Broadway making his way to the majors

Rowand44

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
However, take a look at Detroit. Yes they have some young arms but Robertson and Rogers both pitched over there heads (Rogers gets another year older and Robertson is not near as good as he showed during the season). Yes, they have Rodney and Zumaya and both are rock solid but Todd Jones isn't going to keep being sucessful.

The Twins lose Liriano and played ridiculously over there heads (so many career years out of guys like Tyner). The Tribe should be improved (surprised Wedge is still the mgr) and depending on the moves they make, they may become the 2nd best team in the division.

The Sox still are bar none in the best shape of any team in the division and I wouldn't trade our roster with any other team in our division.

Yes, there are still some reasons to think that Detroit and Minny could take steps back next year. Yes, Rogers will regress now that every manager will be watching his hands, and yes it will hurt the Twins to not have Liriano. But the reason this division is so tough is the other parts of those teams...the things that could make them even better.

Detroit...Rogers & Robertson take steps back. Ok, so what happens then? Well, they have Andrew Miller and Zach Miner who both already got big-league experience this year waiting in the winds, and they were without Mike Maroth for 2/3 of the season. There's 2 lefties and another righty who can fill in for any pitcher who does struggle. Offensively, Granderson gets another year to grow up as well, as does Shelton if he can ever find his bat again, and they have this offseason to try to address their need for a high OPS type guy, which they may well do with their playoff green.

Minny, Yes, they lost Liriano. But Mauer and Morneau get another year under their belts, and may just keep getting better (Esp. if Mauer hits a few more HR). They won't start the season with Tony Batista, which has to be worth a few wins right there. And their other pitchers, Bonser and Garza, already have big-league experience under their belts as well. And they still have that bullpen.

And Cleveland looks like they may have a better lineup than any other team in baseball next year if the kids develop. Martinez, Garko, Hafner, Sizemore, Marte, Choo..ouch. The only thing they're missing is a bullpen, which who knows how long before they fix that.

This whole division is on the way up. It's just going to be a question of which team gets its act together the best...all 4 of them can win it with ease. I'm not sure I'd trade our roster for any other teams, but I'm not sure I wouldn't either.

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
minnesota scares the bejesus outta me next year. Especially with hunter presumably healthy the whole year, and mauer/morneaux...yikes.

Barring some big moves their season is going to hinge on Liriano being healthy, and that's not going to happen.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
Barring some big moves their season is going to hinge on Liriano being healthy, and that's not going to happen.

Honestly, I don't think it does. It'd be a big bonus to them if it happened, but I think they can get by without it. I think their performance will wind up hanging on Garza & Bonser, & Silva to some extent if he's still there. Garza & Bonser are the 2 question marks though...we know what Santana will give them, we know what their bullpen will give them, we know their offense is just going to keep getting better as long as Mauer and Morneau stay healthy and they don't start the season with Tony Batista...the question is going to be those middle-of-the-rotation starters. If those guys put up average numbers, then the Twins can be really good. If they struggle in their 2nd years, then the Twins basically have Santana.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
Honestly, I don't think it does. It'd be a big bonus to them if it happened, but I think they can get by without it. I think their performance will wind up hanging on Garza & Bonser, & Silva to some extent if he's still there. Garza & Bonser are the 2 question marks though...we know what Santana will give them, we know what their bullpen will give them, we know their offense is just going to keep getting better as long as Mauer and Morneau stay healthy and they don't start the season with Tony Batista...the question is going to be those middle-of-the-rotation starters. If those guys put up average numbers, then the Twins can be really good. If they struggle in their 2nd years, then the Twins basically have Santana.

I don't think highly of Garza at all and I think Boof is basically going to be a league average starter. As for their offense, it's going to regress. Nick Punto, Jason Bartlett and Jason Tyner are not going to have seasons like they did this year, not even close.

I like Broadway. Haven't seen him pitch. But he doesn't seem to have the upside of a BMac or even Haeger. Haeger could go against the Yankees and put up 0's. Yet I like Haeger for the bullpen as he could go 100 innings, relieving a lot of pressure from the others

Yet SP is always valuable. Just look at how Suppan and Weaver did in the playoffs this yr. Guys who eat innings will have a long career in the bigs. Broadway seems like that type.

The sox have a done a great job projecting how their own minor leaguers will do. I trust what they wind up doing w/ Lance.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
IMO, Garza is going to surprise some people next season. His stuff is just too good. I can just see him overacheiving a bit as well.

Agreed. He looked quite good at some of his starts towards the end of the season, and you know he's only going to get better with experience at the major league level.

They'll need to Carlos Silva to rebound though, especially if Liriano misses the majority of the season with Radke also going.