Broadway making his way to the majors

Rowand44

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
I really hope the B Mac bullpen experience last year teaches us not to follow the same path with Lance in 2007.

The problem is there is no room without injury. He could be a good pen arm if we need someone. Guys start their careers in the pen all the time, it just didn't work out for BMAC. Didnt help that our manager failed to put BMAC in the rotation when he deserved to be there.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
The problem is there is no room without injury. He could be a good pen arm if we need someone. Guys start their careers in the pen all the time, it just didn't work out for BMAC. Didnt help that our manager failed to put BMAC in the rotation when he deserved to be there.

It also didn't help that BMac's usage out of the pen was ungodly inconsistent last year.

Haeger I think is almost certainly going to follow the BMac "To the pen" path this year if he's not traded, which is probably the right thing to do with him (MMac, Thornton, Haeger, Jenks...hit that sh*t)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
It also didn't help that BMac's usage out of the pen was ungodly inconsistent last year.

Haeger I think is almost certainly going to follow the BMac "To the pen" path this year if he's not traded, which is probably the right thing to do with him (MMac, Thornton, Haeger, Jenks...hit that sh*t)

I'm very PRO Haeger, and the thought of seeing him alot with the big club makes me smile, i :wub: Knucklers.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
Yeah cause guys never work out moving from the pen to starter.

That pitcher with the number 56, he never was in the pen before moving to become a starter.

Or the one who wears 57 up north a bit. Didn't work out for him neither...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)

I would like to see Haeger in the pen. Even if he isn't that great, he could eat up a ton of innings.

I don't mind Haeger as the last guy in the pen, as long as we upgrade in a couple areas (ie Riske/Bmac). Obviously Bmac would be going to the pen.

I think the biggest upgrade we could make would be Cotts rediscovering things. In fact, that seems to be the sentiment about our entire rotation (especially with Buehrle).

We'd be light-years better with the regular Mark Buehrle and the Neal Cotts of 05 (or a very similar version). In fact we'd probably be playing in the series.

We really don't have as many holes as people think, but get a replacement for Riske thats rock solid, open up a spot for Brandon and drastically tweak our outfield/top of the order (and that could also involve a new SS being our leadoff hitter).

I don't know, I think I am the only person who doesn't think putting Haeger in the bullpen is a good idea. He's an awesome pitcher who I would like to see up with the big club, but I feel he would be more of an asset in our rotation. I just picture good ol' Ozzie bringing him into a tight game, and after a wild knuckler eludes AJ's mit, an opposing runner now is in scoring position.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
I don't know, I think I am the only person who doesn't think putting Haeger in the bullpen is a good idea. He's an awesome pitcher who I would like to see up with the big club, but I feel he would be more of an asset in our rotation. I just picture good ol' Ozzie bringing him into a tight game, and after a wild knuckler eludes AJ's mit, an opposing runner now is in scoring position.

I was concerned about the same thing, but you know what changed my mind? Charlie Haeger. He came up in September and looked damn good mostly coming out of the bullpen. If he can succeed in that role for a month, then it's perfectly fair to ask him to do it some more.

I'll probably get slammed for saying this, but I'd role the dice and trade 2 (anyone but Garland/Mac) of our starting pitchers. Then insert Haeger into the rotation. You could always skip him in the rotation on off days, which would somewhat limit his starts. Get bullpen help/prospects, turn around and trade a package of prospects for Crawford.

QUOTE(kane0730 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
I'll probably get slammed for saying this, but I'd role the dice and trade 2 (anyone but Garland/Mac) of our starting pitchers. Then insert Haeger into the rotation. You could always skip him in the rotation on off days, which would somewhat limit his starts. Get bullpen help/prospects, turn around and trade a package of prospects for Crawford.

