announced tomorrow, here's a list of the bajillion teams in this thing: http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/columns/060822.htm. Overall, this event is completely watered down but the top games will still be really good. The consensus is that we're going to get Butler which makes the most sense and is something I've been hoping for, so hopefully that's how it turns out. If we do indeed get them, I'll be making the trip to Indy which should be a lot of fun.

Anybody have any matchups they'd like to see? A matchup I'd personally love to see is VCU-Winthrop.

Is it already a given that the Salukis are getting an away game?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
Ya. They set the home/away teams before the season starts.

The Salukis OOC home games next year are gonna be really tough if they draw Butler, but I really like that. If they get Butler in the bracketbuster, they already have Butler and Indiana coming to the Arena, Murray State is always in the mix, and possibly St Marys again. I hope Carlton Fay is as good as Salukitalk.net thinks he is. :)