I understand where you're coming from, but I would add the caveat that you should only do that if what you can get back for the 2 starters is really, really worth it. Either way it would save us an extra $10 million next year which could be put to good use...but you've got to admit it's risky to just throw a knuckleballer into your 5th starter spot. At least if he struggles we have Broadway at the AAA level as well, but hopefully if we're dealing 2 starters we'd be getting something back in the mold of a young starter as well.

And the 2004 season convinced me that skipping pitchers on off-days more than once or twice in a season is just a terrible idea.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
I don't mind Haeger as the last guy in the pen, as long as we upgrade in a couple areas (ie Riske/Bmac). Obviously Bmac would be going to the pen.

I think the biggest upgrade we could make would be Cotts rediscovering things. In fact, that seems to be the sentiment about our entire rotation (especially with Buehrle).

We'd be light-years better with the regular Mark Buehrle and the Neal Cotts of 05 (or a very similar version). In fact we'd probably be playing in the series.

We really don't have as many holes as people think, but get a replacement for Riske thats rock solid, open up a spot for Brandon and drastically tweak our outfield/top of the order (and that could also involve a new SS being our leadoff hitter).

:notworthy :notworthy These guys won 90 games, Buerhle being Buerhle puts them in the playoffs. The team doesn't need a major overhaul, just slightly better years from a few guys.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
:notworthy :notworthy These guys won 90 games, Buerhle being Buerhle puts them in the playoffs. The team doesn't need a major overhaul, just slightly better years from a few guys.

Problem with that of course is it assumes nothign else would go wrong next year. Dye won't fall back to 30 home runs and 90 RBi instead of 40 and 120, Thome won't get hurt, Crede's back won't interfere too much, the Tigers, Twins, Indians, and Royals won't all be significantly better next year, etc.

This team is going to need more htan "Slightly" better years from a few guys if we want to keep pace with the other teams in our own division. We need significantly better years from several guys (mostly the pitching staff), and for quite a few other guys to not drop off.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
I really hope the B Mac bullpen experience last year teaches us not to follow the same path with Lance in 2007.

that's ridiculous. time and time again starters make their way through the bullpen. And BMac's experience has been a good one, if you listen to him. And Ozzie. And Kenny.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
Problem with that of course is it assumes nothign else would go wrong next year. Dye won't fall back to 30 home runs and 90 RBi instead of 40 and 120, Thome won't get hurt, Crede's back won't interfere too much, the Tigers, Twins, Indians, and Royals won't all be significantly better next year, etc.

This team is going to need more htan "Slightly" better years from a few guys if we want to keep pace with the other teams in our own division. We need significantly better years from several guys (mostly the pitching staff), and for quite a few other guys to not drop off.

Which is why I think we got to focus on upgrading the defense (in CF and LF) and find a legit leadoff hitter. We do that and we are in very very good shape. Get an arm in the pen and make a move to open up the rotation for Brandon (which also free's up some money and should get us a top prospect or two).

Even if Dye and Crede fall back to more pedestrian numbers we know they are still solid players and that our offense is still one of the best in baseball (especially with a legit top of the order). I'm much more concerned with getting that leadoff guy and making sure we have a legit CF playing everyday (and not Mack) and someone not as awful as Pods in LF.

If we can get a leadoff hitter that plays LF, outstanding, otherwise move Uribe and find a SS that can leadoff. And no, I'm not against the Juan Pierre experiment, but if we get him we'd probably have to find some offense in CF.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)

However, take a look at Detroit. Yes they have some young arms but Robertson and Rogers both pitched over there heads (Rogers gets another year older and Robertson is not near as good as he showed during the season). Yes, they have Rodney and Zumaya and both are rock solid but Todd Jones isn't going to keep being sucessful.

The Twins lose Liriano and played ridiculously over there heads (so many career years out of guys like Tyner). The Tribe should be improved (surprised Wedge is still the mgr) and depending on the moves they make, they may become the 2nd best team in the division.

The Sox still are bar none in the best shape of any team in the division and I wouldn't trade our roster with any other team in our division